Suikoden Urgent and Inspirational Kriegspiel Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Blue Dragon
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Blue Dragon Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's not an official thread for this so I thought I'd just make the thread.

Hmmm. I'm probably the only person playing Blue Dragon, but I don't care. It's fun.

I'm finding the class system in this to be absolutely addicting. Oh man, it's been ages since a new rpg came out with a good class system. It's neat how you can learn more than one class at once too. This makes you arsenal of skills immediately varied and attractive.

A part of the class system's charm is the class variety. The classes not only differ in skill set, they differ in play style as well. For example, a monk attacks just like anyone else, but he/she has a charge meter when they attack. Obviously, that means the further down the meter you go the stronger your attack is, but the longer it'll take to pull off. Black magic works this way too, so it can definitely make some battles tense, especially if you don't time your charges right.

Charges make all the difference too. This one fight was unbearable because I wasn't charging much. I charged, deciding to risk the attack being slower. I honestly thought I was going to get raped, and I ended up weakening the enemy. This risk vs reward makes some battles pretty interesting, although the difficulty isn't that high right now.

Here's hoping there's more class battle styles than just charging because I like that a lot.

I like how you can group enemies together and fight them all at once. It's pretty cool as this can cause monsters to fight and eat each other, doing the work for you. You also get way more xp and rewards this way. I managed to pull off the achievement where you have to do like 10 groups of enemies in one battle or something. Awesome stuff.

Speaking of achievements, achievements work wonders with rpg gaming. Seriously, they're making the game even more addicting. its so cool seeing an achievement pop up in an rpg for some reason, because it feels soo rewarding and makes me want to explore even more.

I like the story so far. It's minimalist and traditional, and that's the way I like it. The characters are pretty damn charming so far in my opinion. The overall adventure part has been okay, but it's getting better. The story is Dragon Quest-ish, but it's got the production values of an FF. That's great news. Since it's a DQ-ish story, that means it's more along the lines of adventure revolving around characters rather than just the characters themselves. Well written thus far.

The music is excellent so far, and has actually given me a little faith in Uematsu for a change.

And the visuals...jesus christ, the visuals. I don't have an sdtv (I think? I dunno but it'd be nice if someone could tell me if I do) I have a normal tv that's got mono sound and from the early 2000's. A lot of the text is hard to read sometimes but goddamit, the rest of the package is a visual tour de force.

The dub and translation ain't bad either. I've laughed a few times because slightly humourous moments occured.

I'm liking this. Well worth the wait. Frame rate during battles is wtf but other than that it's pretty enjoyable.
shikator

Akamaru

492303 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I havent heard of this game. is it on the playstaion 3? well judging by your informaton it sould like a cool game. Could be your new favorite game?
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No, it's not my favorite game at all.

It's for Xbox 360.

Anyways, the music in this is really good. Uematsu's best in a while. By a long shot.
Sialeeds

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well it's no game for me. I don't like the setting and the battles bore me personally. Of course it's just my personal opinion.
shikator

Akamaru

492303 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

this game reminds me of kingdon hearts. well iut does look addciting, sadly i dont own an x-box 360
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kingdom Hearts? It reminds me of Dragon Quest and Chrono Trigger. I guess the graphics DO look like a little Kingdom Hearts-ish.
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The game is pretty boring, I got it when it came out and played it for a few hours but haven't touched it in months, the characters are not that likable, the battle system is nothing special, and the setting & backstory are not very interesting, it's like a dumbed down version of Chrono Trigger for kids with some unnecessary language which seems out of place and lame.
Sialeeds

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

jjrrs wrote:
The game is pretty boring, I got it when it came out and played it for a few hours but haven't touched it in months, the characters are not that likable, the battle system is nothing special, and the setting & backstory are not very interesting, it's like a dumbed down version of Chrono Trigger for kids with some unnecessary language which seems out of place and lame.

Thats's what I wanted to say but couldn't articulate properly^^
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well that's like...your opinion...man
Sialeeds

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Himuro wrote:
Well that's like...your opinion...man

Of course it is. I don't like it either but that doesn't mean it's a bad game. So cheer up. ;)
Toph Bei Fong

Earth Bender

16926 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll stick with the anime, thanks. It's a lot better than the game. The art's a lot better, too.

But then again Akira-san did the designing, so yeah. >_>;

Seriously, though. Classes? That's not even in the anime. =\

To me, the anime is a lot better than the game itself. I'm only interested in the story, anyway.

Writing Hogwash In Progress
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You didn't know the game has classes and yet you say the anime is better. Jesus Christ. You unlock the classes within the first hour.

I don't see what's wrong with Akira Toriyama artwork, and i'm sick of hearing people who don't like his artwork every time I mention a game he's worked. His art is a hell of a lot better than most Japanese rpg character designs. At least I can tell who's a guy or a girl with his designs.

Anyways, I'm at the forest trying to get some medicine for these damn Devees.
Agahnim

Endurvakning

932410 Potch
200 Soldiers
36 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Himuro wrote:
I don't see what's wrong with Akira Toriyama artwork

His giant foreheads can be somewhat daunting, I must admit.

I gave the demo a spin, and was quite interested in the idea of a nice classic RPG on the 360, but it just isn't my cup of tea, I don't think. The style and the characters don't really appeal to my tastes and the battles were ridiculously easy. I know it was a demo though, mind you. I still might try it out at some point though, since the Dragon Quest games aren't exactly known for being shabby where the story is concerned and I do enjoy Uematsu's music.

You can't go wrong with a few extra achievement points either!

"The strong manly ones in life are those who understand the meaning of the word patience."
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

You didn't know the game has classes and yet you say the anime is better.

Ha, I was going to say you better not say anything bad about a game that himuro likes or you might get your head chewed off... I don't care about the anime but it's not like the game is better just because there are different classes, I agree with the gamespot review that said having classes in this game actually made the characters less interesting because it takes away their individuality.

Quote:

The art's a lot better, too.

Quote:

I don't see what's wrong with Akira Toriyama artwork

I don't have any problems with his artwork even though the style is always the same, but the character designs in this game sucks and it's made worst by the way they act. Like the main character looking like he's five years old in a wife beater and a stupid hair style who says "damn" alot (that really makes him seem cool, smart, and well educated), it's hard to enjoy a game when the lead character is such an a-hole. The art style is better suited for an anime or on paper too, so I'm sure in the anime where the characters are much better developed and story isn't so boring it makes everything better, but many of those things in the game does suck.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I've enjoyed the game as far into as I've been. The arrival of a certain trilogy ended has put a pause in my Blue Dragon gaming. I like the fact that it's such a throwback to old-school JRPGs. Maybe I just get the game where others seem to want it to be everything nextgen. While I will say that it is not a perfect game by all means it does put a credible JRPG on the 360 which it has always lacked.

Do I expect Mistwalker to do a better job if the game does become a franchise? Sure I do. Even the earliest Final Fantasies by the Gooch wasn't perfect or even that great. If any, this first foray by Sakaguchi into nextgen tells me he has room for improvement and I'm sure he'll do so after seeing the feedback from gamers who enjoyed and didn't enjoy the game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: