Suikoden United and Irenic Kibbutz Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Daddy Wasn't There!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Daddy Wasn't There! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So, I'm sure everyone has noticed this. If you're the Hero in Suikoden, chances are you won't have parents with you.

Suikoden I - Who was Tir's mother? Uknown.
Suikoden II - Riou's real parents? Who knows! And he only had one adoptive dad.
Suikoden III - Hugo's dad? Who knows! Chris' family...a mystery for the most part, until the Wyatt thing is discovered.
Suikoden IV - We know who his father is, but no mother present? Surprise, surprise.
Suikoden Tactis - No mother, and we saw the fate of his father.
Suikoden V - Finally, someone with parents. Oh, wait, we all know what happens.

So, do you assume this will happen in Suikoden VI? And why do you think this is such a popular story for a hero?

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Daddy Wasn't There! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden I: She was around, she just died whilst Tir was young.

Suikoden IV: Lazlo's mother is probably (almost definately) the Queen of Obel who gets killed by the Rune of Punishment.
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Daddy Wasn't There! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hayashi Ujitsuna wrote:
Suikoden I: She was around, she just died whilst Tir was young.

Suikoden IV: Lazlo's mother is probably (almost definately) the Queen of Obel who gets killed by the Rune of Punishment.

Well, both of them are killed. So, my point that Hero's can't keep both parents remains. But thank you, I didn't know about Tir's mother.

Nikostratos

629196 Potch
5000 Soldiers
465 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

in number one it is stated that Tir's mother died, and that Gremio took care of him during his youth. In 4 it's never really stated who the hero's father was, but you can attempt to figure it out, and you still don't know who exactly his father is but you have a guesstimation. In tactics well... the hero does have a mother, it's just very very very odd...
Overdose

Space Monkey Punks From Japan

349252 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden 1: Imagine if Sonya was Tirs Mum!
Suikoden 2: There is never anything mentioned at all
Suikoden 3: Im not sure but I notice that Chris's mum is not well documented
Suikoden 4: I just assumed Lino was the dad due to the coincidence of stories, it just fitted.
Suikoden 5: He just loses them, but nice to see a hero who had them.

It can been seen as quite tragic I guess, a hero alone find the company of the Stars of destiny. Its a story that never seems to get old, makes for a good game.

FOREVER X!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well...why do you think the absence of real and natural parents is so common? We're yet to just see two normal birth parents sticking around through the game.

And yes, i forgot about that weird weird weird Tactics secret.

Perverted Old Men

3407 Potch
954 Soldiers
86 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I suppose the lack of parents is a defining feature of a hero, generally one's parents take care of you, while a hero who leads an army can't have anyone to take care of him/her. Someone who everyone relies on, can't have anyone to rely on himself. I guess it's cliche, but it somehow makes the character more independant and really all of the hero's have been independent, even if they never say so - you need to be indepenant to take on the government or enemy army. I suppose they could easily encorporate a characters parents, but I don't see it as being an issue or something that defines being a "hero" it's just a cliche' story hitch they use to single out the hero character type.

I hate you Onimaru.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ezekiel wrote:
Well...why do you think the absence of real and natural parents is so common? We're yet to just see two normal birth parents sticking around through the game.

Well, generally they've all been brutally killed. :P
Master McDohl

Toran Liberation Army

100000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Indeed one of the defining features of a hero is the lack of parentals. I mean put yourself in any SoD's shoes for one moment. Would you want to follow someone into battle who's been spoon fed all their life? ( Though in the case of the Prince I suppose that's hypocritical ) I wouldn't want too. How would that person be able to decide what's in the best interest of an entire army of warriors if his or her parents pampered them their entire lives.

They'd have no sense of responsibility, and in retrospect; no ability to lead whatsoever. I suppose that this pattern will continue with all heroes of Genso Suikoden. It only makes sense.

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I suppose losing your parents makes you have to grow up real fast. And when you're commanding an army, you don't have time to grow up on the battlefield, with other's lives at stake.

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Daddy Wasn't There! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ezekiel wrote:

Suikoden Tactics - No mother, and we saw the fate of his father.

Just because she technically may debatedly count as livestock doesn't make Yohn any less of Kyril's mom, as insane as that plot twist may be.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think there is a difference between being spoon fed by one's parents and simply having parents at all for a good portion of one's life. Honestly, the simplest answer is its a typical cliche for many stories. The hero who is all alone has to overcome immense odds. Typically, I believe it is done more out of laziness than anything. You learn more about a character when you observe their relationship with their parents. Storytellers want to kill off the parents because they probably figure its easier to assign traits typical to many RPG characters once they have experienced the loss of one's parents. It also lets them avoid having to explain things more and have to create more relationships for the character.

Suikoden V is a good example. The events of that game wouldn't have happened the way they did if the parents weren't killed, so obviously it was a plot device to continue the story. In Suikoden IV, you had the orphan who conveniently didn't know who his parents were, and they didn't go in depth much about his relationship with his adoptive father. We find out much later his "real father" after all the stories have played out and there isn't anything more to write about. All the main character's in Suikoden III had at least 1 parent, except for Geddoe, so I won't comment on that game. In Suikoden II, again, the real parents were nowhere to be found, and the adoptive parent died before we could meet him. You have your typical lonely heros in that one. In Suikoden 1, Tir at least had his father, and it was a driving point in the story.

Anyways, as I said, when one or both parents are dead, it can likely be attributed to the developers just not wanting to take the time to flesh out those characters and relationships.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Master McDohl

Toran Liberation Army

100000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Anyways, as I said, when one or both parents are dead, it can likely be attributed to the developers just not wanting to take the time to flesh out those characters and relationships.

I agree with everything that you said except that, Zonder. In Suikoden V, the relationships between Arshtat and Ferid and their two children seemed to be developed very well. The first time I played through the game, I half expected Ferid to join the SoD's.

The developers knew that they had something good going with the Royal Families relationship, so to make for one HELL of a plot twist they killed them. While in Suikoden I, Tir becomes very distant from his father and accomplishes alot before he's forced to confront Teo. Therfore I believe those two Genso Suikodens were the best at character-parental relationships.

I don't even know what I'm getting at here!!! Lol!

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You're right, there are exceptions. Most of the time, however, that's not the case.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Phamex

Raccoon Dogs

135274 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can see how the presence of parents might undermine the development of the main hero, but I'd still like to see them included in a game and not split up or die. Wouldn't it be interesting to see some hero with deadbeat parents that show up and try to ride his coattails and hit him up for money?

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised to see the "Orphaned Hero" routine in VI, but after the fantastic job they did with Ferid and Arshtat in V I'd like to think they'll move away from that trend. I can hope anyway :roll:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: