Suikoden United and Irrational Kosher Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Sword of Order and Shield of Chaos
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:08 am    Post subject: Sword of Order and Shield of Chaos Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In book 5 of the Suikoden III manga (which I only just got) it states the Sword of Order and the Shield of Choas.

Is this official information now or is it a mistranslation? I know it was edited by Udi Hoh, but I'm just curious if it is now official as I remember long discussions in the past over which Sword and Shield represented Order of Chaos.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I read the same part as well. I'm not sure myself, but I recall when I was doing the Suikoden RP I started before it fell apart, and someone mentioned that the Sword represented Order and the Shield represented Chaos. But any average person would believe that the Shield was Order and the Sword was Chaos due to their very natures: shields protect, swords harm.

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The translation is apparantly right.

The concept is that Sword represents power and thus the status quo, so, in other words, Order and that Shield represents protection and therefore freedom to do as you wish, so, with that concept, Chaos.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's an interesting perspective to take, I quite like it in fact. Then again Suikoden has always been based on interesting concepts of duality and such so i shouldn't expect less these days.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
El Leon

Arias

73841 Potch
40 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Everyone thought it about that way but it seems the author decided to use a different kind of thinking. It is unique in a way of seeing it in a sense.
Earthquake923

SB90's Mechanized Monsters

179201 Potch
0 Soldiers
778121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Benit149 wrote:
I read the same part as well. I'm not sure myself, but I recall when I was doing the Suikoden RP I started before it fell apart, and someone mentioned that the Sword represented Order and the Shield represented Chaos. But any average person would believe that the Shield was Order and the Sword was Chaos due to their very natures: shields protect, swords harm.

I was going to say almost the same exact thing. A sword swing around wildly to me is very choatic. A shield that stays and blocks seems more ordered to me. No one ever got a limb cut off sccidently by a shield.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, but the average person is a complete and total idiot and as such I'm glad Suikoden does not cater to the lowest common denominator by making such gross sweeping stereotypical observations.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Kit-Kit

Blue Poppy

4655 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's actually a really cool concept.
Eggith Cyrene

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well Its in the manga So thats bascially carght blanche legitimacy right there. I agree with it.

Anyone know when the next one comes out? im anxious to read (not to mention actulary buy books 3-5)

Suikoden 5 didnt make me less of a fan; it restored my faith after the abomination that was suikoden 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's in the manga yes, but that doesn't mean it's not a mistranslation. Take the Krowli/Crowley incident. HowlingGuild may have overlooked the passage and it was translated incorrectly.

What I'd like is someone who's read the Japanese version, to see if that was written the same as well.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Eggith Cyrene

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As far as i know there arent that many people here who know japenese. Blue moon obvisouly can (and i think he read the books a while ago? not sure there)

Lebenergal can read japenese. but i dont see him importing the japenese books

Suikoden 5 didnt make me less of a fan; it restored my faith after the abomination that was suikoden 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can read... very little ^_^ I'm about as good a reader as... well, prolly a first grader. I think. Anyway, I just wanted to point out, I don't think HowlingGuild worked on the volume that had the Krowli mistake in it. Wasn't that like volume two or three? At the time I heard about it, only four volumes came out, and my understanding was that she only worked on the first and the fourth. I don't know what her involvement has been since, since I've been too poor to buy the books for myself.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You're single handedly causing Konami to go bankrupt by not buying the books and not supporting Suikoden. For shame.

I think I've made too much of a big deal about this, but I remember discussion long into the night about which would be right, and it'd be nice if this was official - as I'd have been proven right for once.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Sasarai

The way of Hikusaak

3243 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I suppose that we could look at it this way. When complete and utter chaos ensues what is the first thing you look for? A means of protecting your family friends and loved ones. Thus the Shield embodies a state of chaos.

Once peace has been reached what do you use to keep that order and peace that you have achieved? A sword. To rule and keep everything and everyone in check and on the right path. Thus the sword embodies a state of order.

Simple in my opinion.

Knights

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hear that Yuber and Pesmerga represent The Sword and Shield.

"The Blood of the sea flows through my veins, I return to it now to be reborn" Troy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: