Suikoden Uncouth and Infamous Kosher Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Prequels and the Apocalypse
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nailo

Truth

0 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Prequels and the Apocalypse Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Does anyone else think that the reason S4 was a prequel is because the writers are worried that they will eventually run out of time for the world to exist? Luc never gave a date for the Silent World he saw in S3, so there can only be a set number of games before they get to that point. I know that with prequels there is only a set amoutnt of time you can use before you get to the time covered in another game, but do you think the time between S4 and S1 is longer than the time between S3 and Luc's end of the world?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Luc never gave a date for the Silent World he saw in S3, so there can only be a set number of games before they get to that point.

This is the big flaw in your theory. As Luc never stated a date this means that it could happen between 1 and 1 million years after Suikoden III. If they don't wish to deal with it, they never have to as long as a date isn't given for the Silent World Prediction.

And besides, with one of the base concepts of Suikoden being that fate is indeed changable, they wouldn't have to touch it even if it was given a set date.

The real reason is due to the change in creative control and the fact that the new people in charge want to create their own world rather than having to deal with loose ends from the old regime, so to speak.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I doubt that Luc's world will come anytime soon. I think it is way far off in the future. It was kinda creepy to think of a silent world such as that. If they ever made a game in that time period, only the true rune bearers would be alive. I guess it would be the 27 stars instead of 108.

EDIT: Aww, he beat me too it. Yeah, John Layfield is right. Who knows if that future will really ever come to pass?

Last edited by Tonberry on Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alkazar

The Sons of Senan

0 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I see either the year 500 or 1000 as being the point where Luc's view of the future comes true because of the acts of both the runes and mankind. However, as has been proven throughout Suikoden many times, fate is changeable. Mankind may yet have a chance to save themselves from that end, but at what cost?

I believe the time between Suikoden 4 and Suikoden may indeed be much greater than the space between Suikoden 3 and Luc's proposed "Silent World." However, perhaps the point of showing prequels may be to, not perhaps fill gaps in the current story, but perhaps to fill gaps that needed to be filled in order for a future story to occur?

For example, perhaps the Island Nations will play some large part in the future (post-S3), but in order for us to understand the impact of that future, it was necessary for us to see their formation as a unified region in the first place?

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I personally can't answer that, although Leknaat makes mention in S4 that there was no need to worry about the end of the world that the Fog Ship Guide mentions. Considering how vast time itself is, I doubt the apocalypse will come anytime soon for the Suikoden world. And even if the apocalypse does come, I'd bet that the 27th hero/heroine would have the most involvement against it b/c they'd be the final True Rune bearer revealed.

This is just speculation on my part, but personally I'm not concerned about the timeline of Luc's vision. It was but only a possible world that he saw, one out of millions of possibilities... this one happened to be of pure Dharma, which I admit was very creepy.

It would be surprising to have a post-S3 sequel set decades or a century later, where this hero/ine meets one or several of the rune bearers from the past, like McDohl, Hugo, Chris, etc, and they may have different personalities, depending upon what happens to them during their time alive. But that's more of a Suikoden wish, not a theory. *scratches her head*

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally I do think the "End of All Things(tm)" is coming in the Suikoden world, and coming soon after GS3, but I don't think it has anything to do with the Silent World, necessarily. But it's been my long held belief that the End comes during the lifetimes of Riou and Jowy, and thus there -is- a clock counting down to said ending.
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I see them putting Suikoden 4 this far back in the storyline just so they could make a fresh start with new developers. Murayama isn't with Konami anymore, so this could be their way to create their own "Suikoden" so to speak.

After all, changing the past means that it's easier to change the future.

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I question the reliability of that vision Luc has from the True Wind Rune. It is very likely that the True Wind Rune could have allowed Luc to see a future it wanted him to see in order to move him like a chess piece in a certain predestined course. Luc deciding to destroy the True Wind Rune could have been a part of a grand scheme devised by the True Wind Rune itself.

Sure, you all will wonder why the True Wind Rune would move it's bearer in a path to destroy itself. Well, I suggest that the True Wind Rune knew that Luc could not accomplish the goal and due to his unwillingness to be the bearer of the True Wind Rune, it needed to rid itself of being permanently bound to Luc. But, that's just a wild theory.

As for why the creators decided to make the game 150 years before Suikoden 1. Well, I believe it gives them more leeway to expand the story in a direction the new creators have devised.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Perhaps it wasn't necesarily a future world, like Luc thought(hes human he can be wrong). This is just a theory now, but maybe its was another world, governed by Dharma. Like the World of Scales, where Viki's from or where the Fog Ship was. Maybe it was the True Wind Rune that transported them there for a moment to glance another world. O well, just thoughts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Alterus

Jade Army

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is Viki from another world? Never knew that...
The Ship is from the Valley of Eternity, as far back as I remember from yesterday... I think there was just a hole in the seal between worlds...
Also, where's that 'silent world' revealed? In post-108-stars Luc gameplay or what? Are there screenshots or he only speaks of it? It is very interesting for me to know the Suikoden III... If you could explain me the things 'bout Silent World (except it's the 'apocalypse' of SuikoWorld) w/o major spoilers, I'd be most grateful...
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's not a "Silent World" persay. It is a world completely ruled by Order, thus everything is stagnant and unchanging. The world was displayed as desolate and ummm...stagnant, for lack of a better world. This vision was shown in a cutscene during Suikoden 3. I can't remember if it was through Luc's persective or not, but it was shown in the later parts of the game.

And yes, it is believed that Viki is from another land by the name of 'Waffu'. In Suikogaiden, the gamer is introduced to a young Viki in her homeworld of completely distorted dimensions. So, one can surmise that Viki is from a different realm/world.

As for the True Wind Rune transporting Luc to another world for a brief moment, it's feasible as the True Runes are more than capable. But, it seems that True Runes can show each bearer visions of the past and future. Geddoe mentions that his True Lightning Rune showed him visions, as well. So, I don't if it's necessary to transport the individual to another world or not. I just believe that True Runes have the ability to distort reality and feed their bearers visions of what they want them to see.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

the cutscene sphere refers to is the one luc shows to the flame champion during the attack on brass castle. he uses this as part of his reasoning for destroying the twr, 1,000,000 people and himself.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Earthquake923

SB90's Mechanized Monsters

179201 Potch
0 Soldiers
778121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think Luc would have fought so hard unless he thought the end was close. He would have left a message/instructions for future generations if it wasn't in his time. But it's strange, I think Luc tried even though he knew he would fail also. Lek told him, and he did see the future so he knew he would die, unless it's what he wanted. To maybe come back later and influence other people.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

He actually didn't care about saving the world. He simply wanted to get back at Hikusaak for creating him only as a vessel for the True Wind Rune.
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
He actually didn't care about saving the world.

Sorry SARS but I have to point out the fact that Luc said "That's not the fate that any of you deserve" or something along those lines, meaning that he DID indeed care about the people, or at least, that's how I took it.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: