Suikoden Urgent and Informational Karma Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Bacon gives you cancer.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shikator

Akamaru

492303 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well im noe surprised. a lot of the things that people eat today have their own bad effects on our body. we should just be carefull i guess
Failure_Urn

[SPECTATOR]

672539 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have not read the study, but from what I know people can avoid the hightened risk of cancer by increasing their fiber intake. This would help decrease the ammount of time the foods stay in the body, and in contact with the bowl, which would decreas the cancer risk. Although there may be other factors I am not aware of.

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

With more and more common substances discovered to be carcinogenic, are there any study aimed specifically to ascertain which ones do NOT cause cancer?

That might be a good foundation for yet another diet programme, too.
Ryu

The Sunwall Army

83872 Potch
100 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Everything now adays causes cancer, do not eat bacon: it gives you cancer, do not breath the air: it causes cancer, do not drink the water: it will give you cancer, do not go outside: the sun gives you cancer, do not go to the bathroom: it causes cancer! Despite this study I will still eat bacon, carcinogenic or not. What people need to understand is moderation. and i do not want to hear any of that "everything in moderation, including moderation" crap either.

"If you beat a dead horse vigorously enough, it's constant twitching and juttering will at least give an assembulence of activity." ~Yahtzee, from The Escapist:Zero Punctuation
retrospect.

Cosby You! Black Entertainer

102725 Potch
420 Soldiers
30 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Himuro wrote:
I'm not going to smoke weed, it gives me cancer!

actually that one's still safe.

The Sunwall Army

83872 Potch
100 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Himuro wrote:
I'm not going to smoke weed, it gives me cancer!

actually that one's still safe.

lol that is true i can't think of a study that says weed gives you cancer... but still i was not kidding about the air. BREATHING REALLY CAN GIVE YOU CANCER!!!!

"If you beat a dead horse vigorously enough, it's constant twitching and juttering will at least give an assembulence of activity." ~Yahtzee, from The Escapist:Zero Punctuation

Last edited by Ryu on Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
retrospect.

Cosby You! Black Entertainer

102725 Potch
420 Soldiers
30 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ryu wrote:
i can think of a study that says weed gives you cancer...

pretty sure i could dig up more that says it doesn't!

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Alright, this thread has reached a new level of pissing me off.

I'm adding the american cancer society or whatever they're called to my blacklist along with Wal-Mart, Viacom, and Kasim Hasil. This report really made me think - Is this the result of all the money people have donated through charity? Just picking several random substances out of a hat and saying they give cancer?

On top of that, reports like these indeed cause the mindset "Everything gives me cancer, so I may as well smoke as much and do as much weed (Which is FULL of cacinogens, regardless of what any random stoner that happened to go to college will tell you) as I want."

Overall, this has been a depressingly counterproductive study, and I want my money back.

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Its not like they can go and test every single food in the world and work out its carcinogenic value, there's just too many. That is a large reason why many reports on these things come out with different results, you also have to look at things like corporate sponsorship of these studies - if another report comes out next year saying bacon is not carcinogenic, there's a good chance that it would be sponsored by an organisation that stands to gain from bacon intakes increasing.

The most worrying stat (though I'm not sure how they got it) from the study was that 90-95% of cancer is caused by lifestyle. That's quite a staggering statistic if you think about it.

The thing with these surveys and such, generally they just remind us what we should be eating anyway... besides if something doesn't give you cancer there's a good chance there's some other illness it gives - things like preservative 621 which is in so much packaged food/drinks its not funny is supposedly REALLY bad for you, but it's not like you go and eat something with this 621 in it and you're doomed.

There is always a chance that there will be a cure for cancer within our lifetimes anyway, it would be sad to get too paranoid and avoid carcinogens only to find that you didn't need to in the first place. But like I said, the recommendations in these surveys generally just reinforce the idea that you should have a balanced diet.

[SPECTATOR]

672539 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

retrospect. wrote:
Ryu wrote:
i can think of a study that says weed gives you cancer...

pretty sure i could dig up more that says it doesn't!

The smoke given off by the burning of the cigarette gives you cancer. If you do not burn it then it will not give you cancer, but if you burn it yes it will lead to cancer, or at the very least health problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: