Suikoden Unique and Irrational Kibbutz Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

2005 Predictions/Opinions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

FFXII may not be all that everyone wants it to be, and they'll never match FFIV-FFVI but the company won't falter. In fact, the one thing FFXII has going for it from all fans, mainstream or not is that everyone knows what they'll get. Square-Enix has a new franchise in development right now and have announced some other new sequels. RPG's will be healthy this year.

Dragon Warrior is only unknown here... In Japan, it rivals final fantasy. Dragon Quest is a huge property in japan. In fact, in the NES days, Dragon Warrior was one of the few console RPG's available (phantasy star, final fantasy1 and faxanadu the only others I can remember). The US saw 4 releases of Dragon Warrior on the NES.

I feel that the console RPG genre in general owes everything to Square and Enix so I tend to defend them even at times when it's difficult

So far it's been a pretty bad quarter for RPG's. The three games I was waiting for weren't that good. Suikoden IV, XenoSaga 2 and SMT: DDS all lacked what I liked in their predessors....

-- So on to my predictions ---
I think Shadow Hears 3 will make it's way into more homes then 2. I believe Covenant got a lot of grass roots marketing on the net after release so more people will take a harder look at it. I predict Dragon Quest 8, Grandia III and Romancing SaGa will not be released in time for this year (delayed). Wild Arms Alter Code F will be well receieved by RPG fans in part due to the lackluster releases so far...

The console wars if they were to start today would be won by Sony. XBox is lacking exclusive titles. SwKoTor and Halo are great... but what else? MGS, FF, GT, GTA... Sony has a lot of key titles. It's my opinion that the system is really unimportant in determining the console wars. It's the games baby. Early words say that both systems will have hardware that's closer to each other, unlike the current generation where XBox clearly owns best hardware.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, the only games I'm really looking forward to at the moment are Atellier Iris: Eternal Mana, Grandia 3, and Wild Arms Alter Code F. So i hope these titles do VERY well this year. I'm not asking for record breaking sales (that would be nice, though) but just a cult fandom would be nice. It did wonders to Suikoden. haha.

I'm still undecided about Stella Dues and Arc the Lad: End of Darkness. I'm hoping for reviews from himurokoken and Lebenengel respectively, once these games come out, to affect my decision on these games.

And as for Shadow Hearts, I'm really hoping someone gets me into the series. People have tried, but I just haven't heard enough to actually consider buying any of it. But the earlier thread on the Grandia series convinced me to buy Grandia 2 last week, so having me getting into Shadow Hearts is not an impossible task. I really hope someone says something to catch my attention. :D

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm probably not going to pick up Arc the Lad; not until someone can confirm that all of the previous games' characters are playable (and not just cards to be used, as people are saying).
MeltDown!

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hear the new Arc the Lad will be drastically different from the earlier installments.
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, that's in a sense that it's completely a battle based game. If anyone has played Grandia Extreme and Final Fantasy X-2/Arc the Lad 3, just combine those two games, and you have Arc The Lad: End of Darkness. Basically, reviews have said that it's a dungeon crawler where you constantly beat up enemies (Grandia Extreme) while progressing the storyline by taking up missions (Arc the Lad 3 and FFX2) It doesn't have a Linear storyline at all.

Lebenengel, by looking at the gameplay footage, I see Iga fighting the enemies. So I think all the characters are there. But I'm wondering if they are only useable online and not the actual 1 player story. It wouldn't surprise me if that was true, though.

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Also, I think that Soul Calibur III for the GCN with some crazy character (Link or any other Zelda Character probably) will likely be announced by the end of the year. Soul Calibur for the GCN sold 800,000 million units, which is enough considering the size of its user base. They'd be cheating themselves out a lot of money by not doing it.

That seems doubtful, Namco has officially stated that SC3 would be PS2 exclusive and PS2 sold the most copies worldwide. GC sold a good amount because of Link, but the "add-in" characters are being removed, so GC wouldn't really have anything for it.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm pretty sure Gamcube sold the most worldwide.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lebenengel wrote:
I'm pretty sure Gamcube sold the most worldwide.

.....Are you being sarcastic? :?

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not that I can tell. However, it did outsell the PS2 version in the US. I can't find very good charts for Japan, Europe, and Australia, though.

From The Magic Box:
GC Soul Calibur II - 767,000
PS2 Soul Calibur II - 709,000
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

OOOOHHHHHH!!! I thought you meant the GameCube in general! :lol:

Oh silly me. I haven't been paying enough attention on what's going on around me. It would make more sense. PS2's Soul Calibur II was awesome, but it was very disappointing that i didn't get to unlock either Spawn nor Link. Stupid Lizard man...Stupid Berserker...

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Don't worry Starslasher, I thought the same thing as well so you're not alone... What game or game system that sells the most in general is something I could not care less about, as long as they all sell well enough for sequels and such, and good games keep getting spewed out by multiple game companies, I am happy.

I liked Run Like Hell on PS2/Xbox, and would not mind seeing a sequels for that particular game, what ever it was based about. Also I hope that with the new Suikoden Tactics game that Konami is sort of working on, that it does not mean they ditch their Vandal Hearts DS project, therefore probably pushing the possible chance of a Vandal Hearts 3 for PS2 even further into the obiss. I know it should not, but many people on various forums have speculated that Konami may be canning their DS VH. Still I suppose a Suikoden Tactics would not really affect the chance of a Vandal Hearts 3... Either way it is good to see Konami getting more back into the TRPG scene.
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lebenengel wrote:
Not that I can tell. However, it did outsell the PS2 version in the US. I can't find very good charts for Japan, Europe, and Australia, though.

From The Magic Box:
GC Soul Calibur II - 767,000
PS2 Soul Calibur II - 709,000

I had heard that GC outsold PS 2 in America, but worldwide PS2 sold more. Mainly because ceratin areas of the world have PS2 but no GC.

Which, I think, would make the most sense, considering Namco has stated it is only going to be on PS2, if GC sold more it would be stupidity on Namco's part.
Sparhawk

Lords of Foolishness

207476 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Who do you think will have the game of the year? My pick is Nitendo with the new Legend of Zelda. It just looks sweet!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: