Suikoden Unique and Infamous Kosher Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Economics Thread

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Community Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Economics Thread Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Since I've seen economical things discussed in several threads, such as the falling value of the American dollar, to NAFTA and Outsourcing, it's probably best we have a thread to talk specifically about these issues rather than cluttering up other threads and getting those threads closed.

Quote:
As far as being a jeweler or what-have-you and those jobs being outsourced, most of that isn't NAFTA, especially considering it is not causing all the outsourcing. There are a lot of jobs in the United States that plainly do not exist anymore, and there are (different) jobs replacing them. If I really want to be a bard, but I cannot find a job being one, that's not really NAFTA's fault, that's just life. Sometimes you have to get a job you don't necessarily want to get by.

This has actually been an issue I've had in just about every economics class I've had. And it's, is the US shooting itself in it's foot, by turning away from the industrial manufacturing, and companies just outsourcing their labor to other countries because it's cheaper?

I mean 60-80 years ago, this was a huge part of the American work force. But now, what factories there are have either gone automated with technological advanced, or have their labor force in a country where they can pay them alot less.

This isn't to say there aren't niche markets for custom hand made things, but you have to be very skilled at what you do for that.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Keep taxes, regulation and even wages low and the country can keep it's jobs. To say it's "just life" for jobs to move abroad is acting as if it can't be prevented, it can by staying competitive and keeping a stable currency. Nowadays unexportable services have replaced these jobs and the USA in particular now has become this massive consumer economy that one day will be brought to it's knees with the frailty of it's dollar and the eventual rise of other foreign currencies allowing the people who produce the items and services, to consume them as well.

Yeah, I'm not really an economic optimist. :P
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
This isn't to say there aren't niche markets for custom hand made things, but you have to be very skilled at what you do for that

For the record, this is exactly what he's trying for, but it's a whole lot harder to have it anything other than a piece of art these days.

I had heard that there was a specific bill passed that reduced taxes for companies that outsource their labor, is this true?

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Economics Thread Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Milan Fiori wrote:
Since I've seen economical things discussed in several threads, such as the falling value of the American dollar, to NAFTA and Outsourcing, it's probably best we have a thread to talk specifically about these issues rather than cluttering up other threads and getting those threads closed.

No, the discussion of the economy and economics in general is far, far too broad for a single thread. They should be dealt with on a thread-to-thread basis, with maybe an economics forum being made if demand was high enough (which it is not).

Imagine the chaotic, cluttery nature of this thread if debates began in two or more subjects at once.

-closed-
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: