Suikoden Uncouth and Inspirational Keystone Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Achievement Points: How are you dealing with them?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How are you dealing with achievement points?
Trying hard to get them all.
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Always try to get the reasonably possible ones.
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
Only get the easy ones that require no effort.
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Get whatever amount while naturally playing the game.
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
Don't care at all. (or won't care after getting 360/PS3)
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 11

jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Achievement Points: How are you dealing with them? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Can't believe there's not a topic on this already after searching, but getting achievement points have been a concern of mine since figuring out what it was shortly after I got my 360 at launch almost 2 years ago. Based on all the 360 players online, it seems not that many people care about it, but there are obviously ones that do. While I feel dumb to even care about something so pointless, finding out how to get those points have been the first thing I look at every time I pick up a 360 game nowadays.

I consider myself to be a person who always look to get the most out of my time and resources based on reason, and I think there's nothing good in return for getting achievement points, yet I can't help but focus on it anytime I could, it's also reduced my enjoyment of the PS3 since I'd always choose the 360 version of a game or just spend time playing the 360 because of achievements. Logically, I see no reason why I would do that, but I can't seem to stop myself and I have no idea why it is.

I see some good things about having achievements when playing games like: speeding up a game, encourage sticking with the game's story, trying out other modes, playing in different ways than normal, attempting crazy but fun goals in game, long term rewards... But the negative things almost seem much worst: waste more time on pointless things or bad games, making a game seem less entertaining once all/possible achievements are completed, getting achievements overshadows playing the game... I feel so suckered in by this gimmick that as long as I play games I won't be able to shake it, how is everyone else handling this issue?
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I live for achievements. Even though I know I won't be able to ever get all the 1000 achievement points on the games I play it does help set a goal for me to continue playing the game. One thing I like about the Achievements system on the 360 games is the fact people can tell when someone is lying about getting to a certain point in a game or passing the game. Achievements will give some proof that a player has achieved exactly what they're bragging about.

I think achievements can only add some appeal to a bad game. Even with achievements I still won't be buying a bad game. I may rent it, but then it'll just cut into my gaming time on the games I really want to play. One truly awful game was the Bomberman game (not the Arcade version) which was just too awful to even play. I rented it for a day and returned it the next day. I couldn't bother myself to waste any more time on it just to get some achievement points.

Now with games I do like and even those I'm somewhat interested in I now have more impetus to finish it rather than move on to another one. It's made my ADD when it comes to video games go away. Before I woulod stop playing a game when a new game get a a release. Nowadays I'll still get the new game but will let it sit in a pile until I finish my current one.

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think they're a cool feature but I don't think it's good that some folks will play any game just for the sole sake of getting achievements. I know some people that buy the shortest,easiest, and shittiest games just to get achievements for brag rights. It's pretty pathetic.
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Achievements will give some proof that a player has achieved exactly what they're bragging about.

I been thinking achievement points before anything else for about the past 130+ games I played on the 360 and I play more games than I should. I can't help but feel like the points are nothing more than a symbol of someone who spend too much time playing games.

Quote:

I think achievements can only add some appeal to a bad game.

It really helps the games that are almost good, I had a very good time play games like Enchanted Arms and TMNT knowing there are achievements to be gained, but it doesn't matter on other games that are just boring and lame like the action movie games. Tullaryx I know you play lots of 360 games, how much points do you have?

Quote:

I know some people that buy the shortest,easiest, and shittiest games just to get achievements for brag rights. It's pretty pathetic.

Personally I don't buy bad games and I don't feel any joy in having achievement points either so I certainly won't brag about it, but I'd play a pretty weak game for achievements if they are easy to get, cause on good games it's normally alot harder. So it's like if I spend 3 hours for 20 points in a good game, I might as well spend 3 min. playing a bad one to get the same amount.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have 9036 points at the moment. It's really not a lot compared to some.

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One thing I must say that is that I can imagine achievements being awesome when it comes to rpgs. It'll give you more reason to play, and I know a lot of people that were addicted to Blue Dragon not only because of the game itself, but the achievements. I can't wait to play Blue Dragon.
Agahnim

Endurvakning

932410 Potch
200 Soldiers
36 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really like the achievement points feature, it increases the longevity of a number of games, and makes you realise sometimes how much depth some games can have; which not might have previously been so evident. I've found the achievements have been bringing me back time and time again to games within the Xbox Live Arcade section, which I think has some of the most challenging achievements available.

In saying that though, I do believe that there is a downside. I've found sometimes that I've put aside the simple matter of just enjoying a game to its fullest, and have instead focused on getting whatever achievements I can. Instead of collecting everything just for the sake of completion, I might just collect whatever the achievements expect of me before giving up on it.

So they can be a distraction from the main body of the game at times, but by the same token, they can give some games more longevity. Overall though, I do enjoy them and like collecting then where I can, but I wouldn't spent £30 on a bad game just to get the achievement points. Maybe achievement points might motivate me to pick up a game I have a slight interest in, it would still be the case that its a game I would have at least like to have tried out. The achievements wouldn't be the sole appeal. At the moment, I have 10,598 achievement points out of a possible 18,000 or something.

"The strong manly ones in life are those who understand the meaning of the word patience."
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Everytime I get close to surpassing Agahnim he always pulls ahead. I shall surpass you sooner or later!

Yes, when it comes to rpgs the achievement point system actually give grinders a reward for maxing out player levels and collecting all the items. This actually makes filling out the bestiary on rpg games have some meaning.

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I rent games mostly for free and buy the really good ones so I try out everything I have an interest in, I think my game count right now is like 120+ not including arcade games. I have a good deal of achievement points but I try not to spend too much time to get the ones that are just ridicules or involves playing a game I don't like for a long time. I am also always reminded there will always be others with way more points as I have a friend that has almost 60k, and that's not even very much comparing to the top point getters.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I try not to compete with people not on my Xbox Live friends list. Now those who are on it I will try and compete with for fun. Again this goes to the competitive nature in me, but like you and others I won't continue playing a game just to get achievements I know will almost be near-impossible for me to achieve.

Beshennye Berserki

95809 Potch
200 Soldiers
23 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love the achievement points and I feel they add more to a game. I always try my best to get all the achievements in games I love, just to prove how much I like a game to the world. That might sound pretty sad, but I gain enjoyment in doing so.

On the flip side, I find myself playing through something I don't enjoy so much just to get those extra achievements or doing things I don't like in games I do like. As a whole I enjoy the achievements.

I voted "Always try to get the reasonably possible ones." as I do tend to leave some achievements. The Smash TV ones are just impossible, for example, and I wouldn't even try to get the hardest one.

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Have achievement points cause anyone else to rent or buy more games more often? I'd get about a new game everyday, especially at this time of year when good games come out more often, it's free most of the time but if it wasn't for getting achievements I'm pretty sure I'd be too lazy to do that.

Also has it cause anyone to spend less time playing the PS3 or Wii? (it's not really a problem with the PS2 to me because I accept that it's graphics and features are lacking in comparison to the new generation of systems and I'd play it for different reasons) Most Wii games are not worth playing anyways, but I'd have very little motivation to play PS3 games because there's nothing to look forward to except finishing the game. I just finished Heavenly Sword and thought the game was solid, but I was quite glad that it was over in about 5 hours so I could go back to playing 360 games, I'm also very interested in PS3 exclusives like Folklore and the new Ratchet & Clank but I'd have to think hard between choosing either of them or a mediocre 360 for achievements.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: