Suikoden United and Infamous Keystone Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Runes and Dismemberment
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alkazar

The Sons of Senan

0 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://www.suikox.com/s4/pix/leknaat.jpg --- I chose this because it was on the SARS server. I only used this as a quick example.

Something is visible on her forehead, and I've always been told, until now, that this is her half of the Gate Rune as it manifests on the body. Perhaps I've been told wrong, but if so, people have been telling me the wrong thing for going on four years now.

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Alkazar wrote:
Perhaps I've been told wrong, but if so, people have been telling me the wrong thing for going on four years now.

Yes they have.

Leknaat's half of the Gate Rune is embedded on her chest. Therefore, the jewel-like protrusion on Leknaat's forehead is not the Gate Rune.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Alkazar

The Sons of Senan

0 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks for setting me straight after four years of misinformation. If I may ask, however - where does it originally state that Leknaat's half was embedded in her chest? I'm curious at this point as to why I've never seen the source before.

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The point of origin is one of the various Japanese-only Suikoden publications that Konami likes to print out and not tell anyone outside the land of the rising sun about. Because giving people outside of Japan information on something they like is a Bad Thing.

Also, SARSadmin has had to quote it many times both here at Suikox and at Suikosource in discussions such as these, if you're looking for a more authoritive source than me, some guy on a forum no-one knows.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As for why Luc could not just dismember his arm or hand to rid himself of the True Wind Rune, the True Wind Rune was not so much as located on his palm, it was embedded in his very soul and intertwined there. Like mentioned before, there is no set rule saying where a True Rune has to lodge themselves on a bearer's body. It could be found anywhere.

As for the Rune of Punishment, each True Rune has their own special characteristics giving them an individuality. The Rune of Punishment prefers to be temporarily attached to a bearer and feeds on their souls and memories. The Beast Rune prefered to be lodged in an inanimate object just like the Night Rune. So, there is no way to know why a True Rune does what it chooses to do.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ok, Cray chopped his left arm off to get rid of the Rune of Punishment, if it can attach itself anywhere on a hosts body, why did the Rune of Punishment not reattach itself to Cray?? Like attach itself to Crays right arm or whatever?? Or was the next host there with Cray when he chopped his arm off??
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Alkazar wrote:
By removing the limb, you've set the Rune free. That means it is free to choose a new host. With Luc's situation, he didnt' want to risk the Rune going beyond his reach.

In Luc's case, the True Wind Rune was directly connected to his soul, and thus it was unremovable without Luc's death. That's the primary reason why he is a "failed creation" as a vessel of a True Rune.
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As for why the Rune of Punishment would not reattach itself to Cray. Cray went throught the trouble of cutting off his arm to rid himself of that True Rune. The Rune of Punishment probably saw him as a failure. If you were a god-like entity would you think that you would return to a useless host that could not even handle your power.

Cray was no longer useful to the Rune of Punishment after he severed ties with it. Or it could have just been that the Rune of Punishment has a thing against returning to the same host or a thing against rejection. Cray might have hurt the Rune of Punishment's feelings....okay..probably not. It was probably the fact that Cray severed ties with the Rune of Punishment and it did not deem him worthy enough to stay attached to him. It's as simple as the Rune of Punishment having desires, Cray standing in his way of achieving those desires, and the Rune of Punishment moving on since it could not consume him.

Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One presumes Cray the Younger was nearby when Graham freed himself from the Rune. We do know the Runes are somewhat cognitive of their surroundings; perhaps the Rune understood what Graham did, and decided to... punish him, perhaps? What better way to do so than to afix itself to Graham's own son?
Alkazar

The Sons of Senan

0 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SARSadmin wrote:
Alkazar wrote:
By removing the limb, you've set the Rune free. That means it is free to choose a new host. With Luc's situation, he didnt' want to risk the Rune going beyond his reach.

In Luc's case, the True Wind Rune was directly connected to his soul, and thus it was unremovable without Luc's death. That's the primary reason why he is a "failed creation" as a vessel of a True Rune.

My original reference was to the question of why he didn't simply remove the limbs of those who bore the True Rune instead of forcibly ripping it from them like he did. That is where my hypothesis of setting the Rune free it and getting beyond his reach (being semi-intelligent, at the least, I'm sure the Elemental Runes were quite aware of his intentions), came from.

The same idea that only Sasarai's death would allow the True Earth to be removed would hold true, no? But yet, Luc still managed to remove the Rune from him. So, to say it (the True Wind Rune) is unremovable might be going a little far, unless there's something I'm missing about a key difference between how Sasarai and Luc were created.

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, the True Wind Rune is unremovable from Luc except for in the event of his death. The True Wind Rune was intertwined in his very soul. I don't think cutting or dismembering himself would have gotten the job done. And why cut their arms off to remove their True Runes when you can just rip them from their bodies with the Sindarin technique? It's less bloody and yet equally painful. Besides, Luc only intended to keep those Elemental True Runes just long enough to destroy himself and the True Wind Rune. I don't think he saw it necessary to dismember anyone if he could get the job done neatly in another manner.

Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sasarai was not flawed in the same way that Luc was. But I do agree with you on one thing though: the Sindarin technique was preferable, because in general - not counting the Rune of Punishment - a Rune could simply chose to remain on the Bearer's body in some other location, if the limb on which it was implanted was removed.
Flame Champion

The Fire Bringer

109 Potch
21 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Rune of Punishment is like an above poster said EXTREMELY fickle. The bearer means less than dirt to it. The Rune of Punishment is a parasitic True Rune of sorts I suppose, using the bearer for its own purposes.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

to me the Runes seem to be somthing half physical and half metaphysical., the TRs seem to be more like this.

Luc's molded with his soul, so he is, to some extent "the TWR", its not in a foot or nose, hand or navle.

Its a shame we won't know if there is a differance between game-play rune attachment and "real/story" rune attachment. I'm tinking, maybe they are a preferance, like being right handed or not, or, if one "feels" rather than "thinks" (being a thinking person would make it go on your head, or unless its the oppsite, it goes elsewhere?)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Alkazar wrote:
Yes, it could obviously be. However, even in NPCs, we have never seen a Rune, to my understanding, placed anywhere besides one of the hands or else the head (correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't think of one where this has been shown to be false).

This is a few months old, but I just wanted to point out that Crowley had 100 Runes all over his body in an attempt to duplicate the power of a True Rune.

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: