Suikoden Urgent and Illusional Kraalesque Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

US Elections 2008
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 25, 26, 27  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Iowa shows who's viable and who isn't, and what voter sentiment is like on a large and measurable scale (phone polling is shaky at best, while votes are votes).

Clinton is pretty easy to take jabs at, so I disagree with the notion that she's the Democrats' only hope at scaring the GOP. If you wanted someone like that, go with Joe Biden. He's had some fiery rhetoric and great soundbytes during Foreign Affairs committee meetings.

Last edited by Leb on Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lots of people really hate Clinton, I doubt she'd do well enough to get the nomination. To be honest I'm more comfortable with the gentler Obama at the helm than warhawk Clinton. :P I'm dissapointed Ron Paul hasn't done that well, he beat Giuliani though. :D
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd almost sooner vote for Huckabee than Clinton. Those are the worst of the evils on both sides, and I'm sick of having to choose one evil over another.

Again, I'm hoping for Edwards to win, but it would make me just as happy if Obama won. But again, it's not her lies or policies against video games that really piss me off about her, but her power fetish. And no, I'm not saying that just based on NAFTA, but because of some literature and reports saying that her whole life runs on her position.

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree, Huckabee is pretty terrible, he exploits his religion like theres no tomorow.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What, you think that's worse than Gravel and Brownback? I personally don't mind Gravel's policies, but the man is a bit of a loon. Just... thank God the latter dropped out.

My win-win is any of the three Democratic candidates and John McCain. Ron Paul is batshit loco and Guiliani is a bit too... wishy-washy for my tastes.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I dont know either of those guys Leb. I guess I was only talking about the evils that have a chance in hell.

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Leb wrote:
And considering Hillary Clinton is the front-runner in national polls, it's hard to consider her "unpopular." She just causes love-hate feelings in voters, which she's tried to counter by humanizing herself in TV ads (her mom lives with her at home!).

Fair enough. I see what you mean, though. Perhaps it's how ardently she is disliked that makes her seem so widely disliked. She is definitely the one I've seen criticized the most, and most strongly. Others deserve more criticism than she, I think, though I don't really support her.

Tullaryx wrote:
Neither candidates has shown that they have any concrete ideas with how to deal with not just the domestic problems the country is having but also international ones. Obama has tried to show that his ideas are concrete but watching him on Sunday mornings on Meet the Press and other political shows on Sunday shows me someone whose inexperience will not avail him well when dealing with seasoned state leaders. Yes, he is charismatic but charisma can only take someone so far...

If Obama does win the nomination I have a feeling the GOP attack dogs will tear him down through every means until he either breaks does the same or ends up looking toothless unable to fight back.

I do think that you are underestimating him. Although I would not be altogether too surprised if he were to resort to more underhanded methods of appealing to the masses and distorting the images of his opponents, I do not think that it will be too likely to happen. Moreover, I do not think that he will "break" or be left with a tarnished appearance and end up sorely beaten. He has enough support to counter such attacks and hopefully he won't fight fire with fire. However, I do think he will be faced with many obstacles to overcome.

Leb wrote:
Clinton is pretty easy to take jabs at, so I disagree with the notion that she's the Democrats' only hope at scaring the GOP.

I agree with this. I've seen too much distaste for her--founded and unfounded--for me to disagree.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A president is only as experienced as his staff. I'm not saying experience isn't worth anything in that position, but the quality of their cabinet and advisers is arguably more important.
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Clinton is also hated because she says whatever she has to say to get the 51% support she needs, and doesn't care about the other 49%. I'm not saying that other candidates don't do that (they most defintely do) but she's blatant about it and does it rather often.

I also agree with Yvl that deciding between Huckabee and Clinton is like deciding between two evils. I would consider Huckabee the worst evil personally because I think he would be G W Bush 2.0 and bring about a whole new wave of religious uber-conservatism that this country really doesn't need right now.

I think the one thing Clinton really has going for her is that her husband is an experienced President who has built up a support/contact network that will be at his wife's disposal. All of Clinton's friends and allies will be her friends and allies. And she basically already has the experience, sitting at her husband's side.

^Actual quote!
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Admiral Ackbar wrote:
I think the one thing Clinton really has going for her is that her husband is an experienced President who has built up a support/contact network that will be at his wife's disposal. All of Clinton's friends and allies will be her friends and allies. And she basically already has the experience, sitting at her husband's side.

She also has his enemies and the extreme hatred on the right of her. Republicans would all get behind a piece of string if they went up against Hillary.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Anyone catch Obama's victory speech last night? Twas a good one. Perhaps the best Presidential speech I've been alive to witness. If there's one thing the man knows how to it's to give a damn fine speech. Definitely gets people fired up, I can see him carrying enough momentum-- especially with a speech like that-- to win New Hampshire, as well.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cNZaq-YKCnE

Yeah, that was pretty nice. Not the best I've heard, but it really was well written.

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Being a New Hampshire-ite-ian-er-person, driving around seeing the posters and lawn signs just within my local area (one of the larger towns in the state and right next to one of the larger cities) Obama is pretty popular here already. We're technically a republican state, though since the last election I've seen a large jump in support for democrats.

Besides, the Iowa Caucus means nothing! "The People of Iowa pick corn! The People of New Hampshire pick Presidents!"

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gil-galad wrote:
Anyone catch Obama's victory speech last night? Twas a good one. Perhaps the best Presidential speech I've been alive to witness. If there's one thing the man knows how to it's to give a damn fine speech. Definitely gets people fired up, I can see him carrying enough momentum-- especially with a speech like that-- to win New Hampshire, as well.

I agree with you entirely. This is the best live speech I've heard, pertaining to American politics. I'd say he's as good as JFK at crafting inspiring words to fall on receptive ears.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

He's the best speaker of the candidates this year, but he's no wordsmith like Reagen or even Clinton. But then again, I just really miss Bill Clinton. You don't know what you've got until it's gone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 2 of 27

Jump to: