Suikoden Urgent and Irenic Knowledge Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Lost Odyssey

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Lost Odyssey Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't count that thread Tull made as the official LO thread, sorry.

My impressions.

I'm enjoying the game a lot, especially the characters. I'm 15 hours in currently and on disc one. Overall, I'd say that so far it's a lot more enjoyable than Blue Dragon and Mistwalker fixed up a few issues that game had, like the frame rate for instance, or the shitty menu interface, or the characters who aren't appealing (Marumaro I'm looking at you).

This game is practically a love letter to those who love or used to love Final Fantasy.

Positives and negatives:

+ Random battle rate is extremely forgiving. There were some points where I didn't get into a random battle for an upward of 45-60 seconds, or at least, it felt like that. Typically it takes 15-20 seconds for a random battle to appear, and even then, most battles are fast. Thankfully the splash screen or whatever for the random encounters loads extremely fast, unlike what I saw in the videos prior to release. Funny.

+ Light on the grinding. The experience system is Suikoden-esque; once you get to a particular level cap in an area, you will tend to stop gaining much xp at all. Thus it's hard to grind. However, if a character is underleveled, this means they can catch up quickly.

+ Thousand Year Dream segments are absolutely captivating. They have neat text effects, beautiful music playing in the background, and these neat background images that change depending on where the story goes. They are well written and give Kaim a certain amount of depth he otherwise wouldn't have, even though you can't actually see the stories take place in a cutscene. You can go read them at any time, so they aren't obtrusive. Really soothing and unique pieces, I think, "misuse of the medium" or not.

+ Great graphics and art direction and general presentation. The game definitely looks a lot better up close and personal. The peak of the mountains made me drop my draw because of its beauty. UE3 in full effect in this game, and unlike Mass Effect, it doesn't have retarded texture pop in. I guess this is just more evidence that Bioware's programmers suck or something. Anyways, it feels like an actual next gen jrpg, unlike Blue Dragon. It kind of reminds me of when I first played Final Fantasy X, and saw how the game handled those transitions from in game to battle in Zanarkand. It wasn't something that was possible with the previous technology. Lost Odyssey kinda makes me feel the same way some how. The presentation is top notch.

+ Great music. It always fits the mood and while not nearly as memorable as Uematsu's FFVI-VIII work, it's still well made. Probably on FFIX's level, but I'll have to continue playing to find out! Overall, good work Uematsu. Especially on the dream sequences.

+ Kaim has the fastest run I've ever seen in an rpg.

+ The characters. Kaim, Seth, and Jansen are a wonderful trio. The game constantly has sequences that have them interact with each other, and the chemistry is just perfect. Jansen, in particular, almost every scene he is in has me LOL'ing. Kaim is like an immortal Squall, which is fucking awesome. I'm just waiting for him to say,"Whatever." so I can laugh. Seth is Rikku/Yuffie/Selphie-esque...when she wants to be. She's playful, but serious when she needs to be. Overall, thus far, the characters are my favorite part of the game. They're a huge step up from Blue Dragon's meh characters, who, while charming, were lacking "oomph".

+ The game manages to switch between being serious and light hearted at the flip of a hat. It has a dark tone, but the game has no problem pulling any punches when it comes to getting the player to laugh.

+ Really good story thus far. Coupled with the Thousand Year Dreams segments, the story seems interesting, I think. There's a ton of mysteries already, and I wonder where it goes. There's a lot of political intrigue, which makes me hard, being a Suikoden fan. The story is extremely dark and depressing. This game WILL depress you. Thankfully there's a lot of light hearted moments that make it not feel TOO depressing. The story is REALLY good.

+ Battle system is fucking awesome. The ring system makes battles constantly engaging, forcing the player to pay attention at all times. Magic charge system in effect is always badass. The guard system takes the traditional jrpg row system and warps it to a new level. The battles, especially because of the first boss battle, are really interesting. I cheered when I got the "do three perfects in a row" achievement. The ring system is really rewarding. It's not a gimmick either. The guard meter is EVERYTHING. Kaim and Seth are mainly warriors, and I have not taught them magic at all. This makes Jansen and Cooke my most important assets in the party as they are my healer and black mage respectively. If my tanks (Seth and Kaim) falter, that makes it much harder on my mages in the back row. It is a VERY intuitive and well thought out battle system. It forces you to strategize even on grunts.

+ Customization, while currently limited, is still fun. I've made Kaim my Warrior, Seth my Thief/Assassin, and Jansen's a Red Mage, Cooke is a white mage.

+ Interactivity. Playing FFVII this past Christmas break made me realize how we have actually regressed in that regard when it comes to jrpgs. Lost Odyssey ups and the ant and is a return of form if you will. There's always tons of objects and things to interact with. You can kick a ball in the playground ala Costa Del Sol, or even play a piano. I'm liking this.

+ Reasonable difficulty. It's not a Megami Tensei game but it's decent. The first boss took me three tries to defeat, which isn't bad for a first boss. It's not a complete cake walk like Blue Dragon, thankfully. What I love about this game is that even some of the NORMAL enemies can be tough if you aren't careful. I just fought these two enemies in the Crimson Forest who have over 1000 hp, and they use powerful attacks like power crush or whatever, and it can one hit kill Cooke, and decrease your GC in no time flat. Amazingly enough, buffs actually MATTER in this game.

+ No stupid third person view bullshit. The camera angles present in Lost Odyssey are really dynamic and give the world a lot of life.

- As of now I seriously have no complaints, major or minor, which is rare. I'll probably think of something to nitpick later. I guess I could say the load times suck, but they are only annoying prior to cutscenes, when they are longer than average. I've seen far worse. Another case of people over blowing a games problems.

So far, the game has exceeded my expectations. I just really expected a well made jrpg, but this is actually pretty damn good. If you're a fan of FFVII-IX I don't understand how it's possible to miss this game, as you owe it to yourself to give it a shot. Even more so for those of you who weren't big on FFXII, like yours truly.

Lost Odyssey is a huge step up from Blue Dragon. Check it out and prove to the press once again, that they're full of shit. Traditional rpgs will never die.

So far this is like the ps2 Final Fantasy I wanted but never got. Extremely enjoyable game.

Fuck I love this game.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Lost Odyssey Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Himuro wrote:
I don't count that thread Tull made as the official LO thread, sorry.

Sorry, but regardless, someone beat you to it and it was closed. An "official" thread would require Vextor's blessing, anyway. You can just label shit "official" all willy-nilly!

-closed-
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: