Suikoden Uncouth and Informational Karma Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The internet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: The internet Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just had the following conversation on 4chan. What are your thoughts?

This is not about the protests at all. Read beyond the first two posts.

Quote:
I'd rather discuss (the Scientology protests) here, where I can get opinions from people who put some thought in to what they're doing and, while bandwagon jumpers all the same, at least understand why they did it.

Quote:
Yeah but what is there to discuss?

Wow you guys were so awesome today wearing masks, playing rickrolls on the public & shouting memes or holding posters displaying memes.

Its not a protest, its a joke. Its an excuse for Anonymous to have a little gathering under the false pretense that they care about their "cause". You people dont care, you're all just on board the bandwagon. I understand lots of you may have found out a lot about Scientology over the course of your crusade, its evident most of you have... but it still remains that the only reason your doing this is because a video of Tom Cruise was removed from youtube.

The protests will achieve absolutely nothing, you're just making yourselves look like morons.

Quote:
Guy you responded to, and I agree with everything you said.

Yet I'm fascinated by it all. Other massive internet meet-ups - anime and gaming conventions and such - have a common interest at heart, but this all really doesn't. I think the people who didn't go don't realize that the idiotic meme posters are few and far between indeed. Out of about 80 people at ours one person showed up with one. They just get in the spotlight, so they appear more prevalent than they really are.
The unifying factor isn't 4chan culture, memes that is, but rather a broader internet culture that isn't nearly so easily defined.

Quote:
Fair enough, I'm sure a lot of people acted with upmost integrity on the day and made Anonymous look somewhat credible.

Of course there is a unifying factor, and it is pretty easy to define, because its Anonymous. It has its own culture now. People out there aren't representing 4chan or Internet culture they are presenting the culture of Anonymous, which is quite broad but for the most part tied to *chans & ED.

The primary concern of the protesters is to advertise themselves as Anonymous, secondary is protest Scientology. They'd be out there protesting anything right now so long as it was Anonymous doing the protesting.

Quote:
Indeed. I guess it's in trying to define "Anonymous" that I get a bit overwhelmed. Chanology's significance for me was to make me contemplate internet culture in the first place.

I've spent the last twelve years, over half of my life, communicating over the internet for three or four hours a day. I feel more connected to it than to my culture, ethnicity, or nationality. But it's so much more encompassing than all of these things. In person I'm confined to the social personality I've developed over the years. My long time friends can accurately predict everything I say and do. I suppose the people I've known online for a long time could too, but on the major forums I've migrated to it's been the exact opposite. I've grown increasingly more anonymous, less predictable, less confined to a defined set of characteristics. In any other thread I could be the emo loser, the arrogant troll, the elitist, the jerk who laughs at other people's problems or the nice guy who tries to help them out.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

'lol internets'?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am anonymous.
ClouD.

The Nameless

17244 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A serious discussion? In my 4chan?
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2327939 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maybe my skull is really thick at the moment...but I fail to understand what they are trying to discuss....

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Futch

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ikano wrote:
Maybe my skull is really thick at the moment...but I fail to understand what they are trying to discuss....

That makes two os us. All I can say is Falcon Punch. It's something among the lines of "Internet defines me" or something.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

While I'm still struggling to try to cope with the idea of intelligent discussion on 4chan, I can definitely at least start to see that it's not all random junk anymore, I suppose.

Although, I don't really see all that much to discuss, to be honest. Internet culture thrives on the fact that people are allowed to remain, to certain degrees, totally anonymous from their real life personas-- which allows them to become whoever they want to be. This idea is very, very appealing to nearly all people, which leads to the truly immense nature of internet culture, really.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: