Suikoden United and Illegal Knowledge Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Stephen Colbert Announce Presidential Bid
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Stephen Colbert Announce Presidential Bid Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In what could be a satirical stunt that may just end up surprising everyone involved in the Presidential race, the one and only Stephen Colbert has announced that he will be tossing his hat into the Presidental Race.

Quote:
Colbert Announces Presidential Pursuit

By JAKE COYLE, AP Entertainment Writer

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

(10-17) 05:43 PDT NEW YORK, (AP) --

Stephen Colbert has announced his candidacy for president on "The Colbert Report," tossing his satirical hat into the ring of an already crowded race.

"I shall seek the office of the president of the United States," Colbert said Tuesday on his Comedy Central show as red, white and blue balloons fell around him.

Colbert, 43, had recently satirized the coyness of would-be presidential candidates by refusing to disclose whether he would seek the country's highest office — a refusal that often came without any prompting.

Shortly before making the announcement, Colbert appeared on "The Daily Show" (the show that spawned Colbert's spin-off) and played cagey, claiming he was only ready to consider a White House bid. He entered the studio set pulled by a bicycle pedaled by Uncle Sam and quickly pulled out a bale of hay and a bottle of beer to show that he was "an Average Joe."

Colbert said his final decision would be announced on a "more prestigious show," which turned out to be his own.

"After nearly 15 minutes of soul-searching, I have heard the call," said Colbert.

His recent best-seller, "I Am America (And So Can You!)," allowed him to mock the now-standard approach to a White House run, complete with a high-profile book tour.

Colbert said he planned to run in South Carolina, "and South Carolina alone." The state, one of the key early primaries, is also Colbert's native state. Earlier this week, South Carolina public television station ETV invited Colbert to announce his candidacy on its air.

Exactly how far the mock conservative pundit planned to stretch his impression of a presidential candidate wasn't clear. Colbert rarely breaks character on camera, including at his memorable speech at the White House Correspondents' Association Dinner last year.

The Comedy Central host has often mobilized his fans ("Colbert Nation"), encouraging them to vote to have a Hungarian bridge named after him, for example, or to vandalize Web site Wikipedia.com with his version of "truthiness" and "wikiality."

Colbert said he would run as both a Democrat and Republican. He earlier explained the strategy: "I can lose twice." He claimed three running mate possibilities: Colbert-Huckabee, Colbert-Putin or Colbert-Colbert.

Minutes after announcing his presidential pursuit, Colbert welcomed CBS political analyst Jeff Greenfield to ask how he had changed the race.

"This is going to be one for the books," said Greenfield.

A spokesman for Colbert said he would be unavailable for further comment Tuesday evening.

In a guest column for Maureen Dowd in Sunday's New York Times, Colbert wrote: "I am not ready to announce yet — even though it's clear that the voters are desperate for a white, male, middle-aged, Jesus-trumpeting alternative."

Will this energize the Republican or Democratic parties in regards to getting more young voters interested in voting. It's not far-fetched to see some people who are die-hard Republicans who actually think Colbert's rant make sense.

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wait... he can DO that? Awesome.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Anyone can announce and run for President. I think you just have to fill some sort of paperwork with the Registrar Office. I'm wondering if some votes that could go to either part nominee come next year will actually end up being cast for Colbert.

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Indeed, which wouldnt be good since they'd likely be voting for the president we need the most.

155169 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Stephen Colbert Announce Presidential Bid Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
Will this energize the Republican or Democratic parties in regards to getting more young voters interested in voting. It's not far-fetched to see some people who are die-hard Republicans who actually think Colbert's rant make sense.

That's an interesting question. While I'm pretty sure that in the long run this is just going to be a publicity stunt (albeit a hilarious one), what gives Colbert the advantage over the other candidates is that he has a daily opportunity to voice his opinions and positions on various issues - and he doesn't have to pay for it. Anyone who might not grasp the concept that his character is satire might very well want to cast a ballot for him. I also like the part where he says that he is running as both a Democrat and a Republican, echoing the complaints of third-party supporters who decry there not being any practical differences between the two. Colbert may just be the SMARTEST person running, at least when it comes to real life absurdities of politics.

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
Anyone can announce and run for President. I think you just have to fill some sort of paperwork with the Registrar Office. I'm wondering if some votes that could go to either part nominee come next year will actually end up being cast for Colbert.

You do have to get a certain amount of signatures and votes in primaries before you can legitimately run for President, to the best of my knowledge. Throwing out a guesstimate, I think it has to be around 100,000?

I'm not entirely sure of that, however.

Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm guessing if he was really serious about this run, even if it was a gimmick one, a 100,000 signatories will be easy for him to get. Hell, if he has a fan club he could just ask them to be that 100,000.

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's a joke, but only if he loses.
Bub

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh yeah. It won't be a problem for him at all. I was just talking about any "Joe Schmo" that plans on running for President.

Furthermore, you have had to have been born in the United States, correct?
I think you have to be older than 35 as well. Maybe I am just pulling that last one out of my ass.

Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

True, there's more to running for President than just signing up but it seems to be easier than people realize. The one sticking point is always does one have enough money to run for President.

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yup, Don't forget though it's only in South Carolina which basically means there is no way for him to become either parties front runner...

But wouldn't it be quite the show if by some huge mistake he ends up the candidate in both parties? Impossible but ^^ It'd be funny.

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The way the internet has become so integral to all the candidates' strategy to get the nomination and to get themselves a bit more exposure (not to mention make themselves look more "hip" to the young voters), I wonder if some candidates from both parties will acknowledge Colvert's announcement to run. By rule, if someone runs for President and has an outlet to express themselves on TV the other candidates must be given equal time as well. I can see future Colbert shows now with him interviewing such candidates as Giuliani, Romney, Obama, Clinton...maybe even Huckabee and Kucinich.

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Colbert has already given small interviews to Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When I saw his "announcement" on The Daily Show, I wasn't exactly sure what to make of it-- so I had to stay tuned to see what he would say on that more prestigious show (which I knew would be his own). I still wasn't quite sure what to make of it when I saw the big "I'M DOING IT" letters flashing all over the screen, and red white and blue balloons flying everywhere. Somewhere between laughing hysterically, shock, and approval.

Tullaryx wrote:
I can see future Colbert shows now with him interviewing such candidates as Giuliani, Romney, Obama, Clinton...maybe even Huckabee and Kucinich.

Oh my god. That's probably why he's doing this. XD Can you imagine how great it would be to see Clinton on Colbert's show? Or Romney? Or Obama? That would just be full of epic.

In other news, I definitely vote for him in a general election-- but that ain't gunna happen. ;) It's a very hilarious stunt-- but I'm sure he doesn't expect it to be anything more than a stunt. I'm sure Colbert/Stewart 2008 merchandise are hot commodities right now-- perhaps even more so than Colbert/Colbert, or Colbert/Putin.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I read about it a few days ago. Granted, it's most likely a joke. But it's definitely fits his character. Would i vote for him? Perhaps not. Don't get me wrong, i love his show, and his character. But he's just not president material. This is probably going to be a long-running gag, like his broken wrist and raising wrist awareness in America.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: