Suikoden Uncouth and Irrational Karma Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Dumbledore Is Homosexual
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I read this yesterday. It doesn't matter to me, though I'm sure that the yaoi fangirls will completely destroy Dumbledore's character with stupid pairings. I don't read stuff like that though, so it doesn't matter to me.
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Before this keeps being brought up, I made a point in the origin post of this thread to say that Rowling made this remark in response to a question. It wasn't like she called together a group of journalists and told them that he is... really... gay. She was responding to a question posed to her about Dumbledore and giving her answer more than a simple yes or no. Some of the replies don't convey that that particular point was understood.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, I'm aware it was a question.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shrew wrote:
And all the slash fans go wild.

that and in the same Q&A session she says Hagrid never finds a true love.

anway I'm amused at this, mainly only because
1) its the old headmaster guy
2) slash makes me laugh when it goes bad/crazy
3) its cannon now and bad scary things can come out of it
4) seems like it was completly random to make him gay, and that in random character creation.

I don't know how this could effect my intrest in the story or the characters, but watching Lord of thw Rings with my relitives makes for lots of slash jokes, so it might go that way.

I've seen other topics from other forums on this, some don't care, some say it will result in more bookburning, some say she did it for the popular train, or to "be edgy and contraversal", its not like he makes out with Snape or anyone, he has a phoenix and not a fluffy poodle, Dumbledoor dosen't hang a rainbow flag in his room or shout some "gay fashion queen slogans", or something about sterotypes was broung up.

as for parents now banning it because of this, again, its not like Anne Rice vampires or any internet slash(wich of course the 'kids' are writing and the want to protect them aginst)

But yeh, totaly unexpected.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't see how parents will no longer let their children read Harry Potter because it is never mentioned and hardly hinted upon at all in the actual books.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hayashi Ujitsuna wrote:
I don't see how parents will no longer let their children read Harry Potter because it is never mentioned and hardly hinted upon at all in the actual books.

Because parents are quite often irrational idiots.

This really doesn't affect the books that much. It adds a bit of depth to his relationship with Grindelwald and Harry (being the child he could never have) but other than that, it doesn't change a thing.
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1156566 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hayashi Ujitsuna wrote:

In societies around the world contemplate just how much homosexual people are accepted, considering that before this was merely speculation without evidence, giving evidence really just adds fuel to the fire of what complaints could be had (such as the afore mentioned "oh it's witchcraft!" now adds on the whole "oh it promotes gay rights as well") argument. Parents, for the most part, don't form their own opinions when it comes to that which their child reads or does (especially in the case of new items) so if there is any outburst by organisations it'd turn into a much bigger issue than it actually is.

Rebel of Babylon

1133304 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

kuwaizair wrote:
3) its cannon now and bad scary things can come out of it

Well, it really depends on how you define canon. If it's in the books themselves, it's indisputable, but if it's something which isn't in print and will never be in print, then it's just the views of the writer and is not official.

Likening it to a TV show, what is canon is what you see on the screen, whereas all of the notes given in the script which don't make it into the final product, or scenes which have been deleted (and not included on a director's cut) are not canon since they don't "really" happen. If they did, they would have been included.

As for the Dumbledore thing, it really depends on who cares about it and if they make a big deal out of it or not. I'm sure there will be idiots who will cite page numbers from the Philosopher's Stone where Dumbledore was alone with Harry and patted his hand while he was in bed recuperating from the altercation with Quirrel/Voldemort, combined with quotations from Deathly Hallows and spout some nonsense about how Dumbledore and Harry were secretly involved. For those types, I can just refer them to William Shatner's infamous phrase from his Saturday Night Live skit so many years ago...

If you know what I'm talking about, you'll understand. If not, look it up.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gay or not, I really didn't need to know that Dumbledore was getting freaky with anyone.

Goddammit, Rowling.
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1133304 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree. Sometimes there really is too much information.

Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Well, it really depends on how you define canon. If it's in the books themselves, it's indisputable, but if it's something which isn't in print and will never be in print, then it's just the views of the writer and is not official.

I disagree with this, as it's like saying, things Konami have said about Suikoverse, but never appeared in the games or books isn't official stuff. Really it seems a bit silly not to take the word of the creator as official. Just because it didn't appear in the actual book.

Anyways, I could see the Catholic Church ( I think that's who it was) using this along the the Witchcraft angle to completely ban the book if it wasn't already before.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Catholic Church rarely (if ever) busts out the witchcraft stuff in this day and age. That's more a bible belt thing, and they had their fill back when the Sorcerer's Stone was released.
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1133304 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Milan Fiori wrote:
I disagree with this, as it's like saying, things Konami have said about Suikoverse, but never appeared in the games or books isn't official stuff.

Well, I don't really see how it is any different than Konami giving you choices in the Suikoden games, only there are "official" choices which are recognized as the true choices and then there are other choices which lead to the "unofficial" endings. So, in that case, Konami doesn't even consider everything in their product to be "official." If the names Tir, Riou, etc. were official, why would they not include them in the first place, instead of forcing the player to provide the name? The answer, of course, is they were created after the fact for novelization purposes.

It's also personal preference in many cases. If I'm reading a book series, I don't give a damn what an author says in response to questions after the fact. What is in the book is what is in the book and that is the story. Unless you're George Lucas, of course.

I've encountered people online who really believe that, in the Star Trek universe, Q is responsible for the events leading to the emergence of the human race, simply because of what happens in one of the books based off of the series. If one were to take the books as being canon, then the clone of Kahless who appeared on Next Generation really wasn't a clone of Kahless as, in the book, the blood on the dagger was really that of Morath.

As far as the Suikoden material is concerned. Only the games are localized so I, personally, don't even think of them since there's no way I would be able to acquire them let alone understand them. I'm not saying they're not official, but they don't have any bearing on the game play so they're more like supplemental material.

Earthquake923

SB90's Mechanized Monsters

179201 Potch
0 Soldiers
778121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

As far as the Suikoden material is concerned. Only the games are localized so I, personally, don't even think of them since there's no way I would be able to acquire them let alone understand them. I'm not saying they're not official, but they don't have any bearing on the game play so they're more like supplemental material

I agree. Look what happened in 3. The guy working on the project was left, and someone else had to pick it up. So whoose words are correct, the guy who nolonger works on the project or the guy that currently works on it?
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hayashi Ujitsuna wrote:

Eh, I know if I were a kid right now and my mom found out about this she'd never let me read them. She's a good devout Christian and as such has a seething hatred for all things of this nature. They drag me along to church whenever I go home to visit, and I remember this past time the preacher was telling a story about some guy who would keep asking forgiveness and then repeating his sin or something and he posed the question: "Does this make him any better than the murderers, rapists, and homosexuals in the world?" Lovely comparison there. If Dumbledore likes men he also probably urinates on crosses and murders newborns before they can be baptized.

Most of us are sane enough we can barely comprehend how parents could ban the books just because a character's gay, but you look back a generation and the feeling's pretty strong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: