Suikoden United and Inspirational Kraalesque Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Dalai Lama gets Congressional Medal, Chinese government gets angry
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:14 am    Post subject: Dalai Lama gets Congressional Medal, Chinese government gets Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/world/story.html?id=dcf16e21-ba e3-4d7d-9042-511083668a55

The title pretty much says it all. The Dalai Lama revieced the Congressional Medal of Honor from Presdient George W. Bush, which is the highest honor to bestow on a non-American. This has, however, obviously angered the Chinese government, who sees the Dalai Lama as a separatist. Any predictions on future US-China relations tensions?

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1156566 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

China already said that the meeting itself would sour relations between the two countries, so if that was more than just an attempted political push (aka we'll send you nasty letters telling you how mad we are but other than that, we won't do dick) this would further sour relations, and since relations between US & Russia are being strained also this could (extremely small chance) actually have a tangible bearing.

I however doubt it, we'll probably hear how more upset they are, Bush will say something stupid and the world will continue turning as it has.

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Dalai Lama gets Congressional Medal, Chinese government Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Starslasher wrote:
The title pretty much says it all. The Dalai Lama revieced the Congressional Medal of Honor from Presdient George W. Bush, which is the highest honor to bestow on a non-American.

I think it was actually the Congressional Gold Medal. Anyway I can't see this affecting relations between China and the US all that much, after all it's just another drop in the bucket.
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I swear Yahoo is the worst news source in the universe. Their headline when I checked my email this morning was something to the effect of "The Dalai Lama - a complete failure or just not that important?" Any time something of remote interest happens they misconstrue the headline to make it sound like they have some detail the rest of the news doesn't, then proceed to write a really half assed article on it. I remember once they had something like "Bush discusses possible resignation as president" and the whole article was just on how someone asked him if he was going to resign and he said "no".

Anyway that didn't have much to do with the contents of this news story, just the story itself. As for the Dalai Lama, it's a subject that would require a good bit of research on my end before I could form a sound opinion of it. If this is coming from the President though he had to have seen some benefit for agitating China a bit, because I can't see any other apparent motive. Like I said though, I don't know much about the Dalai Lama. Maybe his sphere of influence is a lot greater than I imagine.
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1156566 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shad wrote:
Like I said though, I don't know much about the Dalai Lama. Maybe his sphere of influence is a lot greater than I imagine.

Quote:
28th October 1991, US Congress under a Foreign Authorisation Act passed the resolution wherein they recognised "Tibet, including those areas incorporated into the Chinese provinces of Sichuan, Yunnan, Gansu and Qinghai, AN OCCUPIED COUNTRY under the established principal of international law". The resolution further stated that Tibet's true representative are the Dalai Lama and the Tibetan Government in exile as recognised by the Tibetan people.

Pretty much for all intents and purposes he is the leader of Tibet who wants Tibet to remain / become (depending on viewpoint) independent of China while China has always viewed that Tibet is apart of China. He's well known in international circles as a spiritual representative as well as a representative for Tibet so his words carry a lot of weight in the international community, and is what I think a prime reason why China just hasn't tried to use military might. Needless to say that there was an action in China somewhat recently (20th September this year) where China detained children on the claims of spreading pro Tibet propaganda, depending on what paper you read one of the kids was supposedly beaten and bleeding profusely before they were all ushered out of the public.

So it's a rather tight spot, especially considering the call for China to also intervene with Burma, so I can see why in a sense the Dalai Lama is using this time to make some noise. China don;t want to risk any military action so close to hosting the Olympics.

And yes, Yahoo news is shit. :P

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Any predictions on future US-China relations tensions?

Stormy as always, but I think this one will take a longer time to quell than most of the other conflicts. It's no secret that China will stop at close to nothing to get Tibet, and having the President of the United States award the Dalai Lama with such an high honor must have caused the Chinese government to bristle worse than a hissing cat.
To understand why I think this one is bigger than the others, you have to know that China has spent a lot of money and effort to obtain Tibet, and the Dalai Lama is one of the main reasons why they're still failing despite drastic attempts to shut up people who maintain that Tibet is free and also attempts to convert Tibetans to Chinese culture. Heck, a few articles I've read showed Tibetans being jailed for years and whipped just for making peaceful protests, and I don't think it's ever going to stop until either Tibet is theirs or other countries step in.

That being said, I don't think they cared so much about the award so much as him receiving even more recognition than before. The more he gets, the harder their efforts.

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would overall agree with Hawkthanatos. Sure, the Chinese government is mad now, but i doubt that they'll stay mad for long. But they might bring it up when it becomes convenient for them. I'm not sure when it would be, but i'm sure that they won't try something drastic to upset its realtions with the US, at least not at this point.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dragonstar13

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think this might make things harder between the U.S and China, but I think they'll try to work something out.

I saw on the news here, there were some people protesting at the Great wall. I think 3 of them were Canadian, and some of them were American. They held out a banner saying "Free Tibet". They got throw into jail, but were eventually sent back home. I was actually surprised they were let back home.

Uttuku

441117 Potch
200 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The US has always found ways to crawl out of the toughest spots but this time they have a big boulder named China in front of them and I doubt that China will forgive the Americans. This is because the Dalai Lama has been a thorn in their side ever since he went into exile and having the US now encouraging him this does not help lessen tension between the US and China.
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Chinese will cry about it for a while and then get over it. As it was mentioned earlier, they've got the Olympics coming up and they know it's a huge deal. That's how they're being forced to intervene in Darfur, and for that reason, they're not going to screw anybody over at the moment, especially not The US (Which holds most of the major broadcasting contracts for the Olympics.)

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What does a Buddhist monk want with a gold medal anyway?
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Humorously, the Chinese called the Dalai Lama a politician under the guise of a holy man. It's what the British said about Mahatma Gandhi.

As almost everyone knows, I hate the People's Republic. Who gives a shit about what they say? I love little things like this-- Victims of Communism Memorial here, Congressional Gold Medal there.
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
What does a Buddhist monk want with a gold medal anyway?

The Dalai Lama has quite a lot of wealth actually, Ujitsuna. And he seems to enjoy it, too. I don't think an honorary gold medal would be difficult for him to appreciate.

And he's more of a lifestyle guru than a monk anyway. Which is partly why he is not really held in high regard in most predominantly Buddhist countries. Only the western world seems to be in love with this ousted monarch. I'm sure he is a wise and kind man, but it sometimes gets laughable how enormous the misconceptions about him are among some westerners. Some think he is some sort of "Buddhist Pope", even though he is only the head of a small and relatively obscure sect of Buddhism. Thinking of him as the leader of the Buddhist world is like calling the president of the Mormon church the leader of Christianity.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mormons would consider their President the leader Christianity proper. That's all that matters.

The idea of one leader for an entire faith-based system is fictitious.
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's amusing to watch China act nice with the Olympics coming up. Taiwan recently made (another) bid to become recognized as an independant nation to the UN, I believe. Plus all of the stuff America has been doing with Tibet and the communism memorial. And let's not forget China's very shoddy food safety reputation, as well as it's horrible cheap manufactured goods reputation. China is even reducing the number of executions because of the Olympics.

After the Olympics the shits gonna hit the fan. I wonder how though. More force against seperatists in Tibet, more military pressure against nearly-defenseless Taiwan, economic moves against the US...? Taiwan's days appear to be numbered. I predict it will become a part of China again within my lifetime. Maybe the next decade even.

But seriously the US needs to wisen up to how powerful China is becoming, especially considering how more and more nations are making closer ties with it and becoming more seperate from US influence. During the Cold War it was Russia and the US...now it's becoming China and the US.

^Actual quote!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: