Suikoden Uncanny and Irenic Knowledge Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Dawn of War: Soulstorm
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Favourite faction in current DoW games?
Space Marines
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Imperial Guard
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Eldar
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Chaos Marines
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Orks
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Tau
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Necrons
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9

Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Dawn of War: Soulstorm Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not sure if anyone other than eXistence of Fly and myself will care about this game but I just found out about this new expansion for Dawn of War. :)

I never played the tabletop game so I don't know a whole lot about the lore etc behind the two new factions, Dark Eldar and Sisters of Battle (female Space Marines I guess) but they don't excite me too much from what I've seen so far. Still, I'll definitely be picking this expansion up when it's released (sometime in the first half of 2008) since they're using the same campaign mode from Dark Crusade except it'll be bigger, taking place on four planets and three moons, and they'll be introducing aircraft to the series. The interesting thing about this expansion is that Relic aren't doing the developing, or at least aren't the main company doing it, a company called Iron Lore is doing it instead. There'll be a lot of pressure on them to make it a good game I think, one because Dawn of War is already an established, successful series and also because the addition of aircraft into RTS games can be particularly risky since it can cause series balance issues.

Here's hoping for a game that will top Dark Crusade.

EDIT: Added a poll.
Camillus

6th Temple Guard Regiment "The Relentless"

68334 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I played DoW, without add-ons because ...well, my comp won't be able to move more than that. But it's good to hear they are expanding the game.

Those two new factions are interesting lore-wise but... I don't know how will they make them different from their counterparts (Eldar, Space Marines). Dark Eldar are some sort of space pirates and use hit and run tactics so i guess there will be a lot of mobile, hard-hitting but fragille units. Sisters of Battle, they aren't really very different form Space Marines, a little weaker but using some weird tools of war. For example inquisitorial stormtroopers, witch hunters, penitent engines, etc. I think they should be even more zealots than Space Marines so it would be more morale or even some units immune to morale brake. I wonder if their ulitimate unit will be throne of judgment. Oh and Sitsers Repentia should look cool if included. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing how will it look.

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Camillus wrote:
Those two new factions are interesting lore-wise but... I don't know how will they make them different from their counterparts (Eldar, Space Marines).

Well according to a Gamespot article, when the Dark Eldar kill a unit it leaves behind a "soul essence" which can be collected and functions as a third resource for the Dark Eldar. As for the Sisters of Battle, because of their heavy faith they can call on the God-Emperor to do "Acts of the Faith" which does various (magic) things. Faith is a third resource for the SoB (:P) which is generated by expending Requisition and Power.
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hope they get the balance down for this game. It's cool to play as the Necrons and Tau from Dark Crusade, but Relic has really been slow to get a good balance patch out for the game. Imperial Guard are way underpowered and Necrons are still too overpowered. Tau are overpowered, but not to the degree that the Necrons are.

It's going to be really hard to balance nine races in this new expansion. I think it's going to be fun to go against computers, but I am skeptical of the multiplayer ladder.

That being said, I think the Dark Eldar are really cool and I can't wait to play as them. I think their gameplay mechanic sounds awesome.

Quote:
Sage can save the world with a 12-inch piece of string, jar of miracle whip, and a gardening magazine, depending on the issue!

eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1156566 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Camillus wrote:
Well, I played DoW, without add-ons because ...well, my comp won't be able to move more than that. But it's good to hear they are expanding the game.

Those two new factions are interesting lore-wise but... I don't know how will they make them different from their counterparts (Eldar, Space Marines). Dark Eldar are some sort of space pirates and use hit and run tactics so i guess there will be a lot of mobile, hard-hitting but fragille units. Sisters of Battle, they aren't really very different form Space Marines, a little weaker but using some weird tools of war. For example inquisitorial stormtroopers, witch hunters, penitent engines, etc. I think they should be even more zealots than Space Marines so it would be more morale or even some units immune to morale brake. I wonder if their ulitimate unit will be throne of judgment. Oh and Sitsers Repentia should look cool if included. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing how will it look.

Haha Dark Eldar as space pirates, that's a good one. :P The Eldar as an entire race rely on deception, trickery and "hit and run" tactics (Hello, webway gates able to be built, every building shrouded and ferry 8 squads directly into an enemy base anyone? Or maybe relocating your entire base?), the Eldar caste just have a lot of specific craftworlds to fall back on for individual aspects so that they don't look it (eg the Biel-Tan Ulthwe being the main Farseer force ala Dark crusades Eldar "home ground" Taldeer of Ulthwe said the Harlequinn :P). The Eldar are looking as much for a home as to continue the war against the Chaos gods from which their own gods fought and contain the Necron threat. The Dark Eldar on the other hand, are sadistic bastards who inhabit the Commorragh (a different realm) and only cross over into the 40k universe to cause mayhem and kill shit (or capture them and take them back for mucho tea parties!).

So splice the Necrons with the Eldar and give them hybrid weaponry of the Eldar and what you see from Jabba the Hutt and you'd probably get what would be the Dark Eldar get up. As you can see personally I'm overjoyed at their inclusion, it'll be fun matching my pink and white Eldar force with my pink and black Dark Eldar. (and yes it has to have pink, comedic appeal for when people get their asses kicked by a prissy looking beast :P)

As for the Battle Sisters (Adepta Sororitas)... screw em! Only released in the late 90's to even use and these prissy little harlots want to match it with everyone else? Not bloody likely and I'm so going to end up eating these words eventually but dammit that's 3 members of the Imperium of Man now, it's a wonder that the forces of Chaos wasn't squashed ages ago with the amount of shit being pulled in their opposition. Fight the establishment! Down with slightly expensive tramps with huge guns!

Anywho, personally (and I know that this wont happen) I so want to see if you use the Orks to like ram two planets together while Gorgutz once again up and buggers off, and the only reason I hope this is because I can just imagine the dialogue...

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I guessed right on what the second new faction would be. Everyone seems fixated on getting the Tyranids released. I, for one, would rather they kept the 'nids chained up until they announce Dawn of War 2. As for lore on the two new factions. I have a few more tidbits to add to what fly has already mentioned.

The Dark Eldar do act piratical. Most of the reavers and pirates which attack and raid Imperial trade routes and worlds come from the Dark Eldar race, though some are Eldar as well. Dark Eldar's city of Commoragh is also located somewhere within the Eldar's Web Way system. These pathways and tunnels exist between the Material world and the Immaterium. The part about enemy units killed by Dark Eldar in the game leaving behind soul essences makes sense since the Dark Eldar pretty much feed on the souls of their slaves and captives.

The Adepta Sororitas is not as bad as fly would make them out to be. In game terms they're actually as hard-hitting as the Space Marines. I like the fact that they don't use psychic attacks to make up the magic part of their arsenal. The Acts of Faith, if followed just like how they're used in the tabletop game, should really hit hard and kick ass if a player is careful of how they use their units. I think people who have a tendency to send out units on suicide missions won't get the full benefit of Acts of Faith. In the tabletop game the more units having Imagifiers with them and their vehicles remain intact the more Acts of Faith can be used. The Adepta Sororitas is also the military arm of the Ordo Hereticus of the Holy Order of the Inquisition so that means they may just get access to some cool special units like Arco-Flagellants, Assassins, and Penitent Engines.

As to the factions themselves I know that the Dark Eldar will probably be the one that will take some skill to play. They shouldn't be too hard to kill since of all the factions in the tabletop game they're the ones who have the weakest armor. They're all about speed, speed and even more speed. Their weapons should be a tad more powerful than the Eldar. Those splinter rifles and dark lances should balance out their low armour rating with a higher attack profile. I'm glad that the screenshots I've seen so far shows the faction having tha Talos as one of the units. The Talos is not as fast a unit but in game terms it should make for one of the more powerful advance units of any faction in the game outside the Baneblade.

The Sisters of Battle will probably have a choice as to which super-unit they will have. I will guess it's going to come down between two choices. The Sisters of Battle can either have a Living Saint as their top super-unit or one of the Ordo Hereticus' Penitent Engines. I'm hoping it's the latter since it would make for a better image in the game. A Living Saint is pretty much just a Battle Sister imbued with powers to make her on the same level as a Greater Daemon.

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Timbo wrote:
It's cool to play as the Necrons and Tau from Dark Crusade, but Relic has really been slow to get a good balance patch out for the game.

Relic's patches are probably the most disappointing thing about the Dawn of War series. They take forever to actually release them and when they do they tend to be pieces of shit anyway.

Timbo wrote:
Tau are overpowered, but not to the degree that the Necrons are.

Overpowered perhaps, but they make the most satisfying blood splatters when my Space Marines mow them down. :D I'm more about Campaign mode and Skirmishes anyway so multiplayer and multiplayer balance issues doesn't factor into it too much for me.

Six way tie on the poll at the moment. Tau don't get no love. :P
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

7 way.

I play Dark Eldar IRL, so this is good news for me.

Solemn Sound

330634 Potch
100 Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

oh really? I have yet to see someone play as the Dark Eldar army IRL. I play Space Wolves myself.

I have always like the Tau and how well they work together and run themselves. pretty neat

Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hawk Thanatos wrote:
Six way tie on the poll at the moment. Tau don't get no love. :P

Tau are a bunch of mech-loving pansies. Where do they think they are Gundam? Macross?

Tau is just too shooty for my taste. They're great at keeping the opponent at long-range, but the moment the opponent's melee units get in cose they're pretty much useless.

Just like the tabletop game it's pretty much outmanuevering the Tau to get your close combat people in the mix. I always laugh seeing non-Tau players try to slug it out with Tau players with long-range fire. Recipe for disaster. One tactic I've used many times and never been countered despite it being so simple was to rush the center of the Tau lines with my tanks and heavy armor units while sneaking around the flanks with my assault and melee units. Most of the time at least half of my armor will make it through and my opponent will concentrate too much on taking the rest out to the point they forget to cover his flanks.

The armor spearhead gets easier when using a Baneblade to anchor it. That Mega Battle-Cannon sure makes a lot of things go kablooie.

Jinx wrote:
oh really? I have yet to see someone play as the Dark Eldar army IRL. I play Space Wolves myself.

My brother also uses the Space Wolves. I prefer the Dark Angels myself in addition to Cadia w/ Grey Knight support. I wouldn't discount players who do play Dark Eldar since they've probably mastered that race's advantages while minimizing the drawbacks. I've seen official tournaments where a Dark Eldar player pretty much wiped out large-sized Ork, IG and Space Marine armies. Being able to wield large amounts of dark lances pretty much nullifies any opposing armies heavy armor advantage.

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
Tau is just too shooty for my taste. They're great at keeping the opponent at long-range, but the moment the opponent's melee units get in cose they're pretty much useless.

Nothing like deep striking a squad of Assault Terminators into some Tau. :D Or hell, just sending a full squad with a Force Commander attached to systematically destroy the Tau's armies. What's funny is that when I first started playing the original Dawn of War I thought the Space Marines' melee units were useless, now I always have some Grey Knights and Assault Terminators (I still maintain that Assault Marines are crap though).

Still, the main reason I like the Space Marines is because it's just awesome to plant a bunch of SM squads and some Terminators, equip them with Heavy Bolters/Plasma Guns/Assault Canons and just watch them slaughter everything that attacks. :twisted:
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Assault Marines have to be used properly. I think players see the Assault Marines as some sort of shock troop that will destroy all in their path. Assault Space Marines should always be used to either scout ahead to see if there's enemy turrets and defenses already built or quickly capture check points. But again like the armor spearhead distraction, these assault jump-packing Marines should be used while the opponent is concentrating on the bulk of your army. I've had people tell me they totally forgot about the squads of Assault Marines because they were so worried about trying to take out the pair of Land Raider, Predators, Terminators and Dreadnaught that was bearing down on his center.

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wait, wait... you mean that I'm actually supposed to be USING the fire warriors? I just put a bunch of Kroot and a Greater Gnarlox up front and hammerheads and Crisis teams in back. Good luck getting close enough to those to do close combat damage.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As much as some Tau players live by the Kroots and Gnarlox as something great I've never been too worried about them. I've taken out whole packs with a Baneblade and two Leman Russ tanks in addition to a Basilisk providing fire support from the back. If there's ever an overpowered unit it's the Baneblade. It's not indestructible but the amount of firepower it seems to draw to try and take it out distracts most players from the smaller, faster units that's about to hit them at the sides. I've seen a Chaos Marine player actually send out his Bloodthirster and Defiler in addition to his Berserkers to try and tek it out. They sure took it out but wasted his Berserkers and Defiler and had his Bloodthirster vulnerable to being taken out with just normal units.

The Tau in DoW is pretty much how they are in the table top game. A lot of shooty units and fancy long-range weaponry with token close-combat Kroot units. Any good player should be able to counter the Kroots and take advantage of the Tau's lack of melee units. I think this is why Space Marines are favored by many. They're the most balanced faction. Now, if they can just add armor customization to the game. Space Marines should be able to change the look of their armor depending on the Chapter. I play Dark Angel on DoW but I miss seeing the hooded robes on the veteran sergeants and commanders.

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
As much as some Tau players live by the Kroots and Gnarlox as something great I've never been too worried about them. I've taken out whole packs with a Baneblade and two Leman Russ tanks in addition to a Basilisk providing fire support from the back. If there's ever an overpowered unit it's the Baneblade. It's not indestructible but the amount of firepower it seems to draw to try and take it out distracts most players from the smaller, faster units that's about to hit them at the sides. I've seen a Chaos Marine player actually send out his Bloodthirster and Defiler in addition to his Berserkers to try and tek it out. They sure took it out but wasted his Berserkers and Defiler and had his Bloodthirster vulnerable to being taken out with just normal units.

Yeah, but it is really the only thing Imperial Guard has going for them and your lucky to ever get to that point in a multiplayer game.

Imperial Guard strategy is to turtle up until the Baneblade comes out and that plays really badly in a game where you need to play aggressively. With weak normal units, a super cost-ineffective hero and a total lack of good infantry till tier 3 (and then you can only have one of each), i think they have to have something.

Quote:

Sage can save the world with a 12-inch piece of string, jar of miracle whip, and a gardening magazine, depending on the issue!

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: