Suikoden Ugly and Informational Kriegspiel Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Help a Christian considering converting to Islam
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's not true at all in America.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Himuro wrote:
I'm a bit confused about dating.

It seems many American Muslims consider DATING to be having sexual relationships. There is a difference. You CAN date and have sexual relations, but it's not required. It's hard to turn down, but obviously, nobody is forcing you.

Now the trouble with this is, let's say I do convert to Islam and I obviously want to date a Muslim girl. How is that possible if mosque's separate males and females? It's suggested to marry a Muslim girl, but how is that possible when you can't supposedly date and many Muslim functions have sexually segregated functions? This basically means that I will have to either: a. Bite the bullet and date a non-Muslim girl, b. Openly have sexual relations with Muslim girls, forgetting the values of the religion. c. ???

It's a conflict of interests. On one hand, you want to be faithful to your religion, but there's also the fact you grew up in America, which is pretty pro-sex compared to most American Muslims. Obviously, I'm not a virgin so going from being sexually active to constricted of it would be odd. But then again, Christianity prohibits pre-marital sex and look what's happened.

This is a pretty important issue. I'd like to know what some Muslims our age think about this issue. Hmmm.

It's true that when considering dating, it would be understood by the othrodox Muslim community as having sexual relationships. Building relationships would actually be more a matter of courtship, in the sense that if you want to go out with a woman, you are planning on ultimately marrying her, not just fooling around. As Shikator said, if you want to go out with a Muslim girl, the proper thing to do would be to ask the parents first.
But there are Muslim couples, at least in countries like Pakistan and Indonesia, where i had lived in. And you can talk with girls of course, since it's just as McScrooge said, the degree of the segregration fo the sexes is generally only with the mosques and bathrooms.

And concerning premartial sex, i wish that i could give you an easy answer, but you'll have to forgive me since i'm not a Islamic scholar and my knowledge of the dictates on Islam is limited, even though I am a Muslim. Yes, it is considered a sin, but it's definitely not the worst thing you can do by any means. So if you can resist the temptation of lust, you would be doing yourself a favour spiritually. And if you do give yourself into it, you'll be fine as long as you have sincerely repented, as i am told to believe. Don't ask my how to repent, since i don't know about that myself, and since there are different answers some scholars from different schools of thoughts that they give you ><

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

so you want to convert because you belive in what they do, or how they worship and pray?
I mean if you have pig realteed things in your life you might need to stop them (right?) or is there an Islam "light"?

is Islam having more 'burdens/restrictions" than Christanity?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gaara

Arrancars

5665 Potch
8300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Scarlet Assassin already mentioned me in this topic, though I'm not a convert into Islam, I was born and raised into it. Growing up in Islam, I have begun to question and disagree with many things that people say are required or forbidden.

So... what are my beliefs? I pretty much believe in the same basic foundations of Islam, Christianity and Judaism and dont pay attention to the minor details. They're all pretty much the same religion with the same God but have some differences. As a human being, it's natural for me to question things and I believe that is what you are doing. But overall I have formed my own faith.

Despite having my doubts and questions, I still consider myself Muslim because even though I believe in Islam, Christianity and Judaism, I follow Islam. I don't follow it by the book, I don't pray 5 times a day, and as much as I'd love to, I don't give charity as much as I should.

I've never had sex but I have many Muslim friends who date and some who have even had sex but they're still more religious than I am. So in the end, I think it all comes down to what you believe. You don't have to follow a certain religion, if you want to and feel a connection to a specific one then more power to you. Otherwise just be true to yourself and have your own faith in your own way.
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

kuwaizair wrote:
so you want to convert because you belive in what they do, or how they worship and pray?

Both, but I don't know if Islam is the way right now because I haven't read the Quran yet. I'm taking a break from the religion stuff. I'll read the Quran after break.
Sami

Liberating Swords

199204 Potch
27 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Christianity is pretty much the same as Islam. If you don't agree with the teachings of one and don't feel like it is if for you, then that will likely apply to the other one as well. Swapping religions like hobbies might be an aversive gut reaction to that, and after the initial interest, you might soon end up just in the same state of mind as you are right now.

Therefore, instead of trying a religion just for a quick swap solution, you should take time to think about your life and values, independent of religion. Perhaps you could write a diary aimed at pondering these issues. What do you want from life? Why doesn't Christianity feel right for you? And why is it Islam specifically that you're interested in, instead of, say, Buddhist philosophy or perhaps a more modern school of thought (and less a religion) like humanism. Is it because of the closeness of the two religions?
FabledHero

17817 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Why would you do this? Firstly religions are simply ideas and a set of guidelines created by man. Why do you think men have the answers? I think your problems lie inside your self, you're seeking truth and you're searching for the easy way thinking oh i'll just pick this religion and follow this faith. True inner truth does not work that way at all. You study different ideas and ideals and incorporate them into your life. You might take some moral lessons from Jesus, some things from Buddhism such as meditation etc.

I don't see how people can classify themselves as something when they pick and choose things out of the religion or philosophy. And that act in itself, picking and choosing is disagreeing with at least a part of that doctrine. For example if you convert to being a Muslim you will probably ignore the parts where it says to kill the infidels or anyone who isn't in the Muslim faith. This will require you to kill your family members etc if you truly want to follow Allahs will. This was incorporated into the doctrine because they wanted to keep gaining power and keep people in line. If you leave the Muslim faith you are to be stoned to death. It's really a lot like gangs. Claim your territory and kill any opposing gangs who enter, and you can join but you can't leave type of mentality. In my opinion to be a true believer in any entire philosophy or any religion requires being a COMPLETE sheep with no thought or opinion of your own. Or completely ignoring anything that you believe to be wrong about that doctrine and accepting that doctrine as complete truth and completely believing in it, which very few people on this earth truly do regarding any doctrine. Why is this? Because nobody or nothing has the answers. We all must decide what we think is right or feel is right in my opinion there isn't one true follower of any religion or philosophy on this whole entire board and if you say or think you are, you're lying (I say this board because you all are intelligent and inquisitive, you are discussing and considering other ideas after all). Simply telling yourself this book is holy and the word of truth or saying I'm a Buddhist isn't going to fly because you're all phonies. It could be true that you believe in some Christian principles or Buddhist principles, but the amount of people who truly believe everything inside of any doctrine with more than a few ideas in this world can probably be counted on one hand, and they're all likely very crazy.

There's no answer in religion just as there is no secret answer much like anything else. The biggest problem I have with religions and belief systems of any sort, is the fact that some of them try to coerce their followers to pressure others into converting into their belief system. I think this is terrible, just awful. The people who try to do that make the biggest mistake, they see others only for their differences exclusively, rather than the similarities as well. Live and let be please. How can we truly love one another or say we believe in equality until we stop trying to fucking judge or force our beliefs onto other people? How about we look at another person and see human, how about we think as ourselves as a human? Accept each other for who they are and form an opinion about them based on their character, not some dumb word or some principle that truly cannot possibly sum up the millions of intricacies that encompasses a human being. As for those who say they are a part of a religion or any belief system, I respect all those thousands of beliefs you have and opinions, but I don't respect your belief. Your belief isn't you, your belief's are.
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This topic isn't about personal problems that ant member may have with religion in general, it is about Himuro considering converting to Islam.

Don't post generalizations about religions or people in religions in this topic, it has no relevancy.

If you think that a person should follow their own path and not follow any religion, simply state so with out making any generalizations about religions or people in religions. The first part would be relevant to the topic, the second would not.

Consider this a warning.
zincbrain

Uttuku

441117 Potch
200 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well Himuro I personally think you should do what most muslims to be should do and that is go to Mecca and Medina on a spirtual pilgramage to learn more about the foundation of islam. My mother is a muslim scolar and she said that it is a sin to have sex out of mariagge and that it is a forgivable one if you make up for it in the end but the point is here my suggestion is if you cannot afford to go to see Mecca and Medina then you should go to see a muslim friend to give you some materials about islam and to think this through before you go through with it Islam is not something you drop on the floor if you after your done with it. It will stay with you for the rest of your life. So here is what you do get a quarn translated to the langague of your choice then read through it if you have any questions about it what so ever ask me or a imam in a local mosque.
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

First, I can understand the significance of this decision, but maybe you should look deeper to see if a new religion is truly the answer.

Faith is something I don't really have in my life, at least not in the sense of religion. If you feel that Christianity has less to offer you than Islam and are willing to make the change (even given these pretty messed up times), then I applaud your decision. While I haven't studied it extensively, I have enough to know that Islam is actually a wonderful religion of love, brotherhood and morality. It's just been corrupted by both the fundamentalists of the Middle East and the media and administration of the United States, but underneath all of the rhetoric and corruption there's still something there. People shouldn't let the thoughts and opinions of those around them affect such important decisions.

With regards to dating...just do what you have to do. Pray facing east (or west if you live in Asia), fast during Ramadan and eventually make the pilgrimage to the holy city, but take away from it what's practical to you. The good thing about religion is forgiveness; you can break the code now and ask for forgiveness later, and if you meet someone wonderful, I'm sure you'll know right away if you want to do this or not.

I personally live by my own code of ethics, but that's just me. I really have a hard time with all of the fighting and disagreements between the three major Western Religions (as they were all essentially fathered by the same individual) and I think that the minor details shouldn't matter if the major details are all in agreement. I also think that religion was created with the purpose of controlling people, but that's neither here nor there.

Good luck.
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Did someone in this thread say that Christianity and Islam are basically the same thing?

Oh Lord.
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think he meant in the most basic sense. Belief in God/Allah, do not kill, do not steal, be good.

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That doesn't mean that they're completely similar though. What an ignorant man.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think what he was trying to say is that if you are dissatisfied with the ideals of Christianity-- which is presumably the reason that you are thinking about switching-- that many of the ideals of Islam are similar, and the origins as True Perception points out, well, are the same. I do pretty much agree that if it's an ideological reason you're switching, I don't really understand why Islam, as they do share a lot of fundamental similarities. I don't really think you're going to find what you're looking for by switching from one of the three monotheistic religions to another-- but of course, in the end it comes down to what suits you. As you've said, definitely read the Qu'ran, keep options open-- you don't need to specifically adhere to a major faith.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's honestly because I believe what they believe. I only believe in one God, I reject the trinity belief. There are other reasons, but that, at this point is irrelevant and I'm not simply swapping a religion like a hobby. That's a stupid comment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: