Suikoden Unique and Inspirational Keystone Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Your Craziest Game Expenses
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thor McOdin

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Your Craziest Game Expenses Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

After a few days of debate (if you want to call it that), I finally convinced myself to buy a Sega Saturn. Granted the fact that the system was unable to compete with Sony and Nintendo, several very good games were licensed solely to Sega.

Of course, buying a video game for nostalgic purposes is crazy enough as it is, but it is even worse considering that the GOOD games for the Saturn are between $60-$200! I guess I was lucky to pick up Shining Force III, Dragon Force, and a few other titles for the cash that I forked over. It was a tad pricey, but I gave myself a Christmas present (not to mention I will make the money back). The ironically funny thing is that the system (with controllers and connections) was cheaper than one of the games!

In any case, since this is the holiday season (and Lord knows several of you are picking up a myriad of games right about now), care to share stories about your most expensive/insane/absurd/uninformed purchases?

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I spent seventy-some dollars for Suikoden II on ebay. That's as much as I've dished out for a game. I was lucky though since I keep hearing Suikoden II goes for over $100 usually.

When I went off to college and had to leave the PS2 with my brother back home, I bought another one. The first one was slow to load things, but it worked fine after it took extra long to read a disc. However, the one I bought was older than the one we originally had and wouldn't run a lot of the PS2 games I had. It was essential a black PS1. Stupid old, worn-out PS2. So I went ahead and bought another one. This time, the new slim PS2 and it of course works fine, but I spent over $200 in about a week on those systems.

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When I was in middle school, I convinced my mother to buy me Ogre Battle for the SNES. It was going for $95 at the time.

I've never really spetn an excessive amount on one game, but I have been close to it. I've been trying to get a copy of Marvel Vs Capcom 2 for the PS2 for a long time, but I haven't been able to afford the $100+ prices of it. I've been in a few e-bay auctions where I was in the upper $80s but got outbid in the last five minutes.
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The most i spent on a game is $77 for Suikoden II. I have been lucky enough with all the other RPG's i have bought in that i have never had to pay any more than $77.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The craziest game expense I've ever had was a one item purchase pf $200 plus dollar for one game and that game was Capcom's Steel Battalion. Anyone who has owned the original Xbox has seen this monster of a game advertised at stores or even bought one. I was one of the latter. While I don't have the massive controller set-up anymore I do remember the reason why I spent over 200 dollars on it. I wanted to see just how much a mech simulator it really was and I wasn't disappointed.

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is how I roll.

Quote:
The Panasonic Q multimedia console is a version of the Nintendo GameCube with the ability to play DVDs, audio CDs, MP3 and CDs as well as several other features. The system was officially released only in Japan. Since the GameCube lacked DVD playback functionality, a feature its competitors had, the system was licensed by Nintendo and was released in December 2001. The Q was first listed at $439 USD, but a modified version that allowed users to play DVDs from all regions was listed at $499 USD.

Nintendo's uncharacteristic decision to license the gaming technology to Panasonic is a result of the deal brokered between Matsushita (owners of the Panasonic brand) and Nintendo. When Nintendo signed Matsushita as the producer of the optical disc drives that power the GameCube, an agreement was struck allowing Matsushita to produce a DVD system with the capability to play GameCube games.

Other features of the Q include a backlit LCD, a front-loading slot disc tray, an optical sound output supporting Dolby Digital 5.1, a separate subwoofer jack, and a stainless steel chassis. The Q is capable of installing all of the GameCube hardware upgrades; however, because of the legs on the bottom, it requires a special Panasonic Q Game Boy Player unit designed specifically for it.

Panasonic ceased production of the Q in December 2003 due to low sales. As it is quite possible to obtain a regular GameCube and a standalone DVD player for less than the price of the unit, the Panasonic Q is not a very common purchase except for some serious collectors.

I've been meaning to put it back in the box, but... goddamn, it's gorgeous when those LEDs kick on. One of these days I'll buy the Q Gameboy Player, but those often cost as much as the console itself.
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am surprised a friend of mine doesn't have that. He got a ton of money a few years back and went on video game collector's item buying spree. He bought 30 original ataris at a yard sale for $500 and sepnt around $4000 total on items. He's a huge Nintendo fanboy as well.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Qs themselves aren't terribly difficult to find seeing as they were mass-produced for two or three years, but modified ones are difficult to come across. Mine will play anything under the sun.
Thor McOdin

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Funny. I've never heard of a Q. Then again, I was quite partial to Sony (and still am) before I picked up the 360. Huh...

While I do like my DS, I must admit that buying it just to play Phoenix Wright was a bit of a leap. I picked up three games on the first day and found myself in a bit of a hole financially shortly thereafter. Even worse was the fact that I stumbled across a brand new copy of the game weeks later and it was half the price of the used version. Damn.

Looking back, Final Fantasy III (VI) was a bit of a doozie when I got it as a Christmas present in 1997. If I remember correctly, it was $55 just for the game. Amazon now sells used copies for $28.

Here's an uninformed purchase. In the months leading up to the release of Lunar: Silver Star Story, I decided to put myself on the preorder list. After months of having the game pushed back, I finally had Lunar in my possession. However, one fact still remained; I had no idea what Lunar was. I guess I was drawn to the artwork or maybe it was the fact that I was really into anime as an eighth grader. Whatever the case may be, I found the game remarkably average. It was fun, but I don't know if it warranted a "throw caution to the wind" approach that I have come to be known for.

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.
Eden

Private Godwin Army

563383 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When I decided my English was finally good enough to play Suikoden III, I bought that game on ebay and paid 60 Euro. Unfortunately, just before it was delivered my PS2 broke for some reason I still have nor grasp completely. Well, as fast as I could, I bought a new one for 130 Euro and let professionals install a chip, which is necessary to play the game in the first place. The chip was sold and implanted for another 70 Euro.

You could say I spend 260 Euro to play Suikoden III... and it was worth it ;)

The Fool
shikator

Akamaru

492303 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I dont waste money when it comes to this, the only thing that makes me waste maoney is food.BUt if i did buy a ps3 that would be the craziest expense
Loran Cehack

Moonlight Butterfly

203221 Potch
200 Soldiers
122 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I dropped a ton of cash to buy a Japanese PS2 just so I could play Super Robot Wars Alpha 2 and 3. It just sits there now, lifeless and unused, mocking me.

Pilage and Plunder

77740 Potch
208 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Buying the Halo Legendary package was a bit extreme on my part. I was just gonna get the basic, but that helmet just called out to me. . .

Nameless Lands : Chikei - Avenging Star
Sig art by ardPSiko

All I want out of Life it to be a monkey of moderate intelligence who wears a suit.
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2327939 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hmm....I think the only thing I could say was the most extreme is that my dad bought a Wii on release day last winter.....It's not like we planned for him to go get it or nothing....and I was actually convinced we'd wait for it's price to go down....

But he went and joined the morning line-frenzy and was able to get one on the first day =O

other than that...I don't recall overspending/extremely paying too much for games...unless you count like....me getting Pokemon Gold (Japanese version) and Genso Suikoden Card Stories in Taiwan...
I don't remember how much I paid for the Japanese version of Pokemon Gold but I think Card Stories I spent somewhere around 1500NT$ for it (...I don't quite recall anymore...) which converts to about....maybe $47 US
=x

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I pre-ordered a PS2 - never again...

I'll wait until games are out, I'll wait unti they drop from the ridiculous starting prices and I'll wait more in general because of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: