Suikoden United and Irenic Knowledge Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Bright Eyes is no new age Dylan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drakken

The Crimson Sword

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Bright Eyes is no new age Dylan Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well as I was up studying for an ME exam I was nowhere near prepared for and old episode of the Tonight Show came on and had Bright Eyes playing his song "When the President talks to God". I have heard so much about his two relatively new albums: "Digital Ash for the Digital Urn" and "I'm Wide Awake Its Morning", and have listened to both alot haha it is suprisingly the perfect background music when your realizing your a miserable failure and that the chance of you joining a band that actually makes it and graduating with any honors are not that far from each other :lol: Anyway back to the topic at hand. Conner Oberst, Bright Eyes, is an awesome songwriter, and I highly recommend him to anyone who likes "out of the box" music, but to call the young songwriter the next Dylan is completely wrong to me.

so the reason I'm posting is I'm wondering am I the only one that thinks this way, I hear the relation between him and Dylan it seems to be everywhere, am I not just getting the music?

By the way, I'm not a Bush hater or lover, but for anyone who dislikes him the song "when the President Talks to God" says some strong stuff and has been said to be a newage version of the anti-Nixon songs
And when your deepest thoughts are broken,
Keep on dreaming boy, cause when you stop dreamin? it?s time to die.
Seraph

Seraphim Field Marshals

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bright Eyes, while wonderful; is certainly no new age Dylan. Oberst natural quaver seems almost self parodical at times, but in truth its not really....Dylan utilised his voice effectively in so so so many ways, despite not being naturally gifted as a singer. but he still managed to push boundaries with his voice.
Dylan created more perfect albums than anyone. Blonde On Blonde, Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisted, Blood On The Tracks......to name a handful...these were all five star albums.
Bright Eyes made a perfect album with 'i'm wide awake....' (A Modern Classic) but his previous albums were patchy at best (IMHO...although Lifted was pretty good....the first track is awful though....the fake Radio interview in Fevers and Mirrors is laughingly embarrassing).....Nothing Gets Crossed out is my fave Bright Eyes song, as i can identify with it almost perfectly. He is a superb lyricist, much like Dylan, and he's a prodigy of sorts. i think Bright Eyes is destined to be legendary and something special i must sy...but whether he'll ever repeat Dylans sky scraping feats....i'm unsure.

X
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: