Suikoden Urgent and Irenic Kibbutz Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

reviewer fired over kane and lynch review
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: reviewer fired over kane and lynch review Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://kotaku.com/gaming/rumor/gamespot-editor-fired-over-kane--lynch-r eview-328244.php

Quote:
According to the source, Gerstmann was fired "on the spot" due to advertiser pressure for his review of Eidos' Kane & Lynch: Dead Men. A visit to Gamespot shows that the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 game has taken over the site very prominently, with backgrounds and multiple banner ads all pitching Kane & Lynch. Allegedly, publisher Eidos "took issue with the review and threatened to pull its ad campaign."

Jeff's review was certainly less than glowing. He assigned the game a 6.0, otherwise known as "Fair" on the Gamespot scale. The game is currently enjoying a Metacritic score in the 65 to 69 range, which the site describes as "mixed or average reviews." According to our tipster, it wasn't necessarily the score that was reason for Gerstmann's rumored axing, but the "tone" of the review.

This is absolutely sickening and even further proof that the gaming community is a crock of shit.

watch his video review. He basically highlights why it's not a great game and he tore that game APART. DAMMMMMN that is ice cold.

I really wonder how this happened. Did Gamespot/Cnet (the people who own Gamespot) say that he HAD to give it a high score and he decided to just use journalistic integrity and report what he actually felt? Because that's the vibe I get from his video review of the game. He tore that game apart and acted like it was going to be his last review, and went out with a bang.

Either way, Gamespot staff is REFUSING to confirm or deny anything because they themselves will be fired. Holy shit. Corporate slime.

And if anyone thinks this is limited to gamespot, you're dead wrong. Publishers use bully tactics and moneyhats to secure high ratings from reviewers in this industry just as much as a rockstars get laid. Game "journalists" get fancy cigars and hotel rooms and flights off of the publishers' tab, but they do it at the expense of journalistic integrity. Kudos to Gertsmann.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's completely speculation at this point. The informant, who refused to identify himself, hasn't been proven to be someone privy to these kinds of secrets.

Both Gamespot and Gerstmann have been silent. And I will probably not research this topic any further, since it does not interest me in the least (stumbled upon it by chance).
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I know there are people who say that they never look at game reviews anyway so this might not be too much of a loss. While there's always been a certain amount of bias in people's reviews a sites like Gamespot, IGN, 1Up and others they mostly do a very good job of explaining why they like or don't like a certain game.

I'm surprised that it took this long for someone at one of this major gaming sites that rely on revenues from ads put up by gaming companies to cave to said gaming companies. Well, i really don't think they get fancy cigars, rooms and flights or even get laid on the publisher's tab. What they do get is the chance to play early builds of upcoming games months before anyone else. They also get copies of the game once it goes gold to play ahead of everyone else so reviews of it could be posted within days of a game's release.

I think the fact that places like Kotaku and Penny Arcade are willing to bring this news to light may make the editors of these gaming sites rethink their relationship with gaming publishers. With Gamespot part of the CNet company and this news coming to light this may not go away anytime soon. CNet has always been seen as being more objective with their reporting and this sure doesn't seem to be something they want to taint their reputation.

It's gonna be weird not to see Gerts with the rest of the Gamespot guys going off to lunch. Yes, I have met Gertsmann and the other Gamespot guys since the Gamespot office is half a block from where I work and we pretty much go to the same places for lunch. I'm wondering if the rest of the Gamespot guys are under a gag order in case Gertsmann decides to sue for unfair termination.

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Leb wrote:
It's completely speculation at this point. The informant, who refused to identify himself, hasn't been proven to be someone privy to these kinds of secrets.

Both Gamespot and Gerstmann have been silent. And I will probably not research this topic any further, since it does not interest me in the least (stumbled upon it by chance).

No it isn't. Gabe never posts on the PA forum and there would be no reason to make the comic released this early over speculation. The mods at Gamespot (read: staff) have told us to blame Cnet for this and not Gamespot. Multiple staffs members of various gaming journalist networks have known about this, and some that are in the know have confirmed it.

It's pretty much all but confirmed at this point. But it WONT' be confirmed because this is the type of thing that never IS confirmed. If you are expecting an official press release over the matter you are crazy. Also, there's no other reason why Gertsmann would be fired. It's too damn close for comfort to be a coincidence.

Quote:
Well, i really don't think they get fancy cigars, rooms and flights or even get laid on the publisher's tab.

Publishers treat the higher staff game journalists like celebrities so they can get good review scores. In many publications they even talk and brag about being treated like royalty: "We had a wonderful trip to France to see the new game from Ubi Soft;etc" It's Payola except for the gaming industry.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The guys at Penny Arcade jump on anything, so I laugh at the thought that the article suddenly gains credibility because a webcomic was made about it. I don't think you realize how ridiculous that actually sounds.

I read this article early on, so anything about this story aside from Kotaku is news to me. However, "mods at Gamespot" does not equal "staff at Gamespot". They usually have their own (separate) accounts which they use to comment. Usually infrequently.

The fact of the matter is that there is more than likely a string of events that led up to this termination, and I would imagine the Kain and Lynch thing was simply the final straw. Honestly, a man who gives a Tony Hawk game a 10 isn't in his right mind anyway.
Username

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Come on Leb don't be like that, You can't use a any review he had about a game you didn't like to justify him losing his job. Also the "Kain and Lynch thing" can't be a final straw at all becasue firing someone becasue they did their job as defined by their employer while the employer wanted them to be slanted based on ads is not only wrong but it is grounds for a law suit.

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You must be shitting me Leb. He gave THPS 3 a 10 back at the height of its popularity. I mean, look at THPS3's gameranking's profile.

lol @ The final straw. You must be kidding me.

How old are you Leb? 12?

As for the rest of your post: These are gamespot staff members, not simple mods. This is all over the place. Do you really think Gamespot staff would really stay quiet when stuff like this is happening all over the internet, especially their own forums?

Finally, you will be seeing more articles on this tomorrow.

Here's another article on it:

http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/11/sources-gamespo.html
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Himuro wrote:
You must be shitting me Leb. He gave THPS 3 a 10 back at the height of its popularity. I mean, look at THPS3's gameranking's profile.

Okay, what that has to do with his 10/10 for Pro Skater is beyond me. It just makes it sound like he was trying to make amends! Or that he enjoys trying to kill hype, which would certainly apply to what's happening now.

Quote:
lol @ The final straw. You must be kidding me.

How old are you Leb? 12?

Hey look, you can passively troll. Good for you, and I can passively warn you that you try that shit again and I immediately delete this thread.

Oh, shit. That wasn't passive.

Anyway. You make it sound like management needs very good reasons to fire you. In actuality, it's not that hard if the person involved keeps making 'mistakes'. His reviews have made him unpopular and he bashed the crap out of a very important game to one of the website's financial supporters. With just a little bit of applied pressure, the higher-ups can just decide he's too much of a pain to keep around, and he's let go. It would be the final straw. It is now up to Gerstmann to decide whether or not his employment with Gamespot was terminated unjustly.

Quote:
As for the rest of your post: These are gamespot staff members, not simple mods. This is all over the place. Do you really think Gamespot staff would really stay quiet when stuff like this is happening all over the internet, especially their own forums?

Yes. What is Gamespot's stance? "No comment." You can bet your ass that the second this story hit the internet that CNet sent someone down to Gamespot's corporate offices and told them that no one was to breathe a word of anything going on to anyone.

Quote:

Whoa, hey, cool, a bunch of immature teens spamming the shit out of some forums. Can't find that anywhere else!
Username

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

O-K. Now that Leb has taken care of that let's try and discuss this without flaming one another?

I still contest that they have the right to fire someone for something like this. He gave reviews for games and he isn't supposed to review it based on the readers impressions of a game. He's suppose to review it based on his "Professional" opinion and sometimes he'll give bad reviews to games that a wide audience might end up liking or vice-versa.

He can't see the future, he can only use his own judgment. Which is what reviewers should be doing. What they shouldn't be doing is mis-leading people just so they can please their advertisers, That isn't a review it's a lie.

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That line of threads was mostly by a few of the same person spamming again and again.

But yeah, typically you'll never see less than a 7.0 for a game from a major company because the publisher pays them off. I've known this for ages. However, actually FIRING the guy is a terrible business move, as you can see from the reaction here.

Space Monkey Punks From Japan

349252 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Its dreadful that someone was just expressing their oppinion about a game, in all fairness looking at the game I have to agree with some of his points abouth Kane and Lynch. The fact he got fired because of this is just ridiculous, there are many games developers out there who make sub par games and need to make do with average/fair reviews whilst other companies hype up games and throw money at games to make sure it sells well. Doing this by manipulating the media and in doing that in deceiving us (if you seriously take reviews into consideration).

Now I know from a trainee/student games designer the stance on how they see games journalists from one of the lectures I had last year on my course. Game journalists are frowned at by designers due to them looking for every flaw in a game, blaming this on the fact that they are the ones who failed to get into design and are being bitter because they are so crap (I was actually told something along the line of that).

I agree with Yvl, its a dreadful buisness move to fire the guy, then putting a gag order on his colleagues when its sort of obvious something has happened. This is one reason why i dont trust reviews. I gave props to an official playstation review of the new superman game in the past, it took up nearly 5 pages obviously due to the company wanting coverage but the verdict by the mag was that the game was 5/6 out of 10. People should have the right to say what they want when reviewing a game, definately shaking my head at Eidos over this as I was a fan of Hitman which was a very good game.

FOREVER X!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dismissing the guy just because a sponsor threw a fit isn't just bad business practice, it's just plain stupid considering it's easy grounds for a lawsuit. I'm guessing if this guy really did get let go for just giving some game a bad review, one that someone will be filing soon. Very, very soon. I would say even "as I type" but it's around 2 in the morning in California as I type this, so that seems a bit unlikely.

I'm not sure if there's really a story here or not. Of course, reviewers are paid for their reviews - video game companies would not send free stuff to reviewers just to be nice. And I'm sure there's been kickbacks under the table for a positive review; matter of fact, isn't it a common and accepted practice in Famitsu? I'm pretty sure I've heard that before.

This, really, is the problem with any reviewing media that relies mainly on ad revenue; there's always the chance that a sponsor's movie/music/game/dish soap/wookie toy dispenser/etc. will not be the brilliant, sparkling diamond the makers want it to be to a reviewer. What do you do then? The most ideal of sponsors wouldn't care, but most companies aren't exactly looking for journalistic integrity: They're looking to sell their brand and their product. And when they get a bad review, well, if it has any power at all, then there will be people who will not buy the product based on that review. I suppose one could say that amatuer reviewers, then, are ideal in that they are free from corporate bias, but even that in today's corporate world is rarely true. We wouldn't debate "console wars" if brand didn't matter in videogames. Pretty much everyone is biased towards or against something.

I think the only thing anyone can do is not rely on any one review, but read a wide review if one wants to get a wider swath of opinion. I suppoe through combining different perspectives, you'd at least form a fuller picture of the aspects of what the game/etc. is.

Personally, though, I think of reviews as previews, for the most part: something to tell you the basics about the game, and report anything that either stands out as particularly great in the game or stands out as particularily awful.

All and all, I don't think this will get that much ink outside of the gaming community. Gamespot isn't saying anything, and I don't think the world at large is that bothered about the prospect of bought videogame reviews. And if it doesn't get mainsteam press, I don't see it stopping as big a company as CNET, which owns quite a bit of the tech sector on the web.

Although I do hope it does at least open some discussion. I don't think this is a topic without merit.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Futch

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Update: We did get confirmation that Mr. Gerstmann is no longer with Gamespot. The circumstances in which he was terminated or left of his own accord, however, were not disclosed.

For whom? what the fuck man, I wish they would cut with the mistery, written like that it sounds like a blatant rumor.

Oh, guess what, the damn page says it's a rumor! I don't wanna see a re-review from this guy tomorrow saying how the game is awesome.

Is there any page in gamespot that says "staff"? If it got updated lately and that dude's name isn't there I think we got our rumor confirmed, he.
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/50134

Quote:
Update: CNET employee Tim Tracy has posted what appears to be a farewell notice on his GameSpot blog. Until July, Tracy was an editor at GameSpot, and since then has been working for CNET-owned MP3.com. If indeed Tracy is departing, it is unknown if it is related to Gerstmann's dismissal.

Weird timing.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wouldn't really shock me if it were true to be honest, many a good games review site/magazine/TV show has rotted because of too much attention or sponsors influencing the way the they operate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: