Suikoden Utopian and Infamous Karma Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Vampire Myth in Suikoden

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nailo

Truth

0 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Vampire Myth in Suikoden Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was wondering if anyone knew the basis for the mythology behind vampires in the suikoverse. We all know that the Blue Moon Rune turned Sierra into the first vampire, and she turned the others, but if she can walk in day light due to the rune, why can the Neclord? What are the weakness of vampire, do they follow the western lore, or is it more based on eastern lore. Does anyone know if sarcasim is also a standard trait for immortality because the Dragon Sword is also a wise butt(unsure of language rules)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think you're allowed to say ass, here, yes ;) If not, the language filter would catch you, so don't worry.

On topic, well, remember that until the Neclord was defeated, he -held- the Blue Moon Rune. So it may well be that that makes a difference.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but did he not call himself something like a "well-bred" Vampire, created by the Rune? It almost sounded to me like there are many "original" Vampires, all created directly by the Rune - even if only one of them bore the Rune at the time - who could then turn other Vampires of their own, who would thus be more susceptible to the "common" Vampire banes. Clearly they must be common enough for lore to have filtered down about their weaknesses, while not so common that they are everywhere you turn around, or even have the common population be absolutely certain they exist :)
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here's what we know.

The Blue Moon Rune can transform people into vampires.

The standard western idea of biting/sucking blood also transforms people into vampires.

However, vampires in the Suikoden world do not suffer from exposure to sunlight.

But they can be killed by impaling them with holy artifacts. Nothing suggests that they can be killed with a simple stake.

They can also transform into bats or at least bat-like creatures. Sierra's form didn't look too bat-like to me, but that's just me.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John, you and I really need to figure out how not to post at the same time. This is the third or so time today alone that you've posted right on top of me. Twice I found your posts right before mine, when they weren't there when I typed the post, and now your's is so on top of mine that by the time the screen loaded with my post, your's was there after mine >.< I'm begining to think one of us is stalking the other.

Last edited by Beecham on Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You probably suffer from the same ailment as myself. Namely, refreshing repeatedly to find new posts and then jumping at a new topic straight away.

At least we said different things this time. :P
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

*sheeps* Yeah, uhm, kinda? :) Hey, I'm bored, and the forum's just kinda sitting there, asking to be refreshed ^_^;;;

Anyway, I'm not sure about one thing you said. That whole sunlight thing. If -no- Vampire suffered from a severe sunburn problem [;)], why would Tengaar have found it so odd that a Vampire was out during the day? Legend of Vampires' being unable to be out during the day would never have sprung up in a world where Vampires exist but do not fall prey to that particular bane.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Every vampire we've seen so far can sustain sunlight as far as we know. That's a 100% percent record. ONE HUNDRED PERCENT. What's to question? :D
Alkazar

The Sons of Senan

0 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, we've only seen vampires who have been fairly noble-like vampires yet. Sierra, as the original vampire, seems to be immune to a lot of the effects normal vampires suffer due to her bond with the Blue Moon Rune. Neclord, having been the bearer of the Blue Moon Rune, also seems immune to these effects. We did not see Rean outside during daylight hours, so we can not surmise that he was immune to sunlight.

Since we've only seen two vampires exposed to sunlight, that's not enough proof to surmise that all vampires are immune to sunlight. That would be like seeing two females walking in a city and saying the entire population is female.

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

sierra mentioned that the sunlight makes her sleepy; so does neclord-that seems to be the only effect sunlight has on the original *created by the run* vampires.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Runic Vampires are immune to sunlight. Runic Vampires are vampires created directly by the power of the Blue Moon Rune. Vampires created by other means, such as sucking blood (and vampires can control whether the victims turn into vampires or not) can be destroyed with sunlight.

Also, Suikoden vampires are not immortal. They will die eventually, with the sole exception of the Coven Mistress.
CZF123

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

HOnestly....in suikoden 2 seirra spends whole of her day down under the cementery of the castle
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, if the sunlight made you sleepy, wouldn't you stay out of the sun whenever possible?

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: