Suikoden Ugly and Infamous Kriegspiel Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is anyone else getting Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare? I've been a fan of the series since I played Call of Duty 2 for the 360 two years ago. Even the less than great Call of Duty 3 was pretty good compared to most of the WWII-FPShooters on the console and PC.

Infinity Ward returns as the developers for Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and it shows. A lot of the complaints people had with the third game has been fixed or just removed outright. IW went a different direction this time around and set the fourth game in more modern and current settings instead of keeping it in the realm of WWII. This choice has made the game even more fun and there's even more action going on in each level than in the first three games of the series.

I haven't tried out the multiplayer part of the game, but I heard consistent on-line gaming with others in ranked matches should unlock perks as in new and better weapons, gear and other accessories.

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I want it, but I need Orange Box first. Also, I need XBL before I can get it because you won't get a thing out of the game unless you're playing mp.
Demon Eyes Kyo

Crimson Crusaders

260069 Potch
250 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hurray for shootan games. It's about time there's a war game that's modern. I liked WWII and the history of it and all..but the video games and entertainment based off of it are getting SO played out. I don't own any of the systems yet, but if I get a PS3 or 360 I'll be planning on picking this up.

Return that soul to God.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I rented it last night just for more achievement points and it kept me up all night, I thought it would just be another FPS but the game plays great and feels much smoother than the old WWII games. I always loved the great intensity of the old WWII Call of Duty games, though it kind of felt fake to me as the weapons are all old with the endless reloading and just don't look as efficient or powerful as they are in the games. In this game the automatic weapons are way advanced so the extreme intensity feels perfectly realist, you won't feel as hopeless at times and have to rely on perfect shots because you only have three bullets before having to reload & reset shooting position.

The intense atmosphere is just awesome, and that alone made the game more enjoyable to me than Halo, GRAW, or Rainbow six. You are constantly pinned down under a crazy amount of gun fire and just feel the need to rush to a good position and fight back, there's not really any tricks or fancy weapons, you just shoot like crazy because it feels like the right thing to do. They also did a good job with planning the achievements which makes the game even more fun to play.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The most fun stage I played through wasn't even one on the ground. For those who have played through at elast 1/3 of the game will have experienced the stage known as "Death from Above". That stage where one controls the IR camera which controls the weapon systems on the AC-130 Spectre gunship (picutre below for reference at this kickass weapon system)

AC-130 Spectre Gunship

It's the quickest stage in the whole game but for anyone who has ever seen nighttime camera gun footage of airstrikes in Iraq will either feel horrified at doing the same thing or revel in it.

Drunking soldiers are us!!

6390 Potch
428 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sounds like a great game to get and play. I think i get it next week and play it.

Cheers for me.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just finished the game. Well, I finished it a couple days ago and have been trying out the multiplayer on Live all weekend. The online multiplayer is almost as fun as Halo 3's on multiplayer. If there's a beef I got with Call of Duty 4's online multiplayer it will have to be the lag that pops up and crashes one out of twenty matches. This usually happens with the Big Team Deathmatches and Dominion fights. I know when Infinity Ward released Call of Duty 2 a couple years ago they also had network lag issues. Here's to hoping they fix the problem with a patch because the multiplayer is very fun and easy to get into it right from the get-go.

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There are no online achievements (which I don't normally try to get in games anyways since those are usually harder) so I didn't get on xbox live. So many good games are coming out it's hard to commit too much time to just one, this was a really good game but I had to move on to Fire Emblem & Folklore before Assassin's Creed & Mario Galaxy this week, and Mass Effect next week along with lots of other games worth checking out.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

While there's no achievements for online play I still think the multiplayer is fun enough to try out for a least a week of playing. Infinity Ward was able to implement an XP system which slowly unlocks all the weapons and accessories outside of the basic gear a player starts off with. The multiplayer actually does a good job of putting in the rpg levelling system to help players set goals for themselves.

For hardcore FPS players the levelling and ranking system is actually too easy but for those who need all the help they can get online the system is just right. I know that with a week's worth of constant multiplayer action even the weakest player can probably reach general.

In Halo 3 the Bungie guys went and compromised. Allowing weaker players to rank up through perseverence while still giving the higher ranks to those elite players who can actually get to them.

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm trying to decide whether to get this game or if I should wait for the release of both Crysis and Soldier of Fortune: Payback later this month. I've been playing Half-Life 2 over the last few days (orange box) and am at the last chapter of episode 2 at the moment.

The only thing that's making me hesistate (apart from buying 4 FPS in one month lol) is the short single player game, I don't play FPS online, though do go to the occasional LAN party and with such a short 1P game I dunno.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, like halo 3 the single player campaign is very quick depending on your skill level. For those who are quite the FPS experts then this game may just be too quick on Normal and Veteran difficulty. There is the Hardened difficulty which from playing through some of the levels in the game is almost up there with Halo 3's Legendary Mode. I think it's just a tad harder in that the game has no on-line co-op to play through the campaign (one thing Infinity Ward dropped the ball on when it came time to developing this game).

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I must say I went ahead and bought CoD4 right away and I dont regret it, despite the short campaign, I realise that Im only bothered by the campaign being so short becuase of how good the gameplay was, I did'nt want it to end and I found myself going back to replay fun missions, the mission "All Ghillied Up" was incredibly fun.

On another note the things I hated about Halo 3's muliplayer mode, I found were non existent in CoD4's. Its fast, its fun and even a noob can stand a chance against a hardened player, its the kind of multiplayer I dont mind getting my ass handed to me in and thats saying something because I could eat the joypad when I die on Halo 3 sometimes. The perks, challenges and weapon upgrades are awesome and although they add another layer of strategy to the game its amazing how well balanced they are.

I can see why alot of people would think CoD4 would dislodge Halo as the shooter of the year and although I did'nt find it as "epic" as Halo, its undoubtly a must own game of the year. If you like shooting stuff. Buy this game.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think you're take on the multiplayer part is common for some who think the one for Halo 3 was more suited for the elite players, but I still stand on having it reversed. I think Infinity Ward should've created a matchmaking system which matched people up according to their rank. Just last night I was in a big team match of 9v9 where there were ten players ranked general and higher and 8 ranked sergeant and lower. While some of the lower ranked ones just got the game I could tell some were pretty much weak skillwise.

It's not a crack at CoD4's multiplayer which has been getting much play from me to the point I've stopped playing Halo 3 multiplayer for the time being, but I can tell just from the chatter over the headset that those who have achieved general rank and higher rarely got killed unless it was by airstrike, helicopter air cover or by another high rank player.

There's also a major problem in terms of their network and also spawn points that doesn't change. I'm sure these issues will get resolved just like CoD2's online multiplayer problems were fixed but outside of the fast-paced nature of the matches there's still much CoD4 can do to reach Halo 3 level or even Team Fortress 2. One thing it does have going for it is that the perk and challenges system does make playing multiplayer constantly worth the effort. Plus, the multiplayer is also very easy to just pick up and play.

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1156566 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is it worth upgrading for?

I would be getting this on PC since I personally dislike FPS on consoles (due to controller presets) and I do have CoD+UO(United Offensive) & CoD2 on PC (CoD 3 of course I missed since it was console exclusive) the problem with PC is that, like with CoH (company of heroes) my video card is unsupported (since it's based on an old chipset, 9200) upgrading the card itself is fine since graphics mean dick to me as long as it's not a lag bot effect.

The problem I have with this is the modern theme outside of the compatibility issues, with CoD & CoD2 it was good to not just play as the British or Americans (not just because of their nation but because they really had shit guns) and what I'm worried about this is that it's going to be a simple "Yay America, yay Britain, screw everyone else!" storyline base, which is what I don't want, if it were set in WW2 again that would be fine, but modern warfare, it seems like an excuse to be political and "damn commies, damn terrorist scum".

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Geopolitical themes aside the game is worth upgrading your PC for if you will be going that route. The weapons all-around are pretty balanced. Even picking up the weapons of the opponent force as a back-up won't lessen how well you fight. You'll actually be constantly trying to find the perfect pairing of primary and back-up weapon. I prefer the M60E machine gun, the G36C carbine and the P90 submachine gun during multiplayer.

In the campaign mode whatever weapon you're given in the beginning of the stage usually is pretty good enough to last through the whole stage. The weapons which have been set-up for you to use for each mission never put you at a disadvantage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: