Suikoden Unique and Informational Keystone Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Olympic Games 2008 Tennis Prediction Game
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not sure if you two have seen the news yet so will black it out. Highlight if you wish to read it. :)

Does Blake beating Federer count as a major upset?

imaginary soldiers

935122 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think so. I was pretty surprised by the results of that game.
ViktorFan

Shalimar

1825501 Potch
200 Soldiers
4195 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wasn't too surprised about it, to be honest. I didn't expect that Federer will play the final, it's obvious that he has some problems this year. Blake never won a match vs Roger, he even won only one single set in 8 games (if I'm not wrong). Federer lost his status to be "unbeatable", that seems to be a problem for him and the opponents see their chance. I don't think that he can dominate Men's tennis again like he did the years before. Maybe he will be No. 1 again (sooner or later) but I doubt that he will be that for years again.

Btw: I found out that nearly every time when I predict that Federer's opponent wins: Roger wins. Nearly every time I predict that Federer wins: the opponent wins. When the US Open start I think I will predict that Federer wins in Round 1 .... ;-)
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As much as I love Roger, I'm not too surprised. In the 2004 Olympics, in which he was an even stronger favorite, he was beaten by a much lower ranked player-- such things happen in the Olympics-- and in this year for Roger it's not going to be unheard of.

Of course, this is a major victory for James Blake-- who as Gaby said, has never beaten Roger, so good on him.

I also doubt that anyone can dominate the way Roger Federer did again-- not while we have got players like Roger, Rafa and Djoko at the top, with new rising stars like Murray, too.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ViktorFan

Shalimar

1825501 Potch
200 Soldiers
4195 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Semi Finals

James Blake - Fernando Gonzalez
Novak Djokovic - Rafael Nadal

Well, I think the final will be Blake - Djoko, but I can't predict that Rafa will loose.

Vera Zvonareva - Elena Dementieva
Li Na - Dinara Safina

I will edit the post (and add the current points) when Jankovic - Safina is decided.

EDIT: The men's semifinals are already over :shock:, the final is:

Fernando Gonzalez - Rafael Nadal

After Quarter Finals

Gilly:
Men: 3
Women: 2
Total: 5 x 6 points = 30 points
Total = 277 points

VF:
Men: 3
Women: 3
Total: 6 x 6 points = 36 points
Total = 284 points

I don't count my (correct :-() predictions for the Men's Semi final because Gilly didn't post his ones.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh my. :O I'm sorry, I haven't been home much in the past week!

Just for kicks, I'll bet the opposite of what you bet. Who knows what can happen!
Fernando Gonzalez - Rafael Nadal

Women's Semis:
Vera Zvonareva - Elena Dementieva
Li Na - Dinara Safina

edit: I just read that Roger Federer and his Swiss partner Wawrinka upset the #1 doubles team in the would (Bob and Mike Bryan of the US) in the doubles tournament. It means that Roger Federer will at the very least get a Silver medal in this Olympics-- and possibly a Gold. :O

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just figured it out. I know why Roger Federer has failed in the past year or so to dominate like he used to. Sure some of it can be attested to the fantastic play of Rafa Nadal, because that Wimbledon match was quite frankly the best game of tennis I have ever seen. But I feel his problems are much simpler than this.

Gillette. Ever since he shaved using that Mach 3, He's gone down hill. Too aerodynamic! His clean shave is preventing him from playing his peak! Nothing else can explain it. Nothing.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Haha, I like that analysis.

Personally-- I just think people have figured out how to play him. It took players over four years to figure him out, but they've done it. If you look at careers like Pete Sampras, he did very poorly for the last 405 years of his career, except for his performances in Grand Slams, where he still made finals frequently, and even won more than a few (as I'm sure we all know). I think Roger is kind of in that same rutt as Sampras: failing to do well in lesser tournaments, but still able to pull things together enough to make it to the finals and semifinals of the most important ones.

Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll join at this point (yes, in the Finals :P )

Rafael Nadal - Fernando Gonzalez

Nadal should win this. He's already the best player in the world right now, and while the Olympics isn't a major, it's still the Olympics. Major champions can brag aobut their Wimbledon trophies, or French Open ones, but a good majority of them can't brag of a gold medal.

Nah, Nadal's just had a really good year. Not even the Olympics can stop him.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
ViktorFan

Shalimar

1825501 Potch
200 Soldiers
4195 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It looks like our TV doesn't show the Men's final :cry:, they didn't show one single minute of the quarter or semi finals yet, only a short summary of Schuettler's and Kiefer's matches - it's a shame.

Women's final is:

Elena Dementieva - Dinara Safina

After Semi Finals

Gilly:
Men: -
Total: 2 x 8 = 16 points
Total = 293 points

VF:
Men: 2
Total: 2 x 8 = 16 points
Total = 300 points
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Roger is about to win his own Gold medal. ;) I'm watching it on my TV-- which is why it's weird yours doesn't even show the singles final-- because I'm watching the doubles final right now. :O

I already picked my risky pick on the men's side-- so I'll go with my initial thought and say:

Women's Final

Elena Dementieva - Dinara Safina

edit:
Roger and Wawrinka win the doubles gold for Switzerland~ =D

It was weird, though-- he didn't seem like normal Roger. He was playing with a lot more, well, emotion. Most of the top tennis players for the past ten years or so have kind of left emotion for the sidelines (not counting players like Hewitt, and Murray), so it was weird seeing one of the most reserved top players kind of come out of his shell a bit.

I wonder if in 2009 Roger will decide to play more doubles in order to make up for his drooping ranking? I could see it taking him to win even more Grand Slams, to be honest. They both played very well together.

ViktorFan

Shalimar

1825501 Potch
200 Soldiers
4195 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

(They only showed a 5-minutes-summary of the Men's final :cry: .)

Gold Medal Women's Singles:
Elena Dementieva

Gold Medal Men's Singles:
Rafael Nadal

Final standings

Gilly:
Men: 0
Women: 0
Total = 293 points

VF:
Men: 1
Women: 0
Total: 10 points
Bonus: 25 points
Total = 335 points

Archy:
Men: 1
Total: 10 points
Bonus: 25 points
Total = 35 points :-)

So I won the game and Rafa won the Gold Medal :D.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Aw, Safina lost. I heard she had some trouble in her semi match and in a doubles match the day before the caused her to become fatigued, but eh.

I wasn't awake to watch the mens final, but I watched a replay of it online.

Chinese women won a gold in doubles, surprisingly, so good on them.

I'm beginning to wonder if Roger will continue to play more doubles into 2009 with Wawrinka. That could be something they could be very successful with.

ViktorFan

Shalimar

1825501 Potch
200 Soldiers
4195 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Chinese women won the bronze medal in the doubles, the Williams sisters won the gold medal (vs Spain).

Maybe Federer will play more double matches but I'm sure he would prefer to win some important tournaments in 2009 as a single player than in doubles ;-).
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think playing doubles would help him recover lost points, especially since neither Djokovic or Rafa plays doubles. And from Roger and Stan's surprising win over the Byan Brothers, it's obvious the two of them have the capability to win many tournaments together. edit: I forgot that singles and doubles points are counted separately-- but it would be good practice, and even more impressive if he could do both. :)

If you had watched the final doubles match I think you might have a little different opinion of how Roger views playing doubles with his partner-- he was quite passionate, and very much into the game, even moreso than I've ever seen him before. It was pretty interesting.

We all knew that Rafa could beat Gonzo in singles play-- but seeing Roger and Wawrinka take out the best doubles team in the world was pretty shocking, I think.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: