Suikoden Ugly and Illegal Kosher Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Voice Acting in S4
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aesa

Those Who Slumber

427118 Potch
250 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Voice Acting in S4 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes I know that there is more than likely another thread on this but if it ain't on the first page, I assume that there's not. anyways

Best Voice actors in my opinion were

For the best street like voice-Nalkul
For the coolest voice- Lino en Kuldes
For the most grave sounding- Pirate Brandeau
For the most realistic-Glen Cott
for the most mystical voice-Leknatt

The Worst were

For the most frikken annoy voice in the world-Chiepoo
For the least like her persona-Jeane
For not even having a voice actor- Hero4

The setting sun means the rise of a new day...
...excepting for Ragnarok, of course

~Tinto~
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nalkul, Lino En Kuldes, Brandeau, Graham Cray and Glen Cott were the only characters I remember with very good voice acting. As well as the Governor of El Eal.

A lot of the others were average, they done their job.

Terrible voices include Chiepoo's, which was annoying and didn't really fit the character. Leknaat's, because speaking like you're about doze off is not mystical. Elenor's, simply because it was monotoned and she couldn't even act drunk. Champo's voice was just grating and finally, Troy's was boring and uninspired. It's been done a thousand times before, Troy, and usually done a lot better to boot.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
El Regrs

15501 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I guess I'm the only one who didn't like Graham Cray's acting, lol. It was average, but he had a tendency to overenunciate, which made me want to plug my ears. Reminded me of Sailor Mercury from DiC's dub of Sailor Moon.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I sort of liked the overenunciation. It's the sort of thing that worked for the character, like each word he said was something delicious to relish. I can't really imagine him talking any other way.

I agree that Lino's voice acting was done well. You look at the character, and that's exactly how you expect him to sound. Not very royal at all, but that was sort of the point :)

Glen's was also exceptional, but he was played by one of the only true veterans in the cast, the president of Voxworks, who has done -numerous- roles in both dubbed anime and video games, starting way back with characters in some of the old Lupin Sansei movies. Not only that, but he voice acted for both GI Joe and Robotech, two cartoons I grew up on.

I didn't mind the monotone quality of Elenor, but I agree that she never once sounded remotely intoxicated. It would have been funny as all hell if she did, especially when you first met her. It also would have added depth to her character if she sounded intoxicated in any of the scenes where she was drinking, up until she had to start planning, at which point she "snapped out of it" and sounded clear and alert again.

I don't particularly think Nalkul's was that standout a performance, honestly. In fact, I can't think of anyone else whose voice acting really grabbed me. Snowe's, maybe, if only because he was pretty whiney and that's what the character needed to be :)
Trevoke

The missing liberty

25000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Erm.. Hero DID have a voice. Didn't you check the setup to choose between the more high-pitched, "typically japanese" voice and the graver "typically occidental" voice? Granted, it came out only in fights, but it was still a voice and it was nicely done.
Fuzi0n

[Angry mob]

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How can you not like Jeanes voice, was hot :D
Krawnik

Groundhog Pirates

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Voice acting in games.... it's the kind of thing where unless it's done exceptionally well, I'd really rather not have it. A lot of the actors sounded as though they were trying to crank out a performance to get a pay-cheque, but that they felt doing a game was below them, or something. Most of the characters had no energy (Kika, Elenor, Paula), or sounded like caricatures of themselves (Brandeau, Desmond, Setsu), or were just irritating (Chiepoo, Dario, Lilen, Paula again). That being said, I think Lino En Kuldes' actor did a fine job, probably the best performance in the game (which is a shame, because even his job wasn't outstanding, or anything). Snowe's voice actor did a good job portraying the character (Snowe was pretty much the only character in the game with a personality, so hat's off to his VA), but his voice fluctuated a bit much for my liking. No reflection on the VA, it was more about the character of Snowe in general- incredibly well written, but one of those characters you love to hate. Glen was performed well. I'll go out on a limb and admit that I enjoyed Ted's performance, but that could have just been because I was inecstasy from seeing him. Or maybe it's cuz I used to like Digimon. Okay, I still kind of do, but don't tell anyone >_>

416- friggin' racists, messing up my generalizations, also stealing my jobs, women.
RIP Ninjalicious
Aesa

Those Who Slumber

427118 Potch
250 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Trevoke wrote:
Erm.. Hero DID have a voice. Didn't you check the setup to choose between the more high-pitched, "typically japanese" voice and the graver "typically occidental" voice? Granted, it came out only in fights, but it was still a voice and it was nicely done.

I meant an actual voice not the squeks(spl) or cries at random times. Like actual dialogue.

Quote:
How can you not like Jeanes voice, was hot

-I didn't say I didn't LIKE it I said it didn't FIT her, take Jeane from S3, she was sort of quiet and reserved there. The Jeane of S4 seemed to follow the motto: "If you've got it, flaunt it"

Quote:
Or maybe it's cuz I used to like Digimon. Okay, I still kind of do, but don't tell anyone >_>

-I like it too, still think that season 1 was the best. Season 3 just completely wrecked havoc with it.

Order of coolness.
1-season 1
2-Season 3
3-Season 2
4-Season 4

The setting sun means the rise of a new day...
...excepting for Ragnarok, of course

~Tinto~
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I should probably point out that the Jeane from Suikoden IV is not the same Jeane from Suikoden III, supposedly, so that might not be that bad a thing that they don't seem to match up well.
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought Izak's voice was fairly comical, it at least made me laugh when he was talking about flowers. That was the worst one to me anyway. I really liked Graham Cray's voice and agree with Harukaze's description of it since I can't put it better "each word he said was something delicious to relish". Well put.

Ted's voice didn't sit well possibly because that's not how I imagined he would sound if you see what I mean. Yeah that's about all I'll just add, Lino was good, Elenor was bad, in my opinion.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I didn't mind the voice acting in Suikoden IV much, It was actually very above par for RPG voice acting in games now In my opinion.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I liked Elenor's voice, but I suspect a great deal of that like is because I really like Barbara Goodson. I thought it suited her character well, and I liked that they didn't go for the stereotypical lush voice. It was hard edged and perfect for her. I could not imagine Elenor with any other voice.

I also love Chiepoo's voice, because I think it's really cute. <3 However, it doesn't mesh well with the other Nay-Kobolds. At first I thought they all must be naturally higher pitched, but after meeting Nazgul, that's clearly not the case. Nalgul sounds so much older than Chiepoo, too, so it's unusual to think that he looks up to Chiepoo. I don't think his voice is annoying at all, but I clearly have little taste when it comes to voices. (Be warned.)

Leknaat's voice wasn't bad - she sounded a //lot// like what I always thought she did - but her voice actress sounded like she was asleep half the time. There's a difference between "far-seeing, mysterious sage" and "far-seeing, mysterious sage who just pulled an allnighter", and Leknaat's voice sounds far more like the second. I wouldn't have chosen that direction for her.

I liked Graham Cray's tendency to overenuciatiate. I thought it fit the character very well, as Cray seems to be exactly the sort of fellow who would over-enunciate everything. Saying that he would relish each word is exactly how I see it.

Didn't like Jeane's voice - I always pictured her having a really deep, kind of sultry-but-innocent sounding voice, and this one was much mroe of "I know I'm sexy. Deal. Bored now." kind of voice, IMO. Not that far off the mark, but far enough it gave me pause.

I did not like Ted's voice at all. Not at all the way I pictured him and very much not liked. Meh. I'll get used to it, but to be honest, the voice I always heard in my head is still much prefered to Ted's "real" voice.

I did like Lino's a lot. (Was I the only person who thought he sounded like Kiefer Sutherland and wanted to book him for a spot on 24?) Very fitting for the character, clear, easy to understand, and rather sexsay as well. ^_^

I also liked Brandeau. It's a bit caricatur-ish, but it firts the character well. Kika, too.

I adored Glen and Snowe. Both suited the character quite well and both really inhabited it. Pity Glen isn't in the game long and Snowe doesn't show up often either.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Harukaze wrote:

I didn't mind the monotone quality of Elenor, but I agree that she never once sounded remotely intoxicated. It would have been funny as all hell if she did, especially when you first met her. It also would have added depth to her character if she sounded intoxicated in any of the scenes where she was drinking, up until she had to start planning, at which point she "snapped out of it" and sounded clear and alert again.

In fact, I can't think of anyone else whose voice acting really grabbed me. Snowe's, maybe, if only because he was pretty whiney and that's what the character needed to be :)

I would of liked to see that, acctualy I saw somone saying her Japanese voice acting was pretty creepy, I dont know whose is more.

as for Snowe's whineyness..isn;t that why people disliked Tidus from ff10? wow, thats somthing considering the avatar I'm using elsewhere has been called "a young Tidus"

or maybe my mind isn't here right now.
-----------------

I forget who I wanted to slap, 'Poo was pretty cute. and Hero4's voice B was eh..well I didn't use it. I wasn't that out to go "oh this chara should be muted forever" Dario's voice was I think one of the ones I didn't like. the Mermaids sounded airheaded/dazed, I wanted to slap that blond one.
Lino's voice did add to his rough look, so we all agree. that means its right.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like Elenor's voice. I had a college professor who acted and sounded EXACLTY like her (just give her blonde hair and a Southern drawl). Maybe the voice just reminds me of the professor, but I thought it was cool. If Elenor walked around sounding like a female Barney Gumble, I wouldn't have liked her at all. She came across as a woman on the skids, kicked and spit on by life but not letting it kill her. Very Blanche DuBois.

Glenn's voice was cool, but had a very stange accent. "Someone could have crapet up behind you when you weren't looking and ... slayesh."

I pictured the Nay-kobolds as haveing a higher-pitched voice (it seems to make more sense for cats ... maybe it's an overabundance of cartoon voices, but it seems more appropriate. Nalkul's seemed far too low for me.

Viki sounded like Janice from the Muppets. I pictured her voice to be more like Rita's ... high and squeaky. She sounded stoned.

Jeane and Kika were both sultry and hot. End of discussion. :D

Ted and Leknaat could have used some work, I think, but Lino was very cool.

BTW, I mentioned this in another thread, but I never got an answer (and since I can;t find voice credits for this game anywhere): is the voice of Graham Cray the same guy who did Wynn in the HBO Spawn series a few years back? The voice seems identical to me.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Unfortunately the IMDb stands silent on this. Graham Cray's english voice actor is uncredited, it seems, at least according to this. I think the manual says. Er, no, I'm wrong. Anyone know if he's played by John Rafter Lee, since that's the fellow who played Wynn?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: