Suikoden Unique and Informational Kriegspiel Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

2007 Games of the Year

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: 2007 Games of the Year Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is'nt any official. With the end of the year drawing in I just wanna gather everyones votes on what they think is the game of the year; for any platform.

1. Which game do you think is the best of 2007?

2. Why do you think it should be game of the year?

3. What seperates your game from its rivals? (e.g if you vote Halo 3, why is it better than Call of Duty 4 etc.)

I hope everyone has fun discussing. Merry Christmas.

Last edited by Sniper_Zegai on Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Persona 3.

2. Why do you think it should be game of they year?
Because it was really darn fun-- and I haven't even had the time to beat it yet. When it comes down to it, the amount you enjoy a game is the only thing that really matters.

3. What seperates your game from its rivals?
It's a pretty fun and unique combination of a relationship simulator, and a dungeon crawler. Doesn't sound like something that would go together very well, but it surprisingly makes for one of the most fun games I've played in a long time.

Honorable mention: Eternal Sonata.

Games I hope to get for Christmas:
Blue Dragon
BioShock
Mario Galaxy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rowler Majuka

Crimson Knights

3000 Potch
0 Soldiers
122304 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mass Effect

Because it combines Shooting and RPG into one, nicely packaged, planet-exploring game, that you cant beat in one sitting(I would know, i've tried XD)

Because it adds a new blend of diplomacy into games. The dialogue system is based and improved on the KOTOR system. Also, the use of roleplaying in a shooter game is a huge improvement on some other tries.
Fudozukushi

The Fudozukushi Minion Army!

1081894 Potch
250 Soldiers
143 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007 Games of the Year Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Halo 3.

Because it's the only game I can vote on for Game of the Year.

Because I haven' tplayed any rival games.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Game of the Year:

1) Pokemon Diamond/Pearl

2) An extremely solid entry into the series, it brought back the rabid popularity of Pokemon that we saw in the late 90s. Yeah, most people don't like that, but these games are too damn good for me to care. As of right now, I have 320 hours on my own file. 320, and I'm nowhere near done. May as well write "∞" if you have to give an estimate on how long it'd take to complete.

3) The ridiculous amount of things to do is a good start. Legendary and shiny pokemon hunting, move-breeding, team-building, Effort Value training, an assload of sidequests, a lengthy main quest and a fairly mature storyline (for a Pokemon game) are all part of the package. Combat is still a bit slow, but the rock-paper-scissors format of typings is still as enjoyable as ever to fiddle with. Add in some fantastic online capabilities (trading, battling, voice chat), and you get a title that sets itself apart from the other RPGs we saw this year.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: 2007 Games of the Year Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

BioShock is the best game of 2007.

BioShock should be the game of the year for all that it got right. The graphics was really next-gen and anyone who has played it and say it's not never stopped to really look at the game. The game also one of the few video games to actually have a story that engaged the player and made him care about what he or she decided when it came to the Little sisters. For a first-person shooter it wasn't dumbed down for casual players but made accessible enough that both casual and hardcore players could enjoy the intuitive controls. Plus, any game which could take Ayn Rand's Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged novels about Objectivism and have it make sense in a video game storyline deserve to be game of the year.

3. What seperates your game from its rivals? (e.g if you vote Halo 3, why is it better than Call of Duty 4 etc.)

For all the reason mentioned above. Plus, it also showed that games can have both great gameplay, great graphics and also great characters and storyline. It showed that such things are never exclusive from each other. While the game had its faults it's as close to a perfect game that 2007 had for the year.

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
and I haven't even had the time to beat it yet.

The ending ruined the game for me, sadly.

Still, that's the only decent game I played all year, so that's what I have to go with as well.

Moonlight Butterfly

203221 Potch
200 Soldiers
122 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: 2007 Games of the Year Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Super Mario Galaxy

It's probably the best Mario game every made, and is not saddled with the drawbacks some of the other 2007 nominees have.

It isn't insanely short like Mass Effect, doesn't feel like I'm playing the installment the came right before it like like Pokemon D/P and Halo 3 (though the flood levels in 3 weren't as bad as before), and it didn't remove vital main characters without explanation or remove great things from the fighting system like Persona 3. Things like Philemon's disappearance and the complete change of how personas work from a story perspective are never explained, the inability to control your team, and the loss of fusion spells with your allies because of it are all inexcusable. I haven't played Bioshock or Cod4, so I can't comment on any problems they may have.

So yeah... back to SMG, it's a great game, and I can't think of any immediate faults like I can with all the others.

I apologize in advance for not being able to keep my mouth shut about all the other suggestions so far.

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RPG of 2007: Persona 3
Third Person Shooter of 2007: Earth Defense Force 2012
First Person Shooter of 2007: Portal
2d Shooter of 2007: Raiden III
Platformer of 2007: n/a
Adventure game of 2007: Portal
Action game of 2007: Crackdown
Action Adventure game of 2007: Assassin's Creed
Sports game of 2007: Skate
Music game of 2007: n/a
Puzzle game of 2007: Portal
Fighting game of 2007: Virtua Fighter 5

Most overrated game of 2007: Hotel Dusk
Most underrated game of 2007: Assassin's Creed

Xbox 360 game of the year: Mass Effect
PS2 game of the year: Persona 3
Wii game of the year: n/a
PS3 game of the year: Super Stardust HD
PC game of the year: n/a
DS game of the year: Phoenix Wright 2
PSP game of the year: n/a
Multiconsole game of the year: Portal

Best game of 2007: Portal
Favorite game of 2007 (game of the year): Persona 3

Out of boredom, like what I did last year, I will be rating every single game I have played this year old or new, no matter what year they came out.

A * means that the game has not been yet completed and the rating may change in the future.

Rating scale:

1 - Feces
2 - Horrible
3 - Failure of game design
4 - Below average
5 - Average
6 - Okay
7 - Good
8 - Great
9 - Amazing, a game I will be playing for years to come over and over
10 - Classic. A game that is the definition of innovation and amazing game design.

snes:

Dragon Quest I+II (jp rom w/ translation) - 8.0
Dragon Quest V (jp w/ translation) - 8.5

ps2:

God of War 2 - 7.0
Taito Legends 2 - 8.0
Raiden III - 7.5
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 - 9.0
God Hand - 8.5
The Red Star - 7.0
Growlanser V* - 4.0
Wild Arms 5 - 6.0
Silent Hill 3 - 7.0
Silent Hill 4 - 6.0

Saturn:

Powerslave* - 5.0
NiGHTS (retrospective grading, ten years ago I would have given this a 9.0): 7.0
Panzer Dragoon (retrospective grading, ten years ago I would have given this a 9.0): 8.5
Panzer Dragoon Zwei (retrospective grading, ten years ago I would have given this a 9.0): 8.5
Panzer Dragoon Saga: 9.0
Virtua Fighter 2 (retrospective grading, ten years ago I would have given this a 10): 8.0
Tempest 2000 - 7.5
Bust A Move 3 - 7.0
Guardian Heroes - 7.5
Princess Crown (jp import) - 6.5
Vampire Savior: Darkstalkers 3 (jp import) - 8.0
Battle Garegga (jp import) - 7.5
Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter (jp import) - 8.0
X-men vs Street Fighter (jp import) - 8.0

Dreamcast:

Sakura Taisen/Wars 1 (jp import) - 7.5
Sakura Taisen/Wars 2 (jp import) - 7.5
Sakura Taisen/Wars 3 (jp import) - 8.0

Gamecube:

PN03 - 7.5

Xbox 360:

Gears of War - 7.5
Portal - 10
Dead Rising - 9.0
Blue Dragon - 8.5
Assassin's Creed* - 8.0
Crackdown* - 7.5
Saints Row* - 7.0
Mass Effect - 8.5
Virtua Fighter 5 - 8.5
Geometry Wars - 8.0
Skate* - 7.0

Wii:

SSX Blur - 3.0
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves - 7.0
Trauma Center - 7.0

PS3:

Ninja Gaiden Sigma - 7.0
Super Stardust HD - 8.5
Heavenly Sword - 5.0

Ahhh...what a great year.
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Persona 3.

2. Why do you think it should be game of the year?

I don't think any other game got me off the computer for two days.

Persona 3 was a truly addicting experience for me, even more so than almost any other RPG I care to name. Despite my usual dislike of games emulating real life, I found the school experience very impressive and it sucked me in. I played quite a lot of RPGs this year, but Persona 3 was the game that I never put down for even once.

I would say that the main thing that seperates Persona 3 from its rivals is the story. Although the game starts out on a very slow note, the story becomes very powerful and intense in the final months (to me, that is). Besides that, the Social Link system was a very fun thing for me since I studied the arcana before.

Honorable mention: Odin Sphere.

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Himuro wrote:
Best game of 2007: Portal

I liked the post but you did'nt explain why its worth playing? and to that extent are you saying Portal in itself is the best game or "The Orange Box" is?

Call of Duty 4 : Modern Warfare

Having made the leap to modern day warfare as opposed to its familiar WW2 background, CoD4 delivered a decent story and had great fast paced gameplay as well as incredible graphics. The best shooter of the year; if not the best game of the year.

CoD4 has many rivals on the shooting platform but I think it out matches all of its opponents with its strong multiplayer features. With Perks and Challenges to keep you busy in multiplayer it was a nice addition to the very rigid multiplayer of Halo 3. Although lacking a video record function it still remains a lot of fun to play.

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm saying Portal is the best game, not Orange Box. I seperate Orange Box and its games.

I feel it is the best because it had the most clever story, the most clever writing and dialogue, an innovative take on the first person genre that fused it with multiple other genres. It was 3-4 hours long the first time through, but it was still one of the best game s I've ever played. It is proof that a game does not have to be ridiculously bloated with extraneous content to be a good game and that short, most of the time, DOES mean better. It is one of the games I would give a 10.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: