Suikoden Uncanny and Informational Keystone Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Which Castle/Homebase was your favorite?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What's your favorite Homebase?
Suikoden 1
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Suikoden 2
64%
 64%  [ 40 ]
Suikoden 3
11%
 11%  [ 7 ]
Suikoden 4
8%
 8%  [ 5 ]
Suikoden 5
9%
 9%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 62

Ryu

The Sunwall Army

83872 Potch
100 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Which Castle/Homebase was your favorite? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm sorry if this topic already exists but i couldn't find it.

1) Which Homebase was your favorite/least favorite and why.

I personally liked the castle from suikoden 2 because it felt like a real castle, and i loved seeing it built up as i got more characters. The one i hated most (aside from suikoden 4, which i hate everything about that game) is suikoden 3's castle. S3 castle was just to boring, nothing happened to it as more people came. and Why the how the heck does someone crash a boat like that is beyond me.

2) If you could make your own suikoden castle what would it look like (or how would it work)?

Again if i could make my much like suikoden 2.

"If you beat a dead horse vigorously enough, it's constant twitching and juttering will at least give an assembulence of activity." ~Yahtzee, from The Escapist:Zero Punctuation
Onimaru

Perverted Old Men

3407 Potch
954 Soldiers
86 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1) Suikoden II's castle was far and away the best of the castles, it had great atmosphere and a rich history to boot. A ruined old abandoned castle becomes the temporary home of the beloved hero and his motly band of renegades, ahhh, such a badass story. The best quality of Suikoden II's castle was that the people moved around, and there were scenes that played out there, it felt like these 2-D sprites were actually living there. It made me WANT to run around and talk to EVERYONE between and after events to see what they have to say, such a great game and such a great lively castle to boot. Suikoden I's castle was confusing how they kept building new areas on it that looked like they were created from the natural rock, not that I minded, it was a great game. Suikoden III's was closer to the mark of Suikoden II's but the whole trinity sight system kept the place from feeling united, SIV was stupid, and SV's was too clean...f that.

2) I would make them build the castle from scratch. Perhaps they could start with a rough frame-work, but I want to see them construct a castle or at least the rough start of one - like a roughshod wood and mottle fort to start with, but after a series of successes and recruited characters they begin hauling in stone form the riverbank to fortify, and then finally knocking down old structures entirely and rebuilding with better materials. This would be a great castle and it would feel like not only the place was growing and alive, but that recruited 108 Stars of Destiny made an impact on the game other than getting you a snazzy ending.

Oh, and I love it when there's a town surrounding the castle - s2 kind of had this, and so did s3, but the castle doesn't need to cram everything into it in my opinion, a small town beyond the gates would be a great place to put shops, they don't need to be directly on hand because it's convenient. The idea is to sit back and savor the game, and enjoy what you're playing, not to rush through it and ignore the roses, so to speak.

I hate you Onimaru.
Lonelion

Lonelion's Naval Fleet.

4727 Potch
106 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden 2 had an awesome place,once Viktor's old hometown had Neclord chased out of there and the graves relocated to the basement area,the castle served really well as the army headquarters .

http://www.myspace.com/lonelion7769
http://www.duefiumi.com
http://z6.invisionfree.com/suikocross
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Andarc

Lightning halberd

154551 Potch
143 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden IV's, it was very original, and something about that ship made it very interesting to explore.

320868 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Andarc wrote:
Suikoden IV's, it was very original, and something about that ship made it very interesting to explore.

I liked this one, too. I also thought Suikoden III's concept of an entire town as your homebase was pretty interesting. And yes, I realize my opinion may be unpopular. ;) Keep in mind I've never had the privilege of seeing Suikoden II's.

As for future castles, as long as it's not as complicated to navigate as Suikoden V's, I should be OK with it. Maybe a real classic-styled castle, moat, drawbridge and all, would be cool.
Lord Rengo

The Magus' Army

33445 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1) Suikoden II definately. It was large. It was pretty. It was everything you wanted in a castle. The castle was situated on the huge lake so it is connected to the rest of the the City States (with the exception of the isolated sections, Matilda and Tinto). I occassionally took the long way to places just because I wanted to visit some place. Everything actually made sense. It also wasn't some random Sindar ruin... or in the middle of a lake.

Suikoden V's castle was my next favorite. It just looked flashy and was occassionally interesting to explore. I didn't like it being in a lake... that's been done before.

Suikoden I's was nice. I loved it the first time I played the game. However, once I played Suikoden II, I found it to be lacking.

Suikoden IV's wasn't bad. It was unique, and it traveled with you. I think if people enjoyed the game more, this would be ranked better for some people. Personally, I loved the game my second time through (I played it a second time because the first time I stopped at the end because I hated the game and didn't want to spend time collecting the stars. I started over because I wanted the hero in Suikoden Tactics and I can say I'm glad I did... the game was very good if you're going in thinking it will suck!)

Suikoden III's sucked royally. I was hoping that the holes in the castle would disappear as stars joined. Nope.

2) I would like a castle they let you design. Of course, this is mostly just me hoping, I don't ever expect for anything like this to happen.

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

much as i like the sindar castle, the one in suikoden II takes it. like Onimaru said had better atmosphere and history, had a nice lake view. the shops were the best as they actually had houses, a cool room for the hero, even the cooking area.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm going to bypass question 2 for the time being and maybe get back to it when I feel like writing something extensive. For now, here's my ranking of the Suikoden castles:

1. Suikoden II
2. Suikoden V
3. Suikoden I and IV
5. Suikoden Tactics wait it didn't have one
6. Suikoden III

Suikoden 3 had the worst castle imaginable, and it really ruined the whole game for me. 1, 2, 4, and 5 all had pretty sweet ones, with 2 being decidedly my favorite and 1, 4, and 5 all being an approximate tie.

What really made 2 superior to all the others was the character interaction within it. Every star had at least three or four different places that they'd hang out in and a wide variety of people you'd see them around, giving the castle an awesome 'living' feel to it. Where in S3 everyone stood stagnant for eternity, in S2 you felt like you were really in a living breathing interactive place. S5 did a decent job of repeating this, though not quite as well, and the castle itself wasn't as pretty. S1 and S4 were awesome in concept because of that feeling of power and awesomeness derived from being only accessible by water.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. Suikoden II
2. Suikoden V
3. Suikoden I
4. Suikoden III
5. Suikoden IV

I liked the variety of Suikoden II's castle. It had a village-like area, a dojo/barracks, a dock on the lake and then the castle proper. Suikoden V's castle and the original Suikoden's castle were pretty similar in terms of location, I preferred Suikoden V's castle though. Plus that Zombie Dragon in SI is a bitch to fight. Suikoden III's was shite, it really needed to get better over time. The problem with Suikoden IV's was that it wasn't very realistic, if the ship had ever been destroyed they'd have been well fucked.

As for what type of castle I'd like, I'm gonna agree with Lord Rengo and say they should let us design the castle. Obviously it wouldn't work with too much customization, but you should be able to choose what style of building and it's location within the castle walls.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden 5's castle was one of my favorite places in the series, if not ever. Suikoden 2's just didnt aesthetically please me. And indeed, Suikoden 3 had issues with its castle/mansion. And I did sorta like the idea of a boat as a base in SIV.

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden 1 castle was my favourite. It was not that big as the others, but that was good imho. I also liked the castle theme the best.
Onimaru

Perverted Old Men

3407 Potch
954 Soldiers
86 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shad wrote:
S5 did a decent job of repeating this, though not quite as well, and the castle itself wasn't as pretty.

Excellent answer btw, but this part about Suikoden V doing a decent job of repeating it????? I was the most dissapointed with the level of activity in this place than in any other - the pre-designated designed rooms for members from different areas (who'se area's were already decorated for them even before you meet them) and the fact that no models move around, not even random citizens in tows. I dont think there was a single animated citizen that took a single step in the entire game other than the story-line characters, and even in the castle no one really goes anywhere. Everything is just way to conveniently placed in the castle of SV. btw, I don't remember but...did SV have an elevator?

I hate you Onimaru.
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden III's sucked major ass. Thomas was a pimp and had loads of money, and his house looked like there were half-breeds of mice and Samuel L. Jackson residing in it. Brilliant.

I voted for Suikoden V, because the Ruins were pretty funky and all that.

And why isn't Tactics an option? They had tents!

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

the tents i say were better than suikoden III's castle :\

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Ryu

The Sunwall Army

83872 Potch
100 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Buff wrote:
the tents i say were better than suikoden III's castle :\

hmm... my apologies i should have included the tents... Ok ok ok if you want the tents from tactics you can vote suikoden 4 and just clearify in a message. Does that work for everyone?

"If you beat a dead horse vigorously enough, it's constant twitching and juttering will at least give an assembulence of activity." ~Yahtzee, from The Escapist:Zero Punctuation
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: