Suikoden Urgent and Informational Knowledge Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Lloyd Carr Calls it Quits

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sai Fujiwara

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Lloyd Carr Calls it Quits Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, as some of you NCAA College Football fans are no doubt aware, University of Michigan Football Head Coach Lloyd Carr has finally decided to call it quits after 12 long years as head coach of University of Michigan Football. During his tenure, he managed to win five Big Ten titles as well as a share of the 1997 National Championship.

His tenure has also been marred by what some may consider the single-most embarrassing defeat in the history of college football this year, when Division I AA Appalachian State came to Ann Arbor's Michigan Stadium, and stunned the #5 Michigan Wolverines at home, forcing Michigan out of the AP Top 25 for several weeks. In addition, Lloyd Car has gone 1-6 against Ohio State University Head Coach Jim Tressel in the storied Michigan / Ohio State rivalry.

As a Michigan alumni, I have to say that I'm pleased that Lloyd has decided to save face. I personally have been upset at his coaching ability and his stubbornness to change a system that just wasn't working anymore. Lloyd Carr's play calling schemes were the same as they were 10 years ago, when they won the National Championship. You can better believe that when former Ohio State coach John Cooper couldn't beat the Wolverines, current coach Tressel studied and made drastic changes and improvements to keep Michigan off-balance in their rivalry.

My biggest beef with Carr has been his stubbornness and what appears to be his lack of motivation ability these last few years. He's seemed to have lost the fire for his job. The athletes don't seem motivated to win. Surely, they had to have known their coaches' job was in jeopardy when playing Ohio State this past weekend, yet the Wolverines managed less than a hundred yards on total offense. Absolutely pathetic.

However, as bad as Lloyd's record has been against Ohio State these last seven years, I have to give the man a ton of credit. Lloyd had all the intangibles that a college head coach needs. He was a great recruiter, whom his players respected greatly. And he was a man of great integrity, who respected the game of football. Lloyd was a good person, and a man who cared about Michigan Football... Perhaps he cared so much, that he couldn't change his style of thinking. Stubbornness can be a pitfall, and it was for Coach Carr.... But, it was also a source of strength for him. His double-edged sword.

He won us a National Title, and while even I ragged on him about his OSU record and his poor play-calling, it really falls to the Michigan fans to thank him for the good he did. After all... It could've been a whole lot worse.

Now, the gossip starts. Who's going to replace Carr...? My money is on Les Miles, current head coach of the #1-ranked LSU Tigers. The man has a contract clause to opt out, if Michigan offers him a head-coaching job. With that knowledge, it seems that it's really only a matter of whether or not Michigan wants him. The thing is, Lloyd Carr don't seem to think highly of him, and it's likely he'll have an important say on who gets hired.

There are other candidates that could be hired, but for me, Michigan football is a big deal. I'd like to hear some thoughts and comments on this current event from anyone who watches football.

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
Samurai X

The Hokies

74481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A change at Michigan was needed. It was only a matter of time because of the losses to OSU. Losing to AP State at home didn't help the cause. I've watched a couple Michigan games the past few years and they never seemed to dominate their opposition. They have the talent and a new coach will probably put them back on track.

As for coaching candidates, Les Miles does seem like he is the likely candidate. Michigan man...makes sense. Lots of coaches praise the school they're currently at, but I'm sure Miles would leave LSU for the right offer. If not, there's always Jim Harbaugh.

Edit: I just want to clarify... Its not like Michigan is that far off track. 8-4 is hardly a terrible season.They're just not at the dominating level most of their fans expect them to be. Its not as if they're at the level of Baylor now (Please hire Singletary).
Sai Fujiwara

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ha ha ha ha ha, don't tell me you're a Baylor fan. Geeze, if that was the case, you're probably the only one! :P

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: