Suikoden Unique and Informational Keystone Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Help a Christian considering converting to Islam
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Help a Christian considering converting to Islam Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm considering converting to Islam. Taking religion class this past semester finally got me to realize and truthfully admit that there really isn't much for me in Christianity. I always thought it was just me, but I realized it's not my style at all and I don't get much, if anything out of it. I've been up in arms regarding church since I was in High School. I am glad I finally am able to take a step forward and figure out my own faith. I just hope I'm not doing the wrong thing. I'm just going with my gut here.

I have been thinking about and studying the subject for a while. I will be going to a few mosque's here in Houston while on Christmas break and see if it's for me.

I'm kinda scared doing this though.
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is there a particular reason you plan on converting to Islam over any other faith? You seem to outline problems you have with Christianity, but you don't seem to say why you feel you should convert to Islam.
Username

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It doesn't matter what religion you choose... But I'd figure out why your scared first. If it's just a change scare then fine but if you have misgivings about your reasons you'll just find reasons to regret it later.

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Don't study a religion in its place of worship. You're less likely to get an honest, unbiased version of Islam in a mosque than by studying personally. Get some scripture and read it first. Ask any Muslim friends you may have (there are many people of this faith on the forum that are more than friendly) and above all else, keep in mind that converting is a big step, you should be sure of what you are doing before you make any decisions.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tek Jansen wrote:
It doesn't matter what religion you choose... But I'd figure out why your scared first. If it's just a change scare then fine but if you have misgivings about your reasons you'll just find reasons to regret it later.

I don't know where to start. How would my family react to this? I don't even think I've ever seen a Mosque in Houston - I'm currently searching on google for some to visit. Will I really have to change my name?
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My advice is to simply feel it out. It's impossible to describe fully but when you find the right place for you you'll know and you can begin a new or renewed spiritual pursuit. Since religion hits you in a spiritual part of your identity, it's foolish to just jump into a new thing since sometimes a lot of what you feel is a "honeymoon" effect where it's great to begin with but doesn't end up paying out in the end.

So feel it out and follow what you feel is your most appropriate spiritual home.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I too cant figure out why you'd convert to Islam of all religons. My opinion of them couldnt be lower - not for political reasons, but because I have looked into the religon a bit and it's honestly outright frightening to me, though that could be cultural. Still, any religous leader that tries to use his power of faith to gain political power is a huge warning sign in my book, which is exactly what Mohammad did iirc, though it could have been the next generation.

Username

441125 Potch
0 Soldiers
550446 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Scarlet Assassin wrote:
Don't study a religion in its place of worship. You're less likely to get an honest, unbiased version of Islam in a mosque than by studying personally.

Since when has religion ever NOT been biased towards itself. Come on, be serious here.

On topic. I'd advise trying to talk to other people who have converted, otherwise the advise you get will be sub-par. If you talk to someone who's been a Muslim all their life, and they'll have been indoctrinated into that faith, if you talk to someone not of that faith, then usually the advice tends to be biased against. However, if you can converse with people who have converted (converse/converted:D) then the advice they can give you will be much more valid and subjective than any you'd get elsewhere.
Mr. Geddoe

The Ghost Army

333054 Potch
380 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Having been a Muslim (both the friendly type and the zealot), an agnostic, an atheist, a deist, and all that throughout my life, I think I can offer some insights. :?

Religious conversion, if done willingly without political reasons, means a great shift in your overall philosophical worldview. It's a serious thing. Here are a few things you need to think over;

1. Why do you convert?
    Frankly, I do not know you, so all I can observe is your words in this very topic. I can see that you're not satisfied with Christianity, and then opt to adopt the Islamic faith. But then I must ask two questions.

One. Why leaving Christianity? Is it because,

• A. Cerebral reasons: Perhaps you're unable to grasp several doctrines?
    • B. Visceral reasons: You just don't like it for emotional reasons?

Two. Why choosing Islam? Is it because,

• A. You observed Islam beforehand and concluded that is the truth.
    • B. "Well, if Christianity is wrong, then Islam is correct... right?"

Let's see your answers;

• 1A+2A:
      So you concluded that Islam makes more sense. That means you're serious; and I think that means you believe that if you don't convert as soon as possible, your fate in the afterlife is at stake (since that's what Islam teaches). Now that you're serious about it, converting might be a form of intellectual honesty.
    • 1A+2B:
      Christianity doesn't make sense to you, but why falling to the dichotomy? Why Islam? After you confirm that Christianity is "not for you", you should check whether the Islamic faith is "for you", mate. What if it's barely making more sense? Check that out first. What of Buddhism? Deism? Or even Atheism?
    • 1B+2A:
      It's simple; just because you don't like it for personal reasons it doesn't necessarily mean that Christianity is wrong, you know. Just because the attitude of right-wing fundamentalists rubbed you the wrong way that doesn't mean the Bible god doesn't exist. You might want to rethink it, conversion isn't some decision you should make on a whim. I think you should think it over.
    • 1B+2B:
      Okay, you like Islam for aesthetic reasons. Man, I gotta tell you; rethink this. I've heard about William Craig, a Christian apologist with a PhD from some universities in Birmingham and Munich--- a staunch defender of the Christian creeds. You know where did he get his conviction? The smile of a cute believer girl thrity years ago in Germany. Go get something like that to robust your faith.

All I'm saying is, are you sure about this conversion? Are you sure that Islam is the truth? Not whether it's "for you", but whether it's the truth. Check out some scriptures and articles to gain knowledge, then make your decision. If you already did, then go ahead. If you didn't, do so.

Get the point? Don't let your conversion be a form of escapism. :)

2. What branch of Islam would you be in?
    As far as I know, there are hundreds of denominations in Islam, though effectively you'll only need to choose between the Shia and the Sunni. I think it's the latter, though. The first is kind of concentrated around Iran. Islamic jurisprudence is complex. What pattern will you follow? Regarding the veiling, for example. One might say it's obligatory. Another might say it's encouraged. Another might even say it's heresy (extreme minority, though). Well, all in all, I think you'll just need to follow what the mainstream moderate Sunni Islamists do.

3. Will it bother your family?
    How would your family react to this? Do you think they will allow you to do the conversion or would you do it covertly?

If you believe firmly that Islam is the truth, then perhaps you trust that you must strive. But if you don't... come now. Why fighting for something you don't firmly believe? It's best to come off as a doubter first, then search for the truth.

Well, so? Are you sure about converting? You sure Islam is the truth? Or you merely wish to escape from Christianity?

Is your conversion a form of intellectual honesty, or escapism?

My short advice would be, If it gives you peace, go ahead--- if it's a drag, don't. I'm not so religious, so that might be biased. But that's an honest advice, that you might need...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would imagine that spiritual matters do not lend themselves all that well to mere earthly research. I'm sure 90% of the religion practising members here didn't pull out the books as soon as they were old enough in order to reaffirm their belief in their faith. So I don't see why rigorous research is needed. If Himuro believes, everything will flow from that.

Will you parents be pissed? Uh, duh. You should probably prepare for a new theological war on that front.

The real question is, do you believe in the principles of Islam? Will you follow adab and so on.

If you don't actually believe in Islam, then don't waste your or anyone else's time. If you feel you need to just pick something and Islam seems the best choice, then that's another problem.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I know what its like to be brought up Christian, I grew up Anglican and was christened in a compulsory ceremony while at an Anglican school. Like you I became disillusioned by Christianity mainly because it teaches peace yet those that claim to be its most avid supporters (the clergy) are often found to be completely wanting when it comes to practicing their own faith. Combine that with the forceful indoctrination of many other cultures by missionaries in times gone past and I found that the religion just seemed corrupt to the core.

I spent a while believing nothing, but after finding this was not fulfilling I started to think about what I actually believed now that I was free of any specific religion. Primarily I decided that I could not believe in a single omnipotent deity, the very concept just doesn't sit well with me. From here I looked around at what religions there were around the world, then read up on a few before taking what I might call the logical approach and looking back into my own history to see what that revealed.

After looking back and finding German ancestry I found that the Norse faith was exactly what I was looking for, and as if it had been waiting for me to return. A lot of people have two instant conceptions of the norse faith, first they call it myth - suggesting that its a fairy tale and noone follows it any more, second they associate it only with the popular depiction of vikings as savage warriors that lived to loot and pillage. Viking literally means 'pirate' in the languages of the time, and calling all norse believers vikings is like saying all christians are pirates... the vast majority of the norse people lived in peace and while it cannot be denied it was a warrior culture, so too could all faiths and nations of the time be interpreted, else there would not have been war.

While I support your decision to move away from Christianity, which even these days does its best to force itself upon everyone it can - you must look into yourself to find what you truly believe. Do you believe in creation? Do you believe in polytheism? Do you believe god(s) are perfect? Do you believe we're all a science experiment by aliens? Free yourself of naming your religion and figure out your faith, then if you must - find the faith that best fits your beliefs... otherwise you'll just be lying to yourself and you might as well have remained Christian.

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The internet can be a good tool when it comes to these things, I suggest you search for some convert sites and things like that.
Mr. Geddoe

The Ghost Army

333054 Potch
380 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
The internet can be a good tool when it comes to these things, I suggest you search for some convert sites and things like that.

Well, you can't find just about anything over the net, so, depends on where you lurk, you can be a born-again Christian, a Muslim, a Jew, an atheist, or a doubter. :*laugh*:

I don't wanna sound agnostically biased here, but I think every theological stand has their share of convincing proofs, AND bullseye rebuttals. :|

BTW, Himuro, why not checking out articles regarding Islamism? Either for (from the moderate introduction, sophisticated apologetics, even to miracle claims), or against (from soft rebuttal to downright insult). :D

Bottom line: If you're not sure, don't freaking sweat it. This is serious business.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

All you need to do to convert is to recite the Shahada (in Arabic) and mean to convert, et voilĂ  - you're a Muslim. If you do not speak Arabic you should learn it - after all, it's the language of God. But you can also just memorize the Shahada; knowing Arabic is far from obligatory for a Muslim. Ideally you have at least two Muslim witnesses during this act of "conversion".
After this, theoretically you need to get circumcized. But as an American, maybe you're circumcized already anyway. Many converts take on an Arabic forename, but you don't have to if you don't want to.

With this you're done. Now just follow the Five Pillars of Islam: Shahadah, salah (five prayers a day facing the Kaaba in Mecca), zakah (alms-giving), sawm (fasting during Ramadan) and hajj (pilgrimage to Mecca at least once in your life).
If you want to become a Shiite, there are some differences.

In none of this a mosque is necessary, so if you don't join one it's not a big problem. Of course you have stated nothing about why you want to become a Muslim and what you expect to get out of your religion, so I don't know how important visiting a Mosque is for you.

Remember that following Islamic law, you are to be killed if you commit apostasy later and defect from Islam. So you can convert only once.
Of course your life is not actually in danger, living in the US and all, but you should still take your conversion very seriously.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Don't do it to just piss off your parents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: