Suikoden Utopian and Inspirational Kosher Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Troy a true rune bearer?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Troy a true rune bearer? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As you can tell fmo the title, the scarlet assassin has cooked up another one of his crazy theories (I.E. Roundier Haia and the true rune of the battle god, Elenor saved Cray because she loves him, Hugo's father is Luca Blight)

In this essay I plan to show some evidence and make the claim that Troy, commander of Kooluk's first fleet, bore the true water rune. Granted, this will all be very circumstancial, and you have every right to call heresy on me, but please hear me out.

I will begin with a statement made by Commander Glen; at the graduation ceremony in Raziril, the commander claims that years earlier, he fought a man that was around the same age of the graduates, judging from the ages we've seen (Snowe is 19, the others are younger) we can correctly estimate that Troy was (or appeared to be) between 16 and 21 at the time of this battle, when we know his age to be 25.

Later on, you meet Troy, and needless to say he STOMPS you, proving once again that he is a little stronger than someone his age should be. But more importantly, you will notice that he appears to be very young, when in reality he is 32, now ask yourself, did Troy appear to be 32 years old? The way he was treated by the others, would you expect him to have been that old? No. Cray, Colton, and the Governer all treated him like a child, thanks (in my mind) to the fact that he appears to be very young, this is, in my mind, a clear instance of a true rune preserving the youth, and immortalizing its bearer.

My next piece of "proof" is his nickname "The child of the sea god", this could refer to his incredible abilities as a ship's captain, once again saying that the water is on his side, OR it could be some sort of allusion to an affinity with the element, which would be synonomous with holding the true rune of that element.

Another thing that can be construed as "proof" is his hesitance when chasing the rune of punishment, this can relate to his own true water rune in two ways. Firstly, he could know the immense power of a true rune, and therefore wish to avoid it; or he could be afraid that once Kooluk has offered the rune to Harmonia, they will begin searching the region for other true runes so that they may pay homage to the Holy Kingdom.

The last thing I can think of (for now) is the last time you see him. After being defeated by Hero4, Troy states that the life of the sea runs through his veins, a silly metaphor? I THINK NOT! More like him almost saying "Water is in me!!!!!!!" And after he says that, he chooses to sink into the sea, saying that he's returning to the water.

All of this combined has left the distinct impression in my mind that Troy of Kooluk, at one time, bore the true water rune. Anyone else think it's possible, or even PROBABLE?

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

But more importantly, you will notice that he appears to be very young, when in reality he is 32, now ask yourself, did Troy appear to be 32 years old? The way he was treated by the others, would you expect him to have been that old?

No, but it makes no real difference. Troy looks young but a lot of characters do. I would've guessed him in at around 27 but 32 is hardly a huge leap.

Quote:

Cray, Colton, and the Governer all treated him like a child, thanks (in my mind) to the fact that he appears to be very young, this is, in my mind, a clear instance of a true rune preserving the youth, and immortalizing its bearer.

When? Evidence, not assumptions is what we need.

Quote:

My next piece of "proof" is his nickname "The child of the sea god", this could refer to his incredible abilities as a ship's captain, once again saying that the water is on his side, OR it could be some sort of allusion to an affinity with the element, which would be synonomous with holding the true rune of that element.

A nickname is not proof of anything. That can be construed so many ways it's not funny.

Quote:

Another thing that can be construed as "proof" is his hesitance when chasing the rune of punishment, this can relate to his own true water rune in two ways. Firstly, he could know the immense power of a true rune, and therefore wish to avoid it; or he could be afraid that once Kooluk has offered the rune to Harmonia, they will begin searching the region for other true runes so that they may pay homage to the Holy Kingdom.

Neither option, if true, means he has a True Rune in any way.

Quote:

The last thing I can think of (for now) is the last time you see him. After being defeated by Hero4, Troy states that the life of the sea runs through his veins, a silly metaphor? I THINK NOT! More like him almost saying "Water is in me!!!!!!!" And after he says that, he chooses to sink into the sea, saying that he's returning to the water.

Why isn't it a 'silly' metaphor? Sounds very much like a born sailors love of the sea to me.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Troy basically admits he knows nothing about True Runes during the game. He is as likely a true rune bearer canditate as someone like Gareth or Chadli.
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

He never says that he knows nothing about true runes. It soudned more to me like he was trying to steer them away from the subject. But hey, I guess I'm alone in this belief, but SARS, really, I think it's a even a BIT more likely that Troy would have one than Gareth.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Notice how Gareth never mentions True Runes or any runes at all? Sounds like he's really trying not to bring up the subject.

I wonder why...?
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's really no reason to get mean about it. Jeez.

John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No malice intended but there's always a problem when someone repsonds to a theory and the originator has nothing else to say. A theory without some facts to back it up is nothing. Possible opinion can be used, of course, but it only carries something so far before you need something more tangible.
Barbarossa Rugner

The Golden Mercenaries

5685455 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Haha, after reading John Layfield's original response i couldn't help but remember the first days of suikox. The days when the suikoden assumptions and rumors shelter had four houses who competed by creating theories and trying to discredit them for points. I was just wondering if it reminded anyone else of those early days. I was in house matilda if anyone is wondering.

Yes i know this was really random.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
butters

The Keeping It Real Krew

1000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Im just going to throw this out there..

Uhm...If he had a true rune why not use it?

It obviously would have helped him...theres to many problem with your theory.

RIP Eddie 1967 - 2005
Neclord

The Spectral Nightmares

163602 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield wrote:
No malice intended but there's always a problem when someone repsonds to a theory and the originator has nothing else to say. A theory without some facts to back it up is nothing. Possible opinion can be used, of course, but it only carries something so far before you need something more tangible.

Indeed, one must always be able to defend their theory, retaliate against, and refute any criticism.

I really don't get what Troy fans see in him, and why speculations about him surface. I guess it is a hope that he didn't die and will return. That said, it COULD be possible that he holds a true rune, anything is possible no matter how remote, though I think people should just accept it...the dude is dead.

You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't have a problem accepting that he is dead. ALl of these things just added up to suspicion in my crazy head I guess.

Anyway, I really can't offer any argument against your saying "Sounds like the words of a sailor to me" because it is opinion.

I also can't defend against "Well he looks this old to me" because it's also an opinion.

If you want the proof of the others treating him differently due to youth, watch any of the scenes where they are in the meeting room. Also when Colton says that it is the responsibility of Troy's generation to build the future, and the statement "He's quite a baby"

All of my statements were, admittedly, a bit vague (Shrew would be proud), but refuting them with opinions and "Well I don't remember that" does not make them untrue.

DocFrance

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, come on. Everyone knows Chadli is the bearer of the Beast Rune. It's, like, so obvious.
Wolf Stew

Riders on the Storm

29081 Potch
43 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the major problem with this theory is that Troy never makes an attempt to use his true rune (assuming he had one). True rune bearers in the past Suikoden games almost always use it in some way or admit to possessing it, for example:

Ted in Suikoden 1 when he fights the Queen Ant.
Leknaat in Suikoden 1, when during the last battle she zaps away many of Windy's monsters.
Luc in Suikoden 2, when he uses his True Wind Rune in the battle near North Window.
Geddoe in Suikoden 3, admitting to possessing the True Lightning Rune to Joker, and of course using it later on when you control him in your party.
Edgar in Suikoden 4, using the Rune of Punishment and eventually dying because of it.
Ditto Glen, in Suikoden 4.
I don't think Sasarai has ever used the True Earth Rune he possesses (of his own accord....obviously you can use it when you control him in your party, though), but it's clear that he bears it.

So you'd think that Troy would use a true rune at some point if he possessed one, especially when it was clear he was going to be defeated in battle (and would die as a result). Personally, I think Troy was just a dedicated sea captain and a lover of the sea, and he figured that if he had to die, it was best to do it at sea.
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sasarai uses the True Earth Rune to avoid Luc's wind attack in Suikoden 2. Also, Pirate King Edgar never possessed the Rune of Punishment. I'm assuming you meant Brandeau there.

I think the theory is feasible, but there's just so much evidence to contradict it. The fact that Troy seems to be quite ignorant about True Runes in general seems to make the theory suspect. Of course, he could have been faking ignorance, but that just doesn't seem very likely. You could also say that most True Rune bearers have very little knowledge about other True Runes, though. This would exclude Leknaat, Hikusaak and Windy, but they are special cases.

The fact is that Troy never displayed any unnatural magical powers. His fleet just outmaneuvered the the Razril fleet when he destroyed them with his single ship. This was not due to any sort of runic power, but sheer talent and better training which Glen mentions and why Glen is training the new recruits so hard. He said they were outmatched in training, not power.

Troy is just another more than average character, but he does not seem to be more significant than that. But, I do like the theory despite its flaws although I despise Troy's character. To be such a talented naval captain he was weak and easily manipulated. I just couldn't grow to like him.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay so I don't think Troy had a True Rune because thats just a bit outlandish. But lets say he did, just for jollies. Firstly, he would have not the True Water Rune but the True Wind Rune. Heres a lil explanation as why I think its just as plausible as the water rune if not more so.
1-He uses a wind spell in the first confrontation with Hero4.
2-Child of the Sea God. Why not Child of the Water God? Sea was important and usually seas have to do with sailing and ships. For ships to sail there must be two things(with the resources they had assumibly in that time frame): Wind and Water. If water was so important he would have been the Child of the Water God but the Wind had much more impact on the boats than the water did and it would seem that he is a boat going fellow.(I'm a bit tired but I feel like doing this now so pardon me if I'm a bit hard to interpret). So in recap Sea->Sailing->Wind not Water.
3-Why would he need a boat if he had the rune? Assuming that the True Water Rune has the undocumented power of aqualung, why would he even use a boat. With wind he would have control over the winds that power and move the boat. This ones a bit out there but it leads into the 4th one.
4-Glen said they were out manuvered. A phrase sailors sometimes use to describe such an event would be "the wind wasn't with us". The wind. Having to defend a great fortress may give one a promotion and having the means to do it with magic and have no one know would be just great. So Troy used his True Wind Rune to give his fleet the advantage and used the battle as a jump-off for his military career.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: