Suikoden Ugly and Irenic Kriegspiel Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Anon 1, Scientology 0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You're not alone in becoming fixated on Scientology. A lot of my friends are damn scared of it.

If the March 15th protest doesn't conflict with my work schedule, I plan on participating somehow.

Also, did anyone hear about the photographer in Clearwater that recently comitted "suicide?" He was one of the biggest critics of the church and spent a lot of time photographing CoS members coming and going from the Clearwater center.

I can't remember how he died off my head but I believe it was a gunshot. The police chief that investigated his "suicide" was a Scientologist and the local newspaper that reported it is owned by Scientology (Clearwater is their holy city). Furthermore, the CoS had previously showered his neighborhood with flyers warning people that he was a child molester.

Sadly...the whole thing with the flyers is an old tactic of theirs. They did the same thing to Paulette Cooper.

^Actual quote!
Jowy Atreides

486378 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think Scientology would be scary if they actually had any weight to throw around, but it looks like they've got more people devoted to hating them than actual members.

New religious movements are certainly interesting (and perhaps strange), but there's no reason to get paranoid.
Demon Eyes Kyo

Crimson Crusaders

260069 Potch
250 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you guys are interested..there is another protest happening on a certain date sometime in a couple of months. Look it up!

Return that soul to God.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Jowy Atreides wrote:
I think Scientology would be scary if they actually had any weight to throw around, but it looks like they've got more people devoted to hating them than actual members.

New religious movements are certainly interesting (and perhaps strange), but there's no reason to get paranoid.

This is where you are completely and utterly wrong. And is an ignorance that borderlines dangerous.

Scientology is a multi million (billion?) organization now a days, with hundreds of thousands members. It's not new at all. It's been around for the last forty years. It's just, only recently have people begun to reveal the dangers of this cult. And now a days, it has extremely influential top ranking members like John Travolta and Tom Cruise who whether we want to believe it or not, hold sway over many peoples opinions. Not to mention corrupting police officials, or infiltrating the IRS and attempting to steal classified documents about people who speak out against them.

Here's some more links for people interested as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO_kcUCQSl8 - Voiceless is a group of ex-scientologists who left the organization, and had been doing anonymous speak outs against the 'Church'

http://glosslip.com/2008/02/26/is-the-church-of-scientology-holding-chi ldren-hostage/ - I put this one in my email to people. It's about how the Church of Scientology uses children of members of the church, and other children for basically slave child labor. Also it should be noted. The man who filmed the youtube video in that link was recently found dead earlier this month.

http://www.sptimes.com/2008/02/19/Northpinellas/Scourge_of_Scientolog.s html - this is an article about the man who filmed the video in the link above. And about his mysterious 'suicide'

EDIT: I just Ackbar's post. The Clearwater guy is the same guy mentioned above. He 'commited suicide' apparently by running a garden hose from the tailpipe of his car in his garage all the way outside and up into the window of a room.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Admiral Ackbar

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, that's the guy. Thanks Milan.

And you're right about their influence. Also remember that the second richest man in Australia is also a Scientologist and has been putting money/backing into it.

^Actual quote!
Jowy Atreides

486378 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nah, I'm not ignorant of Scientology. In fact, I've read quite a few books on the subject, along with other new religious movements.

I don't doubt that the Church has lots of money, but I don't think that necessarily equals influence. Perhaps they are able to develop facilities at a quicker pace than other new religious movements, but it doesn't amount to much.

Reliable info on the number of Scientologists is practically impossible to obtian, so I doubt your claim that there are "hundreds of thousands" of members. It sounds more like anti-Scientology propaganda to me.

The term "new religious movement" has more to do with size and age, rather than just age. The Church of Scientology is listed as a new religious movement by multiple sources, so I don't think my characterization of Scientology as a NRM is incorrect.

I understand that there are plenty of celebrity members, and that probably results in a lot of airheads converting to emulate their favorite stars, but it seems that if celebrities were really that powerful everybody would be a Scientologist.

As for the Church's illegal activities, this doesn't necessarily reflect where Scientology is today, as Operation Snow White took place quite some time ago.

It should be noted that I am not a Scientologist, nor am I not pro-Scientology, but I'm just seeking to provide some balance to the argument.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Jowy Atreides wrote:
Do you (Vextor) think they should be stripped of their tax-exempt status and regulated like any other business, or what?

Of course, but that has nothing to do with whether scientology is a religion. I believe that religious institutions should be taxed just like everyone else if they generate profit (and are therefore don't qualify as non-proft). To me, Scientology makes way too much money for them to claim non-profit status.
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1156566 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Admiral Ackbar wrote:

And you're right about their influence. Also remember that the second richest man in Australia is also a Scientologist and has been putting money/backing into it.

They also aren't as "arrogant" down here appealing to families as a whole rather than individuals for money on a grassroots level, so for the most part I believe their main "cause" is still in the USA since it carries much more importance on a global scale than Australia does.

They're also based in Sydney, and any Melbournian can tell you that Sydney is home to 2 things;

Bad public transport
Mardigras

I think it's quite prudent that Scientology set up shop in the self proclaimed gay capital of Australia. Scientology was also banned in Victoria from 1965 to 1982 & Western Australia in 1968 to 1972, in 1996 there were only 1488 self admitted Scientologists in Australia (through the Census) and in 1998 there was a legal crackdown on cults of which Scientology was mentioned.

The rich here have every little social standings outside of their yacht clubs.

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

eXistence of Fly wrote:

I think it's quite prudent that Scientology set up shop in the self proclaimed gay capital of Australia. Scientology was also banned in Victoria from 1965 to 1982 & Western Australia in 1968 to 1972, in 1996 there were only 1488 self admitted Scientologists in Australia (through the Census) and in 1998 there was a legal crackdown on cults of which Scientology was mentioned.

The rich here have every little social standings outside of their yacht clubs.

Really? Banned in Victoria since 1965? But i went there two years ago. Are you sure that you got that right, Fly?

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Banned from 1965, but the ban was lifted in 1982.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's still banned in Germany. Well, they refuse to recognize it as a religion, anyway.
ViktorFan

Shalimar

1825501 Potch
200 Soldiers
4195 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Scientology isn't banned in Germany. Since 1997 Scientology is watched by the "Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution" because the German government says that the organisation is a threat to the liberal democracy. Shad is right: Germany refuses to recognize them as a religion, we call them "Scientology Organisation" here, not "Scientology Church".
Admiral Ackbar

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

America doesn't recognize them as a religion either. They are a "spiritual charity" Which I'm sure they're fine with. It gives them the tax exempt status they love so dearly.

^Actual quote!
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Admiral Ackbar wrote:
America doesn't recognize them as a religion either. They are a "spiritual charity" Which I'm sure they're fine with. It gives them the tax exempt status they love so dearly.

Obviously doesn't stop them from advertising themselves as a religion, whether they are officially recognized as one or not.

As Ackbar here says, its clear they only care about getting that oh so sweet Tax Exempt status.

Lords of Foolishness

207476 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey guys, stop talking trash about the rich! They need wacked out religious cults so they can have one more way to be able to seperate themselves from the rest of society!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: