Suikoden Utopian and Illusional Karma Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Who Killed Edgar?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:49 am    Post subject: Who Killed Edgar? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Pirate King Edgar was killed by an "unnamed pirate," who Brandeau killed in the very same skirmish. This unnamed pirate had the Rune of Punishment, which then went to Brandeau.

This supposedly happened relatively recently from the context of the year 305, when the whole Island Nations War took place. However, we still don't know who it was that killed Edgar, and passed on the rune to Brandeau.

The owner of the Rune of Punishment before Edgar was Rakgi's dad, who went missing 1 or 2 years before Suikoden 4's timeline (Konami has only officially stated "1 or 2 years ago."). Would it be possible that Rakgi's dad was this "unnamed pirate?"

Rakgi's dad left his family because he didn't want the rune to harm them. Besides that, nobody knows where Rakgi's dad may have gone after he left Na-Nal. It is entirely possible that he was killed by some other pirate, but if he had such a powerful rune, it would make sense that he would use it to defend himself.

As the game has demonstrated, the Rune of Punishment doesn't kill it's user upon it's first use all the time. It seems to depend on the degree to which it is used, such as how Glen and the Queen of Obel use it to annihilate entire fleets (resulting in their deaths). We see Brandeau use it to a lesser extent, and he did not die. Thus, it is possible that Rakgi's dad managed to survive for a while, killing pirates (which would be a "good" thing for an ex-fisherman like him to do), and receiving some notoriety.

It's just a hypothesis, but I don't find any evidence that would possibly counter it. I personally like the idea, because it adds a little more to the flat character that is Rakgi's dad.
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SARS, when the Hero gets the Rune of Punishment and starts going through the Rune's memories, I was under the assumption that the memories of the bearers were all in order of the timeline. (Rakji's dad, Cray, Cray's son, Brandeau, and finally Glen which activates the level 4 spell) The only exception being the Queen of Obel at the very end of the game, but I dismissed that as a device to connect the remainder of storyline. She didn't unlock a spell either. (not that it means much)

That's why I thought that Rakgi's dad had the Rune after the death of the Queen of Obel. After all, Rakji and Rikie eventually traced the Rune's path to Obel, so I figured that was the connection. It's probably necessary to see what Rakji's dad says in the memories.

Then my own memory gets clouded here. I'm having a tough time connecting why Graham Cray went to the Island Nations to begin with. We know the rune gets passed on to his son, but when that happens is a complete mystery to me. Is there something else that you know that could structure the timeline, for the better?

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The memories are not in order actually.

Konami's official Guide basically lays it out like this:

Queen of Obel had it 15 years before Suikoden 4's plotline.

(Unknown period of time)

Graham Gray gets the rune, chops his arms off, and it passes onto his son.
His son then dies when he uses the rune against SME aristocrats. Konami says this happened 4 years before Suikoden 4's timeline.

(Unknown period of time)

Somehow, Rakghi's dad gets the rune. He disappears from his family to protect it.
Konami says this happens about 1-2 years before Suikoden 3's plotline.

After that, Brandeau gets the rune "a while before" Suikoden 4's plotline.

Wish they'd say this in the game, eh?
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Truly. This changes a lot of the theories going around. Including mine. So Ghraham Cray's son was in charge of the Man-hunting incident mentioned in the Old Books, huh? (Was that even translated right?) Fredrica's journey was all in vain, then.

But with Snowe going Pirate on us, it isn't too much of a stretch to have anyone turn out that way. With this information out, this puts your theory in front of the others.

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nah, Graham Cray's son killed the "Human hunting" SME aristocrats.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wasn't that in self defense, even? He was only a boy at the time, as I understood it. How did he even get to where he would need to worry about this, precisely? I mean, how was the boy involved at all?
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Because the "Human hunting" SME aristocrats invaded the village where the boy and his father lived peacefully.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay, so where was Graham at the time? It seems as though he was not present at his son's death, given the conversation between the Hero and Graham at the very end of the game.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

He must have been away or something. No info.
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It stands to reason that Rakgi's dad could be the unknown pirate that killed Pirate King Edgar. It is evident that he travelled the seas and that he went on a journey after obtaining the Rune of Punishment. Maybe he hid himself on a pirate ship and became in league with them for his own safety. Edgar may have led an assault against that ship and Rakgi's dad defended himself. But, I find it possible that Rakgi's dad died on his journey and some unknown pirate picked it up. This is a feasible story, as well. I think the whole incident is meant to be vague.

Oh, on another note, has anyone actually pondered the idea that the ship in Budehuc Castle was possibly a pirate ship from the Island Nations. Possibly Hero 4 landed there on that crashed ship. Hmmm, the ideas and possibilities.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Oh, on another note, has anyone actually pondered the idea that the ship in Budehuc Castle was possibly a pirate ship from the Island Nations. Possibly Hero 4 landed there on that crashed ship. Hmmm, the ideas and possibilities.

Yeah I remember someone already asking about that and it was shot down as unreasonable quite quickly I believe. It's the wrong shape anyway isn't it.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's unlikely. It could have been a boat from any nation with a port anywhere in the Suikoworld. There's no reason to assume it's an Island Nations boat purely because the Island Nations' use boats a lot.

I like the thought that Rakghi's dad was a vigilante of sorts (and I'm assuming you meant he got the rune before Suikoden IV not III?) but I tend to side with Revolving Sphere on this one that it was likely he was killed by a pirate who then killed Edgar.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is it possible that Edgar and Rakhgi's father are one in the same? I'm a little bit rusty on the game because I haven't played recently but is it not possible that he was Edgar, since it clearly never used his name maybe they wanted him to be shrouded in mystery because he wasn't what he appeared to be. I just looked it up and Edgar means great spearman, like a spear a fisherman would use if they lived on Obel with their family of three(mama, papa, baby). O well, just a theory I'm currently working on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Edgar can't be Rakgi's dad, because Edgar never had the Rune of Punishment. Edgar was killed by whomever that owned the Rune of Punishment. If Edgar ever owned the Rune of Punishment, he would never have been able to be killed by the owner of the Rune of Punishment, because the only way you can lose the Rune of Punishment is by getting killed by the rune.
El Leon

Arias

73841 Potch
40 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Or perhaps losing your limb. :mrgreen: Anyway, I agree here. Msotly I guess we could argue back and forth that either a pirate killed Rakgi's Dad or he indeed went after Edgar himself and died in the incident. He did got the rune from a pirate (Or so I got) so perhaps he thought a little retribution was in order. It's pretty much what we can guess from the lack of info we got.

Quote:

I thought it was supposed to be a ship used to smuggle goods. Martha Piccolo at least were around so we can guess it is recent. I am assuming it wasn't a translation change.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: