Suikoden Uncouth and Illusional Kibbutz Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

083 - Worlds Apart

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JasonPaul

66249 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: 083 - Worlds Apart Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"We have a nice little reunion and it ends up getting shot to hell over something like this," Miwan said in disgust. She was the only one, other than Andrew, who was in the UN president's room right now. She was the only one brave (or foolish) enough to go near him in his rage (which had quelled considerably by then).

"I know the feeling," Andrew replied. "Did Wight find out anything?"

Miwan shook her head. "Red saw the man before he made the shot, but she said he didn't look that suspicious. Not that it matters. What's done is done."

"Is he awake yet?"

Another shake of the head. "Still out of it. Between the combination of blood loss and a concussion he'll probably be out for a while."

"What do you think our chances are of getting him to talk?" Andrew asked.

"Based on what he's done so far?" Miwan asked. "Fifty-fifty. He didn't put the gun to his own head immediately afterwards, if that's any consolation. I'm actually more worried that someone else will silence him."

Andrew gritted his teeth. "I just want to find the bastard responsible," he said bitterly.

After a few seconds of hesitation, Miwan asked, "And then what?"

"What the hell do you think?" Andrew asked, raising his voice. "When I get my hands on him I'll--"

"And how do you think that will reflect upon the UN?" Miwan asked quietly.

The question actually stopped Andrew in his tracks. All this time he had thought only of vengeance without contemplating the repercussions of said actions. Indeed, depending on who the culprit ended up being, an informal execution could actually ruin much of the goodwill that the UN had built up, or worse, make them look like another UPCA. It would have been one thing if someone like Akira killed the murderer, or even if an angry UN officer had done the deed, but if the UN president himself had done it...

"God," Andrew said, putting a palm to his forehead. "I don't know what to do anymore..."

"You've done a lot of great things already, Andrew," Miwan said with a faint smile.

"I feel like it's all for naught, though," Andrew replied, remembering how quickly everything fell to pieces.

"You got them to listen, Andrew. If only for a brief moment."

Andrew looked at the felinefolk, almost in despair. "What do you suggest I do now?"

"Be the leader you are," Miwan replied. "Find the one responsible and expose him, before all hell breaks loose." After a long pause, Miwan added, "At least, I think that's what my husband would say."

Andrew sighed heavily. "He'd probably be telling me what a fool I was to even be doing this."

"He's always said you were naive," Miwan replied. "He never once said you were a fool, or that you were weak."

Upon hearing this, the UN president closed his eyes and let out a deep sigh, as if a great weight had been lifted. "Thanks. That makes me feel a little better."

Khali stood outside the tent, waiting for Miwan with her arms folded across her chest. She didn't like human congregations (or humans in general), and hoped that Miwan would continue her search for Akira soon. That seemed unlikely, however, as Miwan was a longtime friend of Andrew, and if Khali knew Miwan like she thought she did, Miwan would be glad to help find the man responsible for Reynolds' death. Unless, of course, an important development turned up in the search. "Whatever Wight was offering had better be very good," Khali thought to herself.

She sighed as she watched the human soldiers, UN officials, and various others walk past her. Some occasionally stared at her in curiosity, but the icy glare she shot back was enough of a deterrent.

"I don't belong here," she muttered. Although that was quite an understatement, Khali reminded herself that she didn't belong anywhere. She had long been a supporter of her would-be husband, Soljin Deimos, who was now persona non grata among the Mystics. Khali was little more than a replica of an age best forgotten amongst her people. Most Mystics, in fact, hated her, for although Khali had absolutely nothing to do with Soljin's mad plans to call forth the firelord Maram, "guilt by association" was not wholly a human concept, even though she was away from the Mystic underground at the time and did not, in fact, return until a whole three years after Soljin purged one third of the Mystic race, completely unaware during this time of all that happened. Despite this, Silf offered Khali a place in New Belexes. Khali turned it down, however. "The world of Mystics has changed," she told Silf, "and it is a world where I no longer belong."

"Why have you been staring at me all this time?" Khali coldly asked the One Nation soldier who had been glancing in her direction from time to time.

Costanza winced at the ice in the woman's words, but did not run away in terror like most humans did. "You're Khali Ventrue, aren't you?"

Khali's eyes cast towards the man. He looked entirely human except for his eyes, which were an unnatural shade of red. While this was usually not enough to cast suspicion among most humans, Khali, who had lived with Mystics her whole life, was not so easily fooled. "What if I am?" she asked.

"Nothing," Costanza said nonchalantly. "I just never thought I'd ever see you face to face, that's all. You're something of a celebrity."

Khali closed her eyes. "So is Anwyn," she replied. "Why not bother him?"

"Yeah, but everyone knows Anwyn," Costanza replied. "He's always been visible. Someone like you only comes around once in a blue moon."

Khali's eyes opened again. "If that was a pick-up line, then you need to do better than that."

Costanza couldn't help but laugh at Khali's words. "No, it wasn't," Costanza said. "But I'll keep that in mind."

Somehow, Khali couldn't help but find herself unwillingly drawn into the conversation. "So why's a Mystic working for One Nation? This United States reclaimation project has nothing to do with us."

Costanza didn't really find it all that surprising that Khali figured out what he was, and simply answered the question. "It has more to do with my comrades than any loyalty to a piece of land."

"Fair enough," Khali replied. "Still, I thought the rule was 'Don't get involved in human affairs.'"

Costanza just shrugged. "I'm not affiliated with New Belexes, although I do go there from time to time. Nice place, isn't it?"

"I wouldn't know," Khali said quietly. "I live in Sweden."

Costanza raised an eyebrow. "I didn't think anyone lived there."

"No one does," Khali replied. "It's nice and quiet there."

"Don't you have any friends?"

Khali shrugged. "For instance? I've never gotten along well with humans, and Mystics generally don't like me either."

"What about Miwan?"

"She's more of an old acquaintance than a friend, really," Khali replied. At that moment Blue and Red walked into Andrew's tent. Khali didn't pay this any mind, until Miwan emerged a few seconds later.

"The information on Akira just got here," Miwan said to Khali. "I'm going to Wight's to see it now."
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Midnight Dawn All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: