Suikoden Unique and Infamous Knowledge Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

OUTLAWS OF THE MARSH
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Song Jiang

Liangshan

1368 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: OUTLAWS OF THE MARSH Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i am currently reading a book called outlaws of the marsh it is a translation of an older book written by SHI NAINA (SP), another translation is Water Margin. the book follows Song Jiang and is 107 companions. is suikoden related to this book in anyway........

-IT IS THAT WHICH MAKES US DIFFERENT THAT BRINGS US TOGETHER.-
Username

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The games are loosely based on the book.

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
Song Jiang

Liangshan

1368 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
The games are loosely based on the book

kool thanks for answerin

Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Water Margin, Outlaws of the Marsh, All men are brothers, The marshes of Liang are all translations of the Shui Zhuan. Which if I remember right is one of the classic chinese novels. Most of the concepts for Suikoden are taken from the books, 108 stars, Outlaws and miscreants going against a corrupt government, and so forth. Some characters closely shadow their book counter parts and others are completely different.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Song Jiang

Liangshan

1368 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i didnt know it was that deep cool
well in a way i did
the connections are clear now
thanks

Synchysi

Creatures Once Godlike

11782640 Potch
18161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It really is a fantastic book. I found it an enjoyable read, probably helped by the fact that I could connect a lot of the characters in the book to characters from Suikoden I.

Shi Nai'an is supposedly the same guy that wrote the Romance of the Three Kingdoms novel as well, Luo Guanzhong. Luo and Shi Nai'an were co-authors of Shui Hu Zhuan, and "shi nai'an" backwards (an nai shi) translates to "It is I again." [source]

Liangshan

1368 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

interesting

is romance of the three kingdoms a good book

outlaws of the marsh has interested me and i want to read more books like it.

John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd rate Romance of the Three Kingdoms over the Water Margin, myself. But they're both in the top two, as far as I'm concerned, in the Four Great Classical Novels of Chinese literature.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Song Jiang

Liangshan

1368 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

we got two of them what are the other two great novels of Chinese literature

1. Romance of the Three Kingdoms

2.Water Margin

3. [Fill in]

4.[Fill in]

John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Journey to the West (which Dragon Ball is very loosely based on) and Dream of the Red Chamber (which would make for a good soap opera).
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Song Jiang

Liangshan

1368 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

thanks i am absolutly getting romance of the three kingdoms
and Journey to the west

what do you mean red chamber is like a soap opera
is it mellow dramatic or somethin
is it still a good read
have you read it

Song Jiang

Liangshan

1368 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

something just came to me if suikoden is based on Outlaws of the Marsh. then does that mean the suikoden heros are demons. because in the book the 36 stars of heaven and the 72 stars of the earth were demons once sealed away bi a great toeist [sp] monk

Jowy Atreides

486378 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, that part didn't make it into Suikoden, thankfully. We've had some demon-esque SoDs (Pesmerga, Yuber), but not much else.

I've read 3 of the 4 volumes of this version, but, while taking the state-mandated TAKS (Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills) test back in high school, someone stole my copy of the 4th volume. Of course, they were probably just looking for something to steal, because I don't see why anyone with a criminal mind would be reading Outlaws of the Marsh, but, they never returned it, so it's gone forever.

Yes, that is 100% true. I may attempt to just find the 4th volume at some point in the future, but, the books were kinda boring anyways.
Song Jiang

Liangshan

1368 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i bought that volume set of amazon.
i was just curious and thankful that riou and tir arent demons.

Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They aren't demons in the books either. They're called the 36 Heavenly Spirits and 72 Earthly Fiends, and that they were supposed to be the representation of demons. Not literal demons themselves. And you also have to remember demons is the english word for it. The Chinese do not think of it quite the same as we think of Western demons.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: