Suikoden Utopian and Informational Kriegspiel Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

DVDs with cardboard sleeves...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackKnightYuber

320868 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: DVDs with cardboard sleeves... Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So, I'm sitting here on Christmas Day, pondering this after having received a few new DVDs. Call this curiosity on my part. Why is it that a lot of DVD manufacturers see it fit to slip a cardboard sleeve over a DVD case? Especially since, most of the time, the contents on the sleeve is exactly the same as the content on the case itself. Plus, it's not as if this mighty piece of cardboard is protecting anything. Do we really need to cut down more trees for this bewildering phenomenon? Random thoughts are welcome. :D
Angelus

Queen of Falena

579729 Potch
0 Soldiers
2545847 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

During my time as a sales clerk at a video rental store, I noticed only big titles have those cardboard sleeves(especially horrors). So, perhaps it's just a sign that the movie is a big deal? Or maybe it's just there to attract more people to buy it? ("Ooh, pretty cardboard sleeve.")

Jorge Prima wrote:
What? Our pokemon aren't obeying?

When a problem comes along YOU MUST WHIP IT!
BlackKnightYuber

320868 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It just seems like a waste of good paper, though. Besides, I'm lazy. I like being able to pop open a DVD case, insert said DVD into player, then sit back and enjoy. Now they want me to remove a cardboard sleeve before opening the case? That's one step too many! Evil, I tellz ya! ;)
Angelus

Queen of Falena

579729 Potch
0 Soldiers
2545847 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

People taking a blank sheet of paper to write one thing, then throw it away is a waste of good paper. And worrying about paper running out is almost as big of a waste of energy as worrying that the planet will get hit by a meteor.

Jorge Prima wrote:
What? Our pokemon aren't obeying?

When a problem comes along YOU MUST WHIP IT!
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I rarely see cardboard cover sleeves on dvd titles that are not big releases. Even some big releases don't use them. Once you get to dvd releases of blockbusters then the cover sleeve usually used to protect the case itself. I agree there's no need for them, but I['m sure marketing people for these studios think they make the dvds more attractive and stand out more from the hundreds of other titles it has to compete with.

What I see happening more nowadays are studios switching from plastic dvd cases to more metallic ones. Most of the time its for big releases in the super-ultra-mega-limited-collector's editions. I actually prefer such cases over the old clamshells.

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

While we're on the subject, what's up with those little plastic snap on locking devices they put on some of the DVD cases nowadays? Those things annoy me to no end. Are we really so worried about the DVD's well being that high performance snap-locks are needed to protect it?

As for the cardboard sleeves, I've noticed them, but I can't say that they particularly bother me. In fact, for some reason something in my mind makes me want to believe that it makes the whole package higher quality, which I suppose is the purpose. >_>

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What annoys me most is the clear plastic tape that gets slapped over the edges of the case where the cover closes. I understand the need for it: it prevents the case from opening up before purchase and can help prevent theft of the DVD from the case.

But it would really be nice if I didn't have to spend ten twenty minutes trying to rip the damn tape off the DVD case just to open it and watch the movie.

^Actual quote!
retrospect.

Cosby You! Black Entertainer

102725 Potch
420 Soldiers
30 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i take pride in my dvds appearances, so i'm all for them. i don't give a shit about saving trees.

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Calvin wrote:
While we're on the subject, what's up with those little plastic snap on locking devices they put on some of the DVD cases nowadays? Those things annoy me to no end. Are we really so worried about the DVD's well being that high performance snap-locks are needed to protect it?

Did you have trouble getting a DVD out of the case recently? It's okay... Superman has kryptonite, you have DVD cases. It's like practically the same thing.

I like the cardboard sleeve (or plastic). I think they are using it since it allows them to increase the cost for something buy 5-10 bucks when the packaging probably only cost an additional dollar, if that.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's actually a good reason for the new double latches put into the newer clamshell dvd cases. One thing manufacturers noticed with the older cases was how "teeth" which locks one side of the case to the other will sometimes break off which pretty much stops the dvd case from closing. With the latches it won't matter if the interior lock breaks off. The latches will keep the case closed.

Cosby You! Black Entertainer

102725 Potch
420 Soldiers
30 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

those things actually really annoy me, the cardboard sleeve looks cool(er, depending on the flik) but those sideclips are just bothersome.

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1156566 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Calvin wrote:

When dvds are in their actual box and not in storage I would be worried about putting them on display with only a barcode system in place considering the amount of traffic which goes through those sections on a daily basis. If you wouldn't sit through up to 24hrs of security footage to pinpoint the time of an item being stolen (as dvds are easily removed and carry no such protection on them) then i see no problem with them. Of course, mine got unlocked when I purchased it so they really haven't been an issue, I get more pissed when they place stickers on the actual merchandise and then shrink wrap over it. "This is brand new just released, see what we did was we got these in mint condition, we slapped a a few stickers and price tags on it and then we wrapped it in cheap plastic to give you that crisp fresh feel so you pay top dollar for it!" I mean come on people let's grow a brain here.

On the cardboard covers, personally I like them more than the dvd cases but only when done properly and not half arsed like they do sometimes with box sets. We recently purchased the "chunky" box set of Heroes season 1 only to find one of the dvds in a plastic sleeve shoved into the box, I had half a mind to go back and throw the fucking thing at them. I do prefer the collectors tins though over the cases, box sets and cardboard sleeves, mainly because I've gotten cases that have had chunks of plastic floating around in it, cardboard can bend and fray but the tins, they're simplistic and they're durable. We actually say the Transformers tin today and since the three of us who went shopping had bought it on launch with the cardboard sleeve and security locking pretty much a simultaneous facepalm since the tin looked much better.

So for me, it's more durability and aesthetics, since I don't want to just buy a dvd since that would be a waste of money when you saw it in the theatre or can then record it to dvd when it hits the TV, I want to spend money to own the movie but also to showcase how much that title should be enjoyed in my eyes. Plus, sometimes they come with snazzy specials and dammit who isn't a sucker for specials. :P

320868 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Taking pride in the appearance of your DVDs is all well and good. But, when you think about it, that flimsy cardboard is a heck of a lot more likely to get damaged than the actual case.
Yohn

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The cardboard sleeve of my Superbad DVD got mauled within seconds at the party I went to, the edges started frayaing after people were passing it around. I don't see the point to them unless they're like some of the Disney ones with the raised bits and whatnot, but even then they are a bit silly.

Why on earth would Superbad have one on it? D:

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Thor McOdin

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I actually kind of like the DVD sleeves. I think this is because I like it when DVD cases feel so sleek and smooth. After they lose that luster, they begin to wear, get dusty, and in some cases, become sticky. Thanks, cardboard!

Random: However, what the hell were Sega and Nintendo thinking when they put Genesis and SNES games in cardboard? They don't even protect the games. Sure it was cheaper, but of all the "classic" games that I have for both systems, I only have two cardboard boxes...and both are pretty much worn out!

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: