Suikoden Uncouth and Illegal Kraalesque Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Hardest game you've played?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Delsaber

New Gaien Wildcards

132495 Potch
1660 Soldiers
2625 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm, then I'll have to give it another shot someday. As it is now, I find the game balance rather jarring and the walking speed much too plodding. The upcoming Phantasy Star Complete Collection for the Japanese PS2 will add settings for these issues, so if by some miracle we get an English version, I'll be all over it. As it happens, Phantasy Star II might actually be the harder game...

Of course, I'd be much more inclined to play English versions of the Sega Ages remakes. Dream on, I guess.

Back on topic, I can't believe I forgot to mention Colony Wars. In particular, its sequel Colony Wars: Vengeance was especially unforgiving. There was one mission in particular which tasked you with the destruction of an enemy asteroid mining complex. Of course, right in the middle of a dangerous asteroid field. Guarded by squadrons of enemy fighters and weapons platforms. Oh yeah, and forget about backup, this is a solo mission. Did I mention that the mining station itself has an impenetrable shield and is armed with a giant Ion Cannon which can kill you in one shot? And that in order to destroy the station, you have to 1) heat up asteroids with your lasers, being careful not to destroy them, 2) latch onto the heated asteroids with your grappler, and 3) slingshot the asteroids into the station?

Don't believe anyone who says Freespace or Starlancer were harder.
KFCrispy

51948 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Final Fight 2010 for NES. i used a gameshark to give me more lives but there was no code for like infinite life and the biggest problem, infinite time per stage. i managed to get to the final boss at the very end with the cheats for extra lives, AND i killed the last boss or something, but i ran out of time because you have to do something else or beat up the boss in 2nd form or some crap.... the game itself has good concepts but it's hard as heck and don't forgive you for anything.
BlackKnightYuber

320868 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Another game that just occurred to me is the old Silver Surfer game for the NES. You always had to be wary of not only your enemies, but bumping your head on the terrain around you and falling off your board. I finally beat the game one night using the old Game Genie.

Last edited by BlackKnightYuber on Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crono

Something Wicked

162570 Potch
200 Soldiers
40 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I never beat the first Musashi game for PS1. That ending level is difficult and I would always run out of healing items and screw myself. One of these days I'll go back to it and kick its ass for good. I want to face off against Lumina so badly.
We have an urge to kill
And our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
We'll fight 'till the end, and send our enemies straight to hell!"
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i can't think of current ones now, but I rerember the unplayablity of ghosts and goblains, and thanks to The angry video game guys on youtube and their 'shows' you can see the pain if you never played it.
along with soloman's key and jaws. ok they dind't do shows on soloman's key but it was hard.

Dark Cloud makes me unhappy. And ecco the dolphin is quite challaniging when 13 and the orginal Zelda is to when you are 9 or so.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Delsaber wrote:
Hmm, then I'll have to give it another shot someday. As it is now, I find the game balance rather jarring and the walking speed much too plodding. The upcoming Phantasy Star Complete Collection for the Japanese PS2 will add settings for these issues, so if by some miracle we get an English version, I'll be all over it. As it happens, Phantasy Star II might actually be the harder game...

Of course, I'd be much more inclined to play English versions of the Sega Ages remakes. Dream on, I guess.

Hey, they almost made it to America. They were going to release the Sega Ages versions of Phantasy Star 1-3 here in a single volume, but when they canned the Sega Ages remake of 4, it seems they gave up the idea of brining 1-3 out in English as well. :( Maybe with the complete collection there's a bit of a new hope?

I still think the hardest game I've played yet is the original Zelda. Everything wants to kill me and I have no idea where to go, and it's hard to get lost. But that's mostly hard because I'm not very good at it...I suppose the hardest game I've played besides that is Super Mario Brothers: The Lost Levels. That skid on Luigi makes the game incredibly difficult, to the point that I wonder if anyone has ever actually beaten the Luigi game.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Wolfheart

Midnight Howl

39338 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just finished La Pucelle Tactics yesterday night... that's what I would call a hard game. Oh, yeah... I probably have to mention that I didn't go for the ultimate challenge in the Dark World. That's incredibly long and hard and generally, once I finished the main story of a game, I don't feel like taking back the last save to do all the side quests. They have to be done in the game progress for me. I'll probably go for it on my next playthrough, especially now that I know I get to keep my levels, skills, money, objects and the enemies start at level 1 again!

So yeah, hard game if you don't level up like crazy early on. Even more so if you want to kill the giant whale monster and the tentacle tree one. And what's wrong with magic? You can play more than 3/4 of the game without even hearing of the importance of magic resistance. Just boost your defense and you'll be fine. Start being serious about the game's challenges and you'll be sorry you didn't pay attention to your RES earlier. And it comes without warning.

Apart from that, mini-games are often harder than the game itself. Did I hear Final Fantasy X's butterfly catching and chocobo race games? That's the kind of thing that make me want to smash the controller against the TV screen.

In Potch We Trust
Demon Eyes Kyo

Crimson Crusaders

260069 Potch
250 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To me the hardest game I have ever played are the Devil May Cry games. Those make me throw an f-bomb here or there...if not all the time. I started DMC3, I have to say that game is damned hard. I died at least 5 times on only Mission 3.

Return that soul to God.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
KFCrispy

51948 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well Devil May Cry is obviously beatable. a lot of the old games you couldn't even pass the first stage (Ghouls N Goblins!)
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Devil May Cry on 'Dante Must Die' mode is clearly just ridiculous. I have a hard time beating the game on easy but my friend got all the way through all the difficulties in DMC3 up to Dante Must Die level where you fight two of those angels at the same time. Hours he spent dying to those same enemies. Then again that's not the base game that's the freakish difficulty setting.

The games that REALLY get me are the platforming ones, especially when that is only a sub-part of the game. An example is Valkyrie Profile, in the Palace of the Dragon you're supposed to follow this 'guard' back and forward until it falls asleep, I would do it for hours and the damn thing never fell asleep for me, it was so freaking irritating I tell ya. I eventually gave up on that.

Of late the other game that annoyed me with its difficulty is Dracula X Chronicles on PSP. The base game looks awesome but its an insult to the Castlevania series in terms of controls. You play as Richter Belmont and if you've played SOTN you should know that he's one of the Belmont clan with all sorts of fancy moves like uppercuts and the ability to swing his chain around... in this new version you play as Richter but you can't do anything... in fact you can't even angle your whip its just straight across and that's it. In terms of movement abilities, you can double jump but the second one sends you flying backwards, you can't even freaking run. The controls feel so 1970 that you die all the time and its just freaking frustrating as hel. I only played enough of that game to unlock SOTN and then I've declared that I'm done with it. I don't want to put myself through that again.

Crimson Crusaders

260069 Potch
250 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Devil May Cry is beatable of course, but it is very difficult. I'm having a hard time on Normal..but then again I am not too used to these games yet. I'd play Devil May Cry 2 but if people deny it's existence..then I guess not. >_>

Return that soul to God.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Devil May Cry 2? There was no second game. ... I SAID THERE IS NO SECOND DEVIL MAY CRY!!!!

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Onix

26611 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Final Fantasy X
Valkyrie Profile
Devil May Cry
:mrgreen:

"It shall be engraved upon your very soul!" Hrist Valkyrie (VP2)
Ralphy Leone Tensei

Aces Wild

8872 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I tried playing Warcraft: Frozen Throne but I kept losing to my friends and, more embarringly, to the Computer AI. I'm not really a real-time strategy game kind of guy but that was freakin' hard...

I also played Drake of the 99 Dragons but I ended up throwing it to the garbage bin due to its damn control scheme. It was damn hard. Come on, moving and camera rotation at the same analog stick??! This is was just as hard as that WWF Road to Wrestlemania for the GBA, which is also unplayable due to a wrestler's moveset consisting only of a kick and a grapple (You can't even do a bodyslam unless you ask God to forgive your sins first).

BlackKnightYuber

320868 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Onix, good call on Final Fantasy X. I finally get to the point where I beat Sin, only to realize there are 2 more boss battles within the beast. Oh, and I've already used Anima's overdrives. Yep, I was screwed. Of course, I gave up on Final Fantasy as a whole years ago.

Since KFCrispy brought up Ghosts 'n Goblins, how about its PS2 successor, Maximo? Specifically, Ghosts to Glory, as it's the only one of the two that I've played. This is another one I gave up on, after it became quite apparent that I had neither the interest nor the patience to fool with it any longer. I like a degree of challenge in my games, but that one was just too much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: