Suikoden United and Inspirational Kriegspiel Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Initial reaction in Japan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Tierkreis Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Initial reaction in Japan Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Skeptics owned.

Further proof that Suikoden has the the most annoying fanbase of a niche, underground rpg franchise. The only way for a good Suikoden game is if it's like 1 or 2 apparently, any new changes or additions are bad. Let's judge the game before it comes out, everyone, this isn't a Suikoden game!
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Frankly I hate final fantasy now because of the changes. They've changed the base so much from what it was the original fans liked about it, that it's just horrible. 7-8-9 were all good, 10 was -okay-, and everything after that was just complete crap. People are worried something similar will happen to Suikoden. Though if you ask me it's a bit unfounded. The only one I didn't like was III and that was the least like Suikoden to me. 1-2-4 and 5 were all great games.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
LTM

14940 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Initial reaction in Japan Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Himuro":bxgo5gw9]Skeptics owned.

Further proof that Suikoden has the the most annoying fanbase of a niche, underground rpg franchise. The only way for a good Suikoden game is if it's like 1 or 2 apparently, any new changes or additions are bad. Let's judge the game before it comes out, everyone, this isn't a Suikoden game!

Hehe...I see someone else remembers the days of Suikoden III's release. It feels exactly the same now as back then doesn't it? People forgot that this isn't a numerical title, and even if it is the future of Suikoden, its better than a future of continuous prequels :roll:

Tierkreis opens up possibilities for larger and more in-depth plots, and for villains to not only threaten one land, one world, but all worlds within the multiverse. Compared to a few people trying to exploit governments of a single nation or a True Rune, thats a much grander scale of things. And of course, the core series world could always return in some fashion. This isn't like Final Fantasy, Suikoden now has playable characters crossing between worlds. Closest thing FF has to that is Gilgamesh (if he counts).

Btw...Konami now considers Castlevania to be an rpg series, and considering its popularity lately (and lack of funding according to Igarashi) its beginning to fit into the "niche" market. And its fanbase is a lot worse than Suikoden's. Though the Suikoden fanbase is REALLY getting close...

Spell to Bind Forever

235341 Potch
0 Soldiers
5809 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thank you! I'm so glad to see there are people out there that agree with me. Until they straight-out say that they're done with the other Suikoden world, why are people freaking out? I'm sick of it. I'm glad to see so much positive thinking in this thread because I've had to put up with nothing but bitching and moaning and people jumping to conclusions since the game was announced.

This change has to do in part to the Japanese reaction which is a relief. I wasn't around in the forums much when SIII came out so if this is what it was like back then, I'm glad I stayed away. XD

That said, I can't wait until the NA release.

RIP Gabriel J. Figueroa 1987-2007
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Initial reaction in Japan Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Himuro":tugujy9c]Tierkreis opens up possibilities for larger and more in-depth plots, and for villains to not only threaten one land, one world, but all worlds within the multiverse. Compared to a few people trying to exploit governments of a single nation or a True Rune, thats a much grander scale of things. And of course, the core series world could always return in some fashion. This isn't like Final Fantasy, Suikoden now has playable characters crossing between worlds. Closest thing FF has to that is Gilgamesh (if he counts).

I always felt the national scope the game had rather than the international "save the world" plot was one of the reasons it was quite different to other RPGs.
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Initial reaction in Japan Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Ujitsuna":37arj4oa][quote="LTM":37arj4oa][q uote="Himuro":37arj4oa]Tierkreis opens up possibilities for larger and more in-depth plots, and for villains to not only threaten one land, one world, but all worlds within the multiverse. Compared to a few people trying to exploit governments of a single nation or a True Rune, thats a much grander scale of things. And of course, the core series world could always return in some fashion. This isn't like Final Fantasy, Suikoden now has playable characters crossing between worlds. Closest thing FF has to that is Gilgamesh (if he counts).

I always felt the national scope the game had rather than the international "save the world" plot was one of the reasons it was quite different to other RPGs.

I agree. But we don't know how this ties in with other games in the series until we have played it. After all, it's not like the Suikoden universe *hasn't* implied or outright said that there are multiple worlds within its worldview.

[quote="Darko":37arj4oa]Thank you! I'm so glad to see there are people out there that agree with me. Until they straight-out say that they're done with the other Suikoden world, why are people freaking out? I'm sick of it. I'm glad to see so much positive thinking in this thread because I've had to put up with nothing but bitching and moaning and people jumping to conclusions since the game was announced.

This change has to do in part to the Japanese reaction which is a relief. I wasn't around in the forums much when SIII came out so if this is what it was like back then, I'm glad I stayed away. XD

That said, I can't wait until the NA release.

I've been saying the same thing since it was announced: I'm not jumping to conclusions, Konami hasn't "betrayed" me, I'm not judging it until I play it and wah wah wee wah.
Sami

Liberating Swords

199204 Potch
27 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Where are all the in-depth impressions? I need some spoilerriffic material!

According to the latest Famitsu sales list, Tierkreis has sold 90,000 copies in the two weeks it has been out, which is pretty good. 100,000 will break easily and beyond that, it depends on how many weeks it will keep selling.
Gremio

147007 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My knowledge of japanese stops at katakana and hiragana... I'm already stuck. We need a concise faq for foreigners...
Son of Liberty

17460 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Initial reaction in Japan Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just finished the game. My final verdict is: It definitely lives up to its name Suikoden.

There are no obvious flaw in this game, unless you're nitpicking. I can sense there would be criticism against the game like its difficulty(the final boss is damn easy, for starters), or not enough character slots, or does not "feels" a Suikoden game. But those are subjective opinions so I wouldn't go into that.

Suikoden Tierkreis is definitely an enjoyable experience if you don't try to compare it to Suikoden II. The story played more like original Suikoden than Suikoden II. The main character talks, which may not bode well with many. But I can assure you, unless the localization is really that bad, it's a good main character, moreover, [spoiler:c53qdmny]his ending endears more to Suikoden III's tenkai than the rest of the games(V is debatable at best).[/spoiler:c53qdmny]

Another thing to note story wise is, [spoiler:c53qdmny]the strategist of this game is not a Mr. know it all demigod like Lucretia or Mathiu, in fact his intelligence is lower than Caesar's. But the upside is, unlike the previous games, everything was discussed and planned together, rather than the strategist telling you to do this or that like you're the strategist's errand boy. Having the Tenkai talks certainly helped.[/spoiler:c53qdmny]
I'll have a say regarding the ending. Some say the ending was a little bit dissapointing. But from my perspective, I can't think of anything better to end it, as the ending pretty much adhered to its theme.

If there's one thing to criticize the story, it's that the game did not flash enough light on the the Million worlds as well as the origins of the final boss. But it can be a good source for debate.

As for the gameplay, the quest system is pretty good, and some of the quest are hilarious and may somehow shed some light on the characters, other than making moneys, although I have to say some quest are destined for failure. The downsides of the game is no "release" button and unable to save at the world map. Aside from that, the gameplay is all right, if conventional.

As a conclusion, Suikoden Tierkreis is a very good game and it's definitely a Suikoden game.

Last edited by Son of Liberty on Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Darkbeat

Location: The school of making funny locations for my forum profile
102756 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Initial reaction in Japan Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Awesome, thanks Son of Liberty.

The hype has been seriously muted about Tierkreis even here on Suikox, which is a damn shame in my opinion. Skeptics on here need to wise up and get behind the game, the better this sells the more likely we'll see the continuation of the series as a whole.

Plus by all reports it sounds like an uber game, potential candidate for best RPG on the DS I'd say (along with obviously, anything Ace Attorney)
Sami

Liberating Swords

199204 Potch
27 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks SoL. Any "surprise" characters among the 108?
Son of Liberty

17460 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Initial reaction in Japan Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you are talking about returning characters, then no, sadly. However, [spoiler:iag60qgs]the game did make a very vague reference about the original Suikoden world during a conversation.[/spoiler:iag60qgs]

Last edited by Son of Liberty on Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Xelinis

2985 Potch
0 Soldiers
21837 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Initial reaction in Japan Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Son of Liberty":1eaf2jgj]However, the game did make a very vague reference about the original Suikoden world during a conversation.

Well?

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Please put that in a spoiler tag. I'd rather experience it during game play.

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sorry if I haven't been following this game's updates very closely as I am still very skeptical about it. It's good to hear that the story and gameplay is good, but some of the other great things I come to expect from the Suikoden series still seems to be missing: strong relations to previous games/history, interesting new/or returning characters, impressive artworks...

I saw someone say that there are plenty of voice acting? I am always impressed by that in a handheld game, as I hold games like Rivera & Yggdra Union PSP remakes in very high regards due to their efforts for extensive voice acting. The only original DS game's voice acting that impressed me in both quality & quantity is Luminous Arc, which had key moments voice acted that I'd say accounted for about 1/5 to a quarter of the total dialog, so I guess I'll be expecting the same amount of effort for this game, since I'd assume that's why we are paying the higher $39.99 price, when other great Konami DS games that could have sold at a higher price point like Castlevania or Lunar Knights were never that expensive.

Some questions about the game for those who are playing it: (sorry if it's been asked before)
How long is it?
Roughly how many characters plays direct/important roles in the story?
Any major gameplay changes for better or worst? or is everything so different that question doesn't even apply?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Tierkreis Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: