Suikoden Urgent and Inspirational Kibbutz Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

UK PM Backs Automatic Organ Donation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally I think they should just make organ donation compulsory and too bad for all the people who'd rather their organs decompose than save lives. But since that's not going to happen I think this would be a good alternative. Unfortunately this might not happen either.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Even in a more profit-based health system, I don't see doctors going organ-harvesting happy - you're not going to do much business if the only way people leave your practice is in a casket. People mostly get recomendations on who to go from their medicine from two places:

1) Their insurance companies
2) Their friends

And believe me, if you're a doctor, you want to have a good live patients to dead ones ratio; it helps you gain clients (since "Dr. X saved me/my family member/my friend" is a heckuva endorsement) and probably keeps your insurance fees low too - if a doctor who just goes organ harvesting-happy is just going to get sued by the bereaved family members a few months later, and even if only one person sues them, you bet their insurance fees are going to go up...

Personally, I think the idea of a law is a good thing provided people are provided with simple, clear instructions on how to opt out. There are enough people who don't really care one way or the other on the issue, who, should they meet an unfortunate end, may be able to at least help others by giving them a new lease on life who might not have taken the effort to opt in, but wouldn't mind not opting out.

I also think that it might perhaps be a good idea to put in strict age limits on when one goes on the registry - better to let the person have their own say about it, as otherwise it opens up the possibility of a very large lawsuit from say, an ignorant family of the new opt-out system.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wait. Since when is there a fee for not being an organ donor? I've gotten my California Identification twice (it just expired last year) and I never remember anything about that. That actually bothers me, because I do not want to be picked apart upon my death, and do not appreciate having to pay because I choose that for myself. It is not for any religious stance. Just a preference.

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What do you care if you get picked apart? You can do what you want with my body after I'm gone; I sure as hell won't be needing it anymore.

In any case, if you renewed your ID or Driver's License before the fee went into effect, you're likely not a donor. Rarely are these things retroactive.
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Like I said, though: I just renewed last year. Late last year, in fact. My birthday is in May, but I didn't renew til, like, November.

Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Funnily enough, I was involved in a discussion about organ donation where there were some people who refused to donate their organs just because they didn't like the thought of it.
I approve of this move since people can always opt out if they refuse to donate their organs, so it's not a loss of liberty.
I still don't understand people who object to having their organs being taken away from them. Religious opposition? All of the world's major religions (Self edit: Not all of the world's major religions; Mormons are agasinst it) not only advocate organ donation, they also say that it's one of the best gifts that can be given to anyone. Worried about scarring? There won't be any scars and any disfigurements will be fixed. Scared that the doctors won't try and save you? You have to be declared clinically dead first in any case.

Quote:

Personally, everyone I know who disagrees with organ donation ussually disagree very strongly, so I think the people who will be incredibly opposed to this law are the kind of people who would make an active effort to take themselves of the list.

If that's so, I don't see a problem with the law. They can opt out, people who would have preferred to donate their organs but didn't do so have their organs donated to people who need them and well, everyone is happy.

Last edited by Luceit on Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Luceit wrote:
Religious opposition? All of the world's major religions not only advocate organ donation, they also say that it's one of the best gifts that can be given to anyone.

This is not completely true! Mormons, for one, are completely against such an act, and I believe the muslims, as well.

Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Duly noted and I have added a note to what I said initially. I'm certain that this is not true in the case of Muslims however, since there is a shortage of organ donations among Muslims in Malaysia and this scenario would be illogical if Muslims couldn't donate in the first place. It would present a problem in the case that registering people as automatic organ donors doesn't constitute the patient's consent, because that is one of the requirements for a Muslim to be a donor.
Upon further investigation, I'm not sure if what you said is correct. According to this website Click here, this would mean that Mormons are not restricted from donating their organs.

Edit: The url got mixed up with the comma, so I edited the link.[/url]

Last edited by Luceit on Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Decado

Desert Elite

357208 Potch
0 Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The link doesn't work Luceit.

The below link provides some more info on religious viewpoints of organ donation - this is in the UK though and doesn't diversify into all the separate faiths of Christianity such as Catholic etc...

https://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/how_to_become_a_donor/religious_per spectives/leaflets/summary_leaflet.jsp

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's strange. My mom's ex-boyfriend was a Mormon, and according to him, organ donation was viewed as wrong, because your body was considered sacred and was supposed to be left whole. The man wasn't exactly the most devout person, though, so maybe he was just talking out his ass.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: