Suikoden United and Irenic Kraalesque Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The last thing we need is another invasion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Templeton

186895 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: The last thing we need is another invasion Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Enough is enough with a country invading another in the hopes of gaining an uperhand in a global conflict.

Hearing that Venezuala and Equador wanted to start their own war in South America made me a little uneasy seeing as the world can't go two or less years without one country taking the other.

Since September 11th there have been 4 invasions. Allies into Afghanistan, Americans into Iraq, Israil into South Lebenon, and Ethiopia into Somalia. There is also a famous Turkey into the already invaded country of Iraq.

Here's how the situations could of been resolved peacefully.

Afganistan: UN pressure for a peace treaty and Muslim blue helmet patrols.

Iraq: Lift embargo and allow the Iraqi people to sell oil freely again.

South Lebennon: Wait for the Security Council to resolve the issue peacfully.

Somalia: Peace and economic treaty with the Islamic Court Union.

Despite all these peace concepts we must face the fact that these countries have been invaded and must except foreign rule until the matter can be resolved peacefully. Because war is a dirty, costly concept and we need to never use it ever again, we can only live our lives with out regretting what has been done.

Thanks for your time.

Ryan
Alucard

Blood Crusaders

2016645 Potch
214 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would merely like to point out that there are between 30 and 40 wars going on Templeton, only the 'important' ones see daylight of mordern Western minds though, but I just wanted to make clear that your discontent isn't at it's peak as you thought the warfare ended at a lower amount.

Kind regards
Mr. Alucard

Proud Blade of the Nameless Lands, Alucard, Blade of Shadows
Jowy Atreides

486378 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The South American issue has already been resolved.

Perhaps a UN-brokered peace treaty would've worked in Afghanistan, but I think it's only natural that it will take some time for Afghanistan to become a stable country, as they've essentially been in a civil war since the late 70's. Blue helmets are really only there to "watch" the peace, rather than "keep" the peace. If certain parties don't want peace, as multiple groups in Afghanistaion don't, then there's really nothing that can be done (if blue helmets were sent in, not with the current situation). Personally, the only group I support 100% is the Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan (RAWA), a group that wants equal rights for women, and secular democracy. I think progress would come much faster if the U.S. left Iraq and put those troops in Afghanistan.

I'm assuming that we are talking about Iraq when Saddam Hussein ruled. Personally, I think Iraq is doomed no matter what you do, as the various religious sects just can't seem to get along, unless they fear retribution (as they did when Saddam ran the place). But, Saddam's Iraq was a pretty crappy place too, so it's a double-edged sword. I've always thought that, once we leave, someone worse than Hussein will take power in the ensuing power vacuum.

It goes without saying that the Arab-Israeli conflict is a very complex situation, so I wouldn't bother unilaterally condemning Israel, Hamas, Hezbollah, or any other actor in that play. Israel really can't just sit around, as they would risk looking weak, and may invite other players to attack. If they waited long enough, Hezbollah alone could probably bomb the place to oblivion. Just the other day there was a bombing at a Jewish religious school in Jerusalem. If this sort of stuff were happening to any other country, nobody would condemn them for invading whichever country was responsible (or was harboring the people who perpetrated the attack), but for some reason Israel is held to some unrealistic standard. Has Israel made mistakes? Absolutely. But so has every other group involved in this conflict, so it's not something worth noticing.

Even if the ICU signed a peace treaty with its enemies, there are still areas like Somaliland that would have to be dealt with, and it probably wouldn't be pretty. That whole region is extremely unstable, and as most people don't like their situation, all of the various rebel groups always have plenty of troops, and I doubt we'll see a peaceful East Africa in our lifetimes.

I'm opposed to most of the ongoing wars, but I don't think the war in Afghanistan is immoral, at least on the American side. I generally support Turkey in the Turkey-PKK conflict, the League of Democracy in Myanmar, and Fatah in the Fatah-Hamas conflict.

While I do support Turkey in its conflict with the Working Party, I think they could solve the issue peacefully if they would just treat the Kurds a little better. The ban on religious garments in public-owned institutions is inappropriate, as was the policy of not allowing citizens to speak, read, or write in anything other than Turkish (Kurds speak Kurdish). Thankfully, Turkey is subject to the European Court of Human Rights, so they have been forced to treat minorites better.

Even looking at wars that have been over for quite some time, I don't bother condemning every last one of them, especially the ones that affect me directly. I don't know if you live in the United States, but I think it would be difficult for any American to unilaterally oppose all war, as this country was founded on war. No matter where you live, the story is probably the same.

In all situations, I would ultimately want conflicts to be resolved peacefully, without resorting to war, so I support the creation of a federal Department of Peace, and the Institute of Peace. Failing that, however, it's only realistic to support whatever will get the job done, including war.
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mr. Templeton,

Telling all of the bad guys "Hey we're tired of playing so let's just say we won ok?" is a fabulous solution if you want to be responsible for the future deaths of hundreds of thousands of people.

Religious wars don't resolve themselves with a smile and a handshake.
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1156566 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: The last thing we need is another invasion Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Templeton wrote:
Enough is enough with a country invading another in the hopes of gaining an uperhand in a global conflict.

Hearing that Venezuala and Equador wanted to start their own war in South America made me a little uneasy seeing as the world can't go two or less years without one country taking the other.

Since September 11th there have been 4 invasions. Allies into Afghanistan, Americans into Iraq, Israil into South Lebenon, and Ethiopia into Somalia. There is also a famous Turkey into the already invaded country of Iraq.Ryan

Turkey have withdrawn, they were merely appeasing their own people in taking on the PKK who many call a terrorist organisation, it's much like Israel currently, do you expect them to sit there wile other factions and people bombard them with missiles and get off with a "now you be a good group and no more naughty shenanigans kay?" A naive assumption that the UN can solve problems through a mock show of force and naughty naughty words.

As for Ecuador, they have every right to be pissed with Columbia since they entered Ecuador with the intent to kill people and disregarded internal boundaries and Ecuador's laws. Do Ecuador want to start their own war? Not likely as they aren't the ones running around like they bloody well own both countries, this is also why Venezuela is supporting Ecuador and not Columbia, but of course who gives a toss about facts eh?

So in saying that, I find your opinion to be heavily biased, as you condemn Turkey for going after the PKK in Iraq and yet support Columbia in their intrusions into Ecuador and the subsequent response by Venezuela, when you have yet to mention Salvador and their presidents response;

Quote:
"We need to understand Colombia has the legitimate right to go after terrorists ... wherever they may be, of course without harming the sovereignty of another country,"

PKK is a terrorist organisation to many, condemn Turkey condemn Salvador or neither. Condemn one and you then put the USA & Iraq as Ecuador and Venezuela and thus label both blatant hypocrites (of which the USA already is sadly, with Bush openly supporting Columbia when prior they were "disappointed" Turkey went into Iraq).

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shad wrote:
Mr. Templeton,

Religious wars don't resolve themselves with a smile and a handshake.

then you use a differnt tactic. don't know what.
symbolicly kill a god? get atheisits to convince them to convert.

point and laugh?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

kuwaizair wrote:
then you use a differnt tactic. don't know what.
symbolicly kill a god? get atheisits to convince them to convert.

point and laugh?

What in Christ's name are you babbling about woman?
Sparhawk

Lords of Foolishness

207476 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that if the issue could have been resolved so easily we would all be living fat and happy. Like someone said above, there are multiple conflicts around the world. Just because you see some on the evening news and don't really give a damn about others doesn't mean they are not taking place. Last year, an estimated 3 million people died in Africa due to open conflict.

That figure doesn't include Darfur.

Thinking things through and trying to talk people down are pretty obvious things. To say they were never attempted is a joke.

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's about 30 armed conflicts going on around the world right now. The number was close to 50 armed conflicts back in the year 2000, so we actually have less conflicts these days compared to back then. The difference is that the media gives a pretty biased report on these conflcits. Back in 2000, the USA wasn't involved in any large-scale conflict so nobody cared what went on outside the USA. Now that we have troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, people are exposed to more news stories relating to international conflicts.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To add to what Vex just said the conflicts mentioned in the first post pretty much highly reported on due to the fact that the United States is a factor in it either actively or passively. Iraq and Aghanistan the US is actively participating in while the South Lebanon and Colombia/Ecuador incident has the US supporting the former on. There's no mention of the on-going conflict in Chechnya between Chechens and the Russians. there's the one about Darfur already mentioned. Just last year we've had both Ethiopia and Eritrea pretty much warring with each other for a couple weeks.

If the US is involved in some way they'll be blamed for it one way or the other. While I agree wars should just go away I'm realistic and pragmatic enough that if man hasn't figured out a more peaceful way to resolve disgreements since we as a species were still just nomadic, fur-wearing tribes then who is to say we'll find the golden ticket to lasting peace just around the corner.

Man is a violent species and history seems to support this quite well. I would even put out there that it's due to man's war-like tendencies which has led to countless scientific, medical and technical progress throughout man's history.

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vextor wrote:
There's about 30 armed conflicts going on around the world right now. The number was close to 50 armed conflicts back in the year 2000, so we actually have less conflicts these days compared to back then. The difference is that the media gives a pretty biased report on these conflcits. Back in 2000, the USA wasn't involved in any large-scale conflict so nobody cared what went on outside the USA. Now that we have troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, people are exposed to more news stories relating to international conflicts.

I think the media always brushed upon them to an extent, but it's like everything else, unless the US is directly involved or it's particularly heinous, they're not going to give a lot of time to it.

I don't think it's any different now with traditional media, really. If they covered every armed conflict with the same level of coverage, they could never do anything else.

Of course, the explosion of online media has helped as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: