Suikoden Uncouth and Irenic Karma Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Gamers Now Considered Top Spy Material

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Gamers Now Considered Top Spy Material Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Why video gamers make the best spies

I saw this article title while at work and I just had to laugh a bit. Do gamers really make the best spies? At first I thought maybe the British Intelligence services had gotten their MI6 mixed up with their Splinter Cell: Double Agent. Maybe they thought Sam Fisher was a real flesh-and-blood spy. But as I read through the article it made a bit more sense.

The British Intelligence services look at gamers as being more tech-savvy and some with heavy experience in software creation, management and usage. While the article seems to imply that the British Intelligence services are advertising inside of video games to recruit the next field operative they really are looking for those tech-savvy gamers who can run their surveillance and signal operations. This means sitting in front of computer screens, shifting through countless and countless of intelligence data gathered by field operatives and satellites then processing them for analysts. The job makes for less of the kill in 1,001 ways type spying and more towards typing and reading those 1,001 ways to kill.

If gamers here were offered the chance to join their country's intelligence agency. The CIA for us Americans, the MI5-MI6 for our cousins across the pond and other acronymed secret government organizations across the globe would gamers given the offer take up the job. I already know of one person here who pretty much does what the British Intelligence group is thinking of doing with gamers.

I, for one, wouldn't mind taking up such an offer if I was offered it. I already sit down in front of my computer at work looking through data. I might as well get paid while shifting through intelligence and data on things I already do for free when I'm bored.

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd be such a great spy.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The sad thing is.. I could see a Disgaea like spy, running around corners going nah nah nah nah..

Though this makes sense alot. You see alot of movies now a days, that use hackers and gamers as the computer experts and stuff. Heck Transformers had the computer expert DDR and stuff before the FBI broke in on them!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
HarmonianHiccup

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This doesn't surprise me at all, actually.
Studies have shown that people who have played video games on a regular basis tend to be more observant of their surroundings when compared to people who have not. They will remember details from things they have only glimpsed as well as remembering general features.
It seem to me that they would also be more resourceful and ingenious in utlizing their environments, as well as comprehending complex problems and solving them quickly.

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Demon Eyes Kyo

Crimson Crusaders

260069 Potch
250 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hah, I guess that's true, the part about remembering things by looking at them. In my English Honors class, I NEVER study for the vocabulary tests and I just look at the list a few times and I got most of it down. Today I got a 32/40, not my best one but still pretty good for not even studying. :P

Return that soul to God.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd snap up almost any government job in a second, especially working for the CIA, it's pretty much a fantasy of mine.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2327939 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This doesn't come to a surprise to me at all as I've heard some troops already use video games to train their men at various skills that can be useful on the field. The same skills can be applied to people in Intelligence agency etc.
Bummer that the general public still doesn't generally find video games as "educative"/useful for training certain skills etc.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1156566 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

HarmonianHiccup wrote:
Studies have shown that people who have played video games on a regular basis tend to be more observant of their surroundings when compared to people who have not. They will remember details from things they have only glimpsed as well as remembering general features.
It seem to me that they would also be more resourceful and ingenious in utlizing their environments, as well as comprehending complex problems and solving them quickly.

Ultimately I think it depends also on the type of game and not just gamers as a whole group though, since usually when you see such studies to provide a uniform view of the group the games are usually those who provide levels of interaction and "cause and effect" instead of being like cooking mama or guitar hero for instance. :P

As for the whole pathway into the intelligence agencies of the world. Sure why the hell not, while gov jobs rarely pay well (in actual "cash in hand") their perks are pretty freakin fantastic and I could so use the free healthcare. :P So I would go for it, like Tull I would rather get paid for a heavier load of what I already do in my free time so it's no biggie for me.

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As far as I know, Fly, the study was done over a population of gamers as a whole, rather than one that played one specific type. Of course, there're going to be some types of games that will be better for preparing a person for a career in a field such as this, but it appears that any interaction (even of the kind in Cooking Mama and Guitar Hero!) that requires the player to react quickly to a stressful situation and follow instructions precisely makes him or her more likely to react to their outside world in the same fashion. This could definitely be an asset as far as the Intelligence field is concerned!

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's an interesting suggestion. Hell I think I'd be pretty good at it. :roll:
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

HarmonianHiccup wrote:

hhahahaha not me, sometimes I think I went trough a door when I didn't.
I can get easily lost in some games so, yup. no observance skills for me.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Seraphblade

imaginary soldiers

935122 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's interesting. I'm always collecting massive amounts of data, but the data I work with interests me. The type of work the government would give, if I were a their data analyst, would probably bore me to death.
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1156566 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

HarmonianHiccup wrote:
As far as I know, Fly, the study was done over a population of gamers as a whole, rather than one that played one specific type. Of course, there're going to be some types of games that will be better for preparing a person for a career in a field such as this, but it appears that any interaction (even of the kind in Cooking Mama and Guitar Hero!) that requires the player to react quickly to a stressful situation and follow instructions precisely makes him or her more likely to react to their outside world in the same fashion. This could definitely be an asset as far as the Intelligence field is concerned!

For the most part I know how studies are conducted since I've conducted and taken part in a few myself, the point I was attempting to put across was that while it could be stated that gamers as a general populace would make better acquisitions for specific purposes (in this case "spy work") it would be a bad sample considering the "levels" of gaming among gamers. So that those who play the "niche" games like Cooking Mama or Guitar Hero most probably won't have the same output in the study as those who (only for instance) compete in the world cybergames. Yet, both categories are gamers.

I'm not disputing that those games don't give anything for the gamer outside of the enjoyment, as Guitar Hero actually has timing and hand-eye co-ordination aspects to name just 2 of them. But I think that stating gamers as a whole based on a small populace of which some might be niche, some might be "yay pong!" and others might be the cybergames is a bad sample for such a thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: