Suikoden Ugly and Illusional Knowledge Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Student sues teacher over religious remarks.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Student sues teacher over religious remarks. Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I happen to stumble across this article yesterday and I thought this would be interesting.

Read here

The basic issue goes like this: Chad Farnan and his family sued Dr.Corbett (a teacher who teaches AP Euro History) because he violated the First Amendment that states that the government cannot support or bash religion. Apparently, Chad started to record what Corbett said in class after his mother expressed concern when he came back one day and expressed doubt about Christianity. From what I've read, the content of the tapes included such sayings as 'When you put on your Jesus glasses, you can't see the truth' and 'Religion is not related to morality'.

A number of Corbett's former students have rallied behind him, saying that Corbett was an excellent teacher and he would have never said anything like that and he also encouraged a lot of discussion. On the other hand, Corbett's critics say that he tends to go off-topic and he squashes discussions. There was also another article I read which claimed that Corbett had made remarks such as how churchgoers were more likely to be rapists and murderers. However, I have only found this in one article so it's likely that it's fake.

Opinions?

Not to pander to the majority, but if Corbett's remarks were as insulting as the Farnans made it out to be, I'd have thought that more people would go against him.

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

He shouldn't be able to sue for some passing comments made about religion in general, this person does not own religion.

That is all I need to say really.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The article requires registration and I'm too lazy to do it.

If it's a US public high school. Which I assume it was. The kid is just going to end up getting himself in trouble as it's illegal to use a tape recorder in a classroom without the schools permission.

As for the actual comments. Its something the teacher shouldn't have really done. Since it is a public school, he needs to keep an unbiased opinion while teaching. Regardless of his personal opinion.

However is it sue worthy? No. Not at all. He should however be reprimanded by the school. Probably just a talking too to make sure it doesn't happen again.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Milan Fiori wrote:
The kid is just going to end up getting himself in trouble as it's illegal to use a tape recorder in a classroom without the schools permission.

We must have went to different High Schools then. o_O
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I suppose it could have been a state law, but I was pretty sure it was a federal law. But I at least know here it's illegal to record classes without permission from the school. In fact the college I went to was the same way. You needed the instructors permission before you could record the lectures.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Milan Fiori wrote:
I suppose it could have been a state law, but I was pretty sure it was a federal law. But I at least know here it's illegal to record classes without permission from the school. In fact the college I went to was the same way. You needed the instructors permission before you could record the lectures.

yeah, we must have gone to different schools, because I never had any problems.

Recorder laws do vary from state to state. Where I live, it's single party consent, meaning you can record any conversation or discussion you are a part of, whether the other person knows it or not. HOw this applies to a university setting, I'm not sure. Really, if it was out in the open, I doubt there'd be any debate that it was implicitly allowed by use.

For the topic at hand, I don't think there's really anything to sue over. The tenet states a government entity cannot establish (ie: force worship) of any particular religion. It doesn't mean they cannot discuss it. If it meant so, then the first amendment would be rather useless.
HarmonianHiccup

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can understand, if that's what he really did say, why the student would have found such remarks offensive. Especially if the teacher offered no chance for rebuttal. I've known too many teachers like that to feel any sympathy for the man (if he DID indeed say those things). Too many teachers have used their positions of power to express opinions without giving the students any chance to think differently. Many of those opinions have NO place in the class room of a public school, and certainly they have no place in deciding a student's grade.

Discussion is healthy and productive. Slander and ignorant statements about religion to a group of children is not.

Is this case sue-worthy? I honestly couldn't say unless I knew more about it.

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Failure_Urn

[SPECTATOR]

672539 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well he should have the right to say what ever he wants, with his free speach and all that. However there are two limiters on that. One he is teaching a course for a school and should not be going too far beyond the scope of the course, and as a representative of the school should not be saying anything out of line of what kind of messages the school wants to express. Of course should be able to state his opinion though, and as a history teacher thoes kind of comments about what people may have done in the past would be valid opinions. The other limiter to you have the right to say what ever you like, is that people also have the right to listen or not listen to whatever they like. And as a highschool class (I'm assuming because there are no AP collage classes), thoes students do not really have the choise not to listen to him. Which is fine really as long as he is talking about things relivent to his subject and is just expressing his opinion. It would not be alright though if he was trying to make thoes students believe him and like tested them on his opinions.

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Something after rereading it. The whole problem began when the student expressed doubt about his faith. If a single teacher saying things like that affects your own faith. Then maybe you're the one with the problem and not the teacher.

Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://www.faith-freedom.com/uploads/cases/Complaint%20for%20Declarator y%20and%20Injunctive%20Relief_12.11.07.pdf
Page 4, line 10.

Most awesome teacher ever. Wish I had a teacher like that in school.
Gemini

The Fashion Divas

165087 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Himuro wrote:
Milan Fiori wrote:
The kid is just going to end up getting himself in trouble as it's illegal to use a tape recorder in a classroom without the schools permission.

We must have went to different High Schools then. o_O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_ABekiBooo < - - - is this your school :P (am joking)

The teachers in our school don't give a damn of whats happening or not ... students ,in our college, can skip a certain amount of lectures every four weeks. The Teachers sometimes do it themselves! We have tv's showing us which lecturer didn't come on that day! And we would be like *Ceeeeellleebrate goood times COME ON!*

Anyway i wouldn't think its worth it to sue a teacher for that reason ... besides if i were a student i'd just tell the head and let him decide on what has to be done ...
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, quote d is probably the best. What's better is that quote d and e have nothing to do with religion. They might be inappropriate, but they have nothing to do with religion.

In fact, most of the stuff he says is more political than anti-religious, though that's also problematic. The thing about the Jesus glasses is probably the worst thing said.

The dude sounds very much like a college professor. Considering he's a Dr., I'd imagine he's a professor who decided he'd rather teach High School, but the rules aren't quite the same. I doubt this suit will go far, but the teacher should be reprimanded and consider what he says more carefully.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HarmonianHiccup

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Now that I've read some of it, I do have to say that his statements are inflammitory, to say the least. I've never known anyone actually trying to prove an intellectual point to use the term "Jesus glasses." I've only ever heard people use it to mock those of us who take christianity seriously.

So yes, I can really understand why this kid would be upset. I would be angry too.

However, I probably would have gone the route of filing official complaint with the school district and dealing with things in that way instead of taking legal action against him. I don't believe it was directed at the student particularly in malice, so there's no reason why the student should try to ruin the teacher's life by suing him dry.

It's a sad case.

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

But, there is quite a lot of truth to what he was saying in that statement (A). Monarchy's, as well as other governments, have long used religion, not only to give a reason that they should be in power, but to control their subjects and peoples actions in a way that can be predictable. The use of the phrase "Jesus glasses" may not have been anti-Christian, but just a colorization to show his aversion to such a tactic. I am unfamiliar with the term, itself, as I've never heard it before, but it is easy to see how it could go either way. From reading through a few of those (I got through F), he tends to speak very derisively of things he does not agree with, which is not very unheard of in a more intellectual teacher, such as one who teaches AP. My band teacher in high school would read certain articles from the paper to us sometimes, when he found them to be particularly stupid (one that comes to mind was about Jerry Faulwell[sp?] talking about Tinky Winky being gay), or make subtle jokes to his attending the "Church of the Mighty Oak Tree". It never left a negative impression on anyone, and actually worked to make people more comfortable with having whatever views they preferred and to encourage the students and alumni/staff to debate and discuss things amongst themselves. We never ran into any problem of people taking offense, because it was always known that people held different views and opinions, and that all were accepted, but not necessarily had to be shared by all. It was a very healthy environment, from a mental standpoint.

Edit: HH, I wouldn't be surpised if the parent of this child was just sue happy, or looking for a way to get money. Most lawsuits in this country are about money, instead of what is right or solves a problem. I've been around some stupid lawsuits, and have actually had one instance where I truely should have sued someone myself, over defamation of character and, the name escapes me, but where someone gives you no out to allegations, but to admit to something that you did not do. In that case, I decided it was in my best interest to let it go, since I had not suffered much, but for the few days where my character was in question and when I was actually interrogated, and it would have been a long hard struggle sueing over it, in which I would only gain from it if I sued the entire company, which I still work for, when only three people were truely at fault.

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008

Last edited by TruePerception on Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I could see the teacher being fired for not doing his job, considering it's an AP Euro history course and he seems to be talking about current politics, but I don't think it would grounds to sue him.

This teacher actually reminds me of a World Literature teacher I had, except my teacher was a hardcore religious conservative. My teacher would always talk about conspiracies by the world bank and the government to take away our freedom and about how everything in the news is actually a subtle plan by the world bank to control Americans and get rid of the constitution.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: