Suikoden Utopian and Informational Kibbutz Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Possible future True Runes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alkazar

The Sons of Senan

0 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Anyone who's read any of the IFFs I've participated in knows I often mention the Rune of Fate (even in the ones where the character bearing it isn't around - only one story actually had him in it, and I retired the character). Since Suikoden seems like a world where the future is predetermined (as we see in Suikoden III), and the Runes play a part in this, it could easily be presumable that there is a Rune which watches over everything and makes sure everything proceeds as it needs to. It also matches into the Tarot theory.

The bearer, as part of their curse, much like the Cyndar's Rune of Change, isn't able to settle down. The Rune itself constantly understands everything that is happening at once and is able to find trouble spots - the bearer's end of the symbiotic-style relationship is that they have to move to where the Rune sees trouble spots and help guide it through the path the Rune wants.

This, however, brings the idea that perhaps the events of the Suikodens games may in fact have been how things were supposed to turn out (as otherwise, the existence and purpose of the Rune would have not been fulfilled). However, the otherway to see this is that Fate is changeable and the Rune, knowing this, makes contingency plans (an example of this would be the Higheast Rebellion, where, although Highland should have won the war or at least stayed it's own nation according to the plans of the Rune, a secondary event still lead to one of those outcomes).

The actual curse behind the Rune is the fact that the bearer must be the one to make the necessary alterations to current events to appease the Rune. This may not seem like much, but the constant movement, the inability to attach yourself to anyone, the immortal life of solitude, the fact that you have to live with yourself knowing that you could have to cause wars that would kill countless innocents, or even having to end lives with your own hands - eventually, it would begin to gather on the individual charged with this work.

I'm sorry this seems disjointed or hard to understand. I've never really put into words the exact reasoning behind the Rune of Fate before.

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with Raikageo that a time rune would fit Suikoden well but I doubt it will be a main rune. Its a little bit cliche especially with the rise in popularity with bullet time fighting and games like Prince of Persia with time altering abilities. So fitting yes but plausible in reality probably not. I have faith in the suikoden series not to just hop on the band wagon and be innovative to some extent.

Well in further defense of my idea of a true rune to flora I guess it was brief because I was mighty tired like I am tonight a little. So at the risk of double posting I'll comment a bit on it. It's a very externally focused rune. I suppose I wouldn't feel wrong about adding a bit to the curse because its a bit shallow for an actual game. I think I'll add to the touching ground thing that the bearer has certain attributes that make him/her an outcast from society that we know of. EX: Greenish hue skin thats not warm, but cold. The rune will kill the flora around the bearer(the general vicinity of about 6 feet(2 meters give or take)) if the bearer is in a bad mood and if the bearer becomes elated the flowers around him/her grow and bloom.

Revolving Sphere-> I must admit that your idea is creative but it seems a bit unnecesary. I think all of the runes have a purpose for being around where as yours fits into a nice role for game-play it doesn't really make sense why its around. The RoP governed atonement and the RoL&D governed life and death and likewise with the elements. Even the Rune of Begining governed war, which was the begining in Suikoden world(sword fought sheild and round about the world was made, but started in due to war). I don't really see yours fitting to a specific place as we know the world now. Glad that the topic was rediscovered though. It's good one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DocFrance

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's a huge problem with coming up with new runes. The sixteen runes that have already been revealed already encompass a wide variety of forces and concepts in the world, and it's hard to think of something that hasn't!

I think a good idea for a new true rune would be a Rune of Creation. Now, I know you're all thinking, "but what about the Rune of the Beginning?" Well, the RoB was really just a rune that governed the offensive and defensive aspects of warfare. The RoC would actually govern the concept of creating something, i.e., creativity, invention, and ingenuity.

Creation has been more or less a double-edged sword in human history - atomic research improved the lives of millions with nuclear power, but also cost the lives of thousands with nuclear weaponry. This inherent duality of creation makes it a prime concept for a true rune.
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Revolving Sphere-> I must admit that your idea is creative but it seems a bit unnecesary. I think all of the runes have a purpose for being around where as yours fits into a nice role for game-play it doesn't really make sense why its around. The RoP governed atonement and the RoL&D governed life and death and likewise with the elements. Even the Rune of Begining governed war, which was the begining in Suikoden world(sword fought sheild and round about the world was made, but started in due to war). I don't really see yours fitting to a specific place as we know the world now. Glad that the topic was rediscovered though. It's good one.

That's why I did not suggest it in a specific place of the world we know now. Salvation could exist for a various number of reasons. The spirit, a metaphysical anomally, is very detrimental to the mortal make-up. As we saw in Suikoden 3, there is a spiritual component that exist with the physical body. Salvation would be there to allow a transition from the world of living to death, but also allow for deliverance of sin that weighs on one's spirit.

Sure, the Rune of Life and Death governs the life and death aspects which are both inevitabilities. But, Salvation governs that which exist outside of Life and Death. It would goivern beyond the physical properties of life which Life and Death essential are, both are finite beginnings and ends, but Salvation has no notable beginning or end. It's the eternal fight of the spirit which will live on even after life and death. It's marks the transition from the mortal realm to the supernatural realm which cannot be bounded by physical laws or restraints.

That's how I see a Salvation Rune fitting into the scheme of the Suikoden World. It allows for people to harness their believes and fortify their spiritual being. it's a transformation, ascending the physical body and harnessing the strength of one's spirit. Salvation and Deliverance is a huge scope that could be readily used for a game that seems to question aspects such as Order and Chaos and Fate and Destiny. Salvation would break the chains that bind mortals to earthly thoughts and reasoning. Salvation would also represent the sacrifices made by mortals for one another and cleansing off of all sin. It's the absolving of evil which permeates in all living things.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd have to admit, having the Rune of Salvation in a game would be really dark, since it's very Lain-like or Evangelion-like, forcing us to ponder concepts beyond Life and Death, Right and Wrong, and so forth: heck, concepts that are beyond the human grasp. Reading the 'Theory on True Runes' thread plus this one has got me thinking on how the rune I think could happen, the Melody Rune, could be used in a game setting or a fic setting. The thoughts I had before were just rough ideas, but I've had time to smooth them out. Thanks goes to Revolving Sphere for giving me these kinds of ideas and mystical quotes from the 'Theory on True Runes' thread.

Melody Rune

~I am an anthem sung by many. My silence can cause misery, my song can enlighten.

The Melody Rune is of the Pathos class, allowing silence and sound to exist together through music and conversation.

The word 'melody' means a series of musical notes that eventually form a whole. In human perspective, this 'whole' is your life, being shaped together one event at a time. Everyone has a certain melody in their heart that only the Rune and its bearer can hear, a melody as unique as your fingerprints or a snowflake's pattern. This melody can tell the bearer something about the person in question without words. For example, if your life was full of many good things, only for you to lose a family member dear to you, your inner song will change pace in accordance, and the Melody Rune can translate this. This is the Sound half of the rune.

Unfortunately, this special song of yours can't be heard by anyone else, implementing the Silence half of the rune. This silence allows people to decide if they have room for others, conquering their own ignorance. But if they don't, this gives leeway to people ignoring you in favor of themselves, much like how we disregard people in poor nations, or how we think, "ANOTHER pregnant teenager!? When will they grow up!?".

The Melody Rune is a symbol for empathy (Sound) and ignorance (Silence), for if you listen to someone's problems, you are hearing their song and are willing to help interpret it. If you ignore this song, you are encouraging silence, leading to ignorance. Both Sound and Silence exist, but it is a person's inner emotions that lead them to either become empathetic or ignorant. These conflicts all lead to one thing: communication, which is vital for existence.

The Melody Rune's curse involves two things: being highly empathetic in order to follow its will, and shutting out your voice, making you mute. Since you are susceptible to hearing many, MANY hearts at once, you will have a difficult time translating everything, and the Melody Rune's own empathy, by making you mute, saves you the trouble of explaining something so incredulous, promoting ignorance. It will also shut out useless songs that you don't need to hear while not making you deaf. But in order to communicate, you must know how to play music, for it's the only voice you have.

Are your communication skills worsened or heightened with this Rune? It's a mystery that hasn't garnered a straight answer: you can hear others' hearts, but you can't tell them what it is because you're mute. You can translate it into a song on paper, but people will think you're musically gifted, not that you heard your friend's heart.

Pretty lengthy explanation, but I think the Melody Rune can work in a game setting if the hero/ine finally has a reason to be mute and be very genteel to others. And I thought of the five-colored quints for a Melody Rune game being the Doremi Elves from Suikoden 2, all with different pitches for songs that you search for across the land akin to finding recipes. These songs could be played by you to boost your army's morale, making them better fighters against a VERY tough enemy army. The story possibilities are endless as well, even with the hero/ine becoming empathetic towards the villain, if that's possible.

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
Kit-Kit

Blue Poppy

4655 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I had an idea for the rune of sacrifice. I'll coem back and edit this post laster XD Or maybe, I can get some ideas for it :O? It's for my roleplay suikoden text-based on aim. So I'd need to fill out parts of it's curse.

I was thinking that it's curse could be sacrificing memories or things that matters most or leaving people behind kind of thing?
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

sounds kind of good. I though a sacrifice type rune would be good. or mix the two.
I can't think of any more runes. I should consintrate on my own creation. somthing 'like' a rune.

I thnk a true rune, that when attained that makes the wearing go into a limbo-sleep for 20 years sounds good. even if the'll be older, the "two friends now opponents" thing can be so much differnt.

sleeping can also be not so, litteral. it can be not paying attintion. so then hero needs to wake up. maybe we can have an antagonist who does have more of a tinge of darkness. and maybe their friend wasn't so much of a good person, just misdirected or ill taught.

what this rune does is beyond me. maybe it can give insight, to those oblivious, yet clould the vision of obvious things...or make one think from the head, not heart.

what does it govren? does it have magic? who knows.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I thnk a true rune, that when attained that makes the wearing go into a limbo-sleep for 20 years sounds good. even if the'll be older, the "two friends now opponents" thing can be so much differnt.

sleeping can also be not so, litteral. it can be not paying attintion. so then hero needs to wake up. maybe we can have an antagonist who does have more of a tinge of darkness. and maybe their friend wasn't so much of a good person, just misdirected or ill taught.

what this rune does is beyond me. maybe it can give insight, to those oblivious, yet clould the vision of obvious things...or make one think from the head, not heart.

what does it govren? does it have magic? who knows

I think it would be kind of cool to see that rune have a similar ability to Freddy from the horror movies. Dream jumping and being able to attack someone in their sleep would definently be a crazy ability. Maybe you can only recieve the rune in while you sleep would be a cool ability too, like the next bearer defeats the former bearer in the "dream world" and awakes to find that they have the rune. That sleep rune has a lot of potential to be an intriguing aspect for game play.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I realize now that if you let just anyone try to invent True Runes, you're going to get some crappy suggestions.

I hope my rune of gravity wasn't the crappy suggestion that got that locked.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i don't remember what rune *or runes* may have caused the closing, but a mod most likely read some of the 'submissions,' found them ridiculous, pointless or simply a creation pulled out of someone's nether regions-thus demanding a locking.

this one will share its successor's fate if it takes the same turn; i've seen one that is questionable already...i hope that anyone else submitting one uses sense when creating them, for future reference.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

acctualy that silly-crazy possble rune thread, I recall it. Even the Admin had some insane joke-ones, after that we all were at fault.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I hope my rune of gravity wasn't the crappy suggestion that got that locked.

No, I don't think it was that. The Runes thread I had involved lots and lots of amateurs making Runes with Beast Rune-like side-effects, like total insanity, violence, blah blah blah. The point wasn't to derive ideas from an existing Rune, but to invent something totally original and something that has nothing to do with the existing Runes. Obviously, that point was missed and the locking was required, thank God.

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
Dragonstar13

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd be nice to see a True Rune for all the skill runes. Something that awakens a special ability in the user and makes them 3x as strong. I suck at names so I have no idea what to call it.

We already have a night rune, so maybe a light or a sun one would be good as well. Not to mention a True teleportation rune. I suspect that if Viki actually does have a master, that person would have it. Or a rune that can produce clones. It'd explain Jeanne and Hikusaak's clones.

I think the Melody rune could work as something that would be able to touch people's heart and mind, thus making them confused and under their spell. It doesn't neccessarily have to do with sound alone. This rune doesn't necessarily have to surve a large purpose either. Maybe a singer like Annebelle would have it and is in charge of those singing elves or whatever. Isn't there a Sound village in Crystal Valley?

A rune worthy for a main character, well that's kind of hard. I think if there was a True Freedom rune that pretty much destroys anyone that gets in it's way would be used in the last game. I suspect it'd be a rune that would represent chaos' wish. While the other, maybe a friend or someone the hero knows, having the Justice rune. One that governs control and fairness. Well these are pretty much simple ideas since I don't really have the head to think of how the runes effect the suikoden world.

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I know its dumb, but a rune, or one that you guys made up, an attrubite that would be a nice thought but totaly impossible would be that you can't harm "innocents" with it. so like if you are in a bad mood, unlike a fire rune you can't go all "burn burn burn" on some one you don't know.

but if they, lets say Killed some kid, or commited horrble acts, then they can be affected.

but that dosen't work in these situations.

Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I think a true ressurection rune would be a great idea.

I also like the idea (I made this one up) of a true Haziness rune. It would make the bearer invisible or maybe just tranparent. I think that would be awesome. The bearer couldn't be hit by normal attacks, just by magic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: