Suikoden Uncanny and Inspirational Knowledge Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

015 - A Fine Way to Ruin the Day

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: 015 - A Fine Way to Ruin the Day Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is where it starts to pick up.

[size=150:2z277ad7]A Fine Way to Ruin the Day

[p:2z277ad7]"Sam, Tzimisces is on line one," Reynolds' secretary called from the adjacent room. He paused and took a deep breath before answering the phone. This call could be crucial. If the rumors had any founding, Clarence Croft's next target was clear. The last thing Samuel wanted was a physical conflict. As the 'president' of his people keeping bloodshed to a minimum was job one, but his equally respected general Karn Tzimisces didn't generally share this view, nor did the bulk of the population. Convincing him to let Croft have his way with the state-nation would prove a nearly impossible task, and One Nation had a reputation for opening fire on the slightest sign of resistance. This call could mean a massacre. "Hello," he reluctantly answered.[/p:2z277ad7]
[p:2z277ad7]"Sam, it's Karn," a deep and commanding voice responded. "I have some bad news."[/p:2z277ad7]
[p:2z277ad7]Reynolds closed his eyes. "Well, get to it then."[/p:2z277ad7]
[p:2z277ad7]"About an hour ago Croft rolled in to the western region with a preliminary force of about 100. A small group outside of our jurisdiction immediately engaged them and the skirmish resulted in a lot of civilian casualties. A lot of the local population has since crossed the boarder. Those who could took arms, strengthening our own force. We took in about 5000 people in total, approximately 1000 of which are prepared to fight."[/p:2z277ad7]
[p:2z277ad7]"Can you contain them?" Reynolds questioned.[/p:2z277ad7]
[p:2z277ad7]"The people are restless, but One Nation has yet to approach us. As long as they keep their distance from the boarder I can maintain the peace. It is my belief that they will attempt to reclaim all of the outermost towns first before making any advancement on us. In Croft's mind forcing us all in to one area will just make us easier targets," Tzimisces concluded. His logic was sound. In addition to better supplies One Nation possessed a decent amount of artillery which they were no doubt eager to use. They faced a haphazard group of minute men and guerrilla fighters. By compounding the group they not only encouraged internal discord but also limited movement drastically. These new troops could potentially cause more harm than good. Not every rebel leader was as democratic and for the people as Reynolds. These towns were outside of the boarder for a reason.[/p:2z277ad7]
[p:2z277ad7]"Well, we can't just turn the refugees away, but this is going to be a logistical nightmare. Croft could just as easily be setting up some sort of siege. Food will have to be rationed, and we'll need to establish our authority fast. I'll try to organize a meeting to work all of this out. Until then just try to keep the peace," Reynolds concluded.[/p:2z277ad7]
[p:2z277ad7]"Roger that, and Sam, don't stress yourself too much. The people look up to you. You're not just a leader, you're a symbol of everything we stand for. If diplomacy falls though they'll need you. I'll contact you again if the situation changes." Tzimisces hung up the phone. Reynolds lit a cigarette and tried to go over in his mind again the plan he'd been working on all day. An independent state they may be, but one in its infancy. The bulk of the administrative burden still fell upon its president. Long they'd expected such an assault, but with no prior conflicts from which to gain experience and such a formidable foe at their front door the dire state of affairs could only now begin to set in. Reynolds picked the phone back up and began to dial the first of many tedious calls necessary to prepare a peaceful land for potential war.[/p:2z277ad7]
---------------------------------------

[p:2z277ad7]'Coffee is a heavenly device,' Croft thought to himself as he took another sip from his steaming mug. Truly, any man who did not enjoy that magnificent aroma and delectable flavor, that short rush of energy as the liquid touched the lips, could not be sane. Croft drank his coffee black exclusively. Cream and sugar were a repulsive concept. Why would someone want to taint that which was already perfect? He took another sip and smiled. The day had been a success, due in great part to their speed. Less than 24 hours prior the group had still been situated in St. Louis. By closing off route 70 to the public and moving in full force down the highway Croft managed to catch the boarder region quite off guard. Ohio was their last major target.[/p:2z277ad7]
[p:2z277ad7]Croft sat in the back of windowless heavily armored vehicle with nothing but a radio transmitter, laptop computer, and two indistinguishable grunts tasked to maintain them. A pile of papers sat in his lap displaying various statistics of their encounters thus far. A casualty report confirmed not a single fatality within One Nation, and only a few non-critical wounded. Of his 'enemies' about 400 had been killed thus far. A significant handful of these had been women and children fleeing for their lives, but that didn't seem to faze him. The people of these boarder towns seemed to him very indecisive in their loyalties. While some had fled, others openly embraced his coming. In his mind One Nation was the great liberator. The very idea that anyone in this area did not desire 'liberation' was incomprehensible to him. In his black and white world those who'd accepted his coming were treated with the utmost respect deserving of any American citizen. Those who did not were heretics and opposers of peace. While the bulk of the towns did indeed welcome him, those which had not were assailed with no mercy.[/p:2z277ad7]
[p:2z277ad7]The makeup of the towns in this region was unique. Resting near the obscurely defined boarders of Ohio - approximately equidistant between Indianapolis and Columbus - they utilized its independence to form there own. Some remained loyal to the United States, some became self-sufficient, and still others were ruthlessly run by mobs, gangs, and monarchs. The foremost of these were ignored entirely, while the latter were attacked only minimally, allowing the most unaccommodating ruffians free passage into Ohio in the hopes that they would instigate internal strife. It was thus those unlucky 'peaceful independents' that suffered most. One Nation entered every village looking for blood, and at the slightest sign that the population might defend their leaders they made no hesitation in murdering any and every thing in their path. Whether such atrocities weighed on Croft's conscience or not he had at least the wisdom to keep the media as clueless as possible to their occurrences, thus maintaining One Nation's positive reputation in the public eye.[/p:2z277ad7]
[p:2z277ad7]Under these conditions Croft was no doubt alarmed when an explosion of grand significance nearly tipped his carrier to the side. A most disgusted look crossed his face as neatly stacked papers scattered about in a jumble, the contents of his coffee cup not hesitating to take their place on his lap. The vehicle came to a halt. Without any hesitation however he threw the back doors open, picked up his M16, and hopped out. The truck in front of them was lying on its side in flames, the remnants of its occupants scattered about the road. "What is the meaning of this?" he shouted, walking up to a nearby torso with an enormous stride. He appeared to be quite miffed that the twisted pieces-parts echoed no reply.[/p:2z277ad7]
[p:2z277ad7]A second inquiry was not, however, necessary. As the vehicle he'd just exited moments prior exploded into flames in a similar fashion Croft caught the direction of the blast. The tree line ran close to the road on the left side, and somewhere in there hid the enemy. He dove behind the remains of one of the vehicles for cover and began to scan the area. Over the crackle of flames he could faintly hear the sound of a man chanting. Following the whispers his eyes came to rest on an exceptionally tall man dressed in black robes and standing partially exposed behind a nearby tree. Adrenalin pumping, Croft tried his best to steady his hands and aim his weapon at the figure. The moment it appeared in his sights he opened fire and did not stop until his clip was empty. Only then was he able to pause and regain his composure.[/p:2z277ad7]
[p:2z277ad7]Despite killing dozens of people, Croft's own life had never been in danger to such an extent before. It was a new experience for him, and it felt fantastic. His mouth spread in a grin as he stared at the treeline searching for any signs of movement. The man had to be dead. His sights were dead center. "A clever move my friend!" he called out from behind his cover. "I must say, you put on quite a show! Now do you see where all that sneaking about has gotten you?"[/p:2z277ad7]
[p:2z277ad7]"It's given me quite the advantage," a voice responded from behind him. Before Croft could react he was flying through the air, his body alight with some terrible burning sensation. He hit the ground hard near the trees he'd been staring at a moment prior.[/p:2z277ad7]
[p:2z277ad7]With no time to think he instinctively dove further off the road and into cover. His clothes were charred and he thought for a moment he was still on fire. Realizing that he was not, he shouted out with rage from behind the trees. "What fool wastes his advantage? A hotheaded mage no doubt. You'll regret not killing me!"[/p:2z277ad7]
[p:2z277ad7]"If I'd wished you dead I'd have attacked your car first," the mage called back, standing now in broad daylight in the middle of the road, "but what use would you be then?" He was dressed in one long hooded black cloak running from the top of his head down to the ground around his feet, so that only the man's face and outreached hands were visible.[/p:2z277ad7]
[p:2z277ad7]"Cocky stupid son of a...." Croft muttered to himself while fumbling around to find another magazine. Locked and loaded he jumped out of his hiding spot and started walking straight towards the man, spraying him with bullets. He quickly pulled his cloak up to cover his face and stood there unmoving until Croft was once again out of ammunition. The bullets simply disappeared upon impact.[/p:2z277ad7]
[p:2z277ad7]Croft stared in awe as the man lowered his cloak to once again reveal his pale face, covered end to end with an enormous grin. The bright green eyes sticking out just below his hood seemed to flare for a second. "If you wish to attack head on, Clarence, there are far more efficient ways." He thrust his hands forward and a great bolt of lightning shot out between them, hitting Croft in the chest and slamming him back into a tree. "Are you done playing yet?"[/p:2z277ad7]
[p:2z277ad7]Croft was not. Eyes filled with rage, he pushed himself off of the tree and swung his fist with all his might into the mage. Immediately upon making contact with the cloak his move was stopped dead, and he fell to the ground clutching his hand. It had been like punching a brick wall. It was broken. It had to be broken. Any bravery left in Croft's body was turned to momentary terror. He pulled himself away with his good hand, a miserable heap clawing across the ground. "Wh...who are you?" he barely whispered.[/p:2z277ad7]
[p:2z277ad7]"Ah, so now you wish to have a civilized conversation. Good. My name is Tyne and as you've already observed I am a fairly capable wizard. My business is none of yours, however you seem to be inadvertently involving yourself in it. A ways north of here lies a village of particular interest to me, and it seems to be right along your little path of destruction." Tyne spread his hands once more and Croft cringed waiting for another attack, but none came. Instead he smiled. "I am simply here to ask you to pass it by."[/p:2z277ad7]
[p:2z277ad7]"What a ridiculous statement!" Croft exclaimed, and with some newfound energy forced himself to his feet.[/p:2z277ad7]
[p:2z277ad7]"Sit back down," Tyne commanded, and with a wave of his hand Croft's legs gave way from under him, forcing him to fall rather painfully onto his back. "I know you would never even consider avoiding us after what I've done to you. Your pride would never allow it. I want you to attack, and in your greatest force. This is truly why I've come to you. I wish to forewarn you, and request that you bring along the finest men you can muster. There are many more like me who will be waiting for you. We could use the training, after all." Then he was gone. He disappeared into thin air, leaving a badly bruised, broken, and bewildered Croft in the middle of the road to contemplate these words.[/p:2z277ad7]
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Midnight Dawn All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: