Suikoden Uncouth and Inspirational Knowledge Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin Gameplay (Capturing Bases)
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin Gameplay (Recovery)
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin Gameplay
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin Gameplay (Choose Your Weapon)
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin Trailer

From what I can see the Motorbike unit can capture bases but can't cross rivers or mountains like infantry can. There's a few more new units too. One called a Flare which is useful in Fog of War. There's a unit called a Ship Plane which can only be produced by Carriers. There's also something called a Temp. Port, I can't quite read what makes them though (whatever it is it's the bottom right unit that can be built from factories).

Awesome music in the trailer though.

Few name changes:
Bazooka = Mech
Anti Tank = (?)
Hvy. Tank = Md Tank
Mech Gun = Artillery
Battle Heli. = B Copter
Interceptr. = Fighter

Gamespot wrote:
Some of the new gameplay changes won't reveal themselves until you've spent more time with the game. For instance, individual units can now level up as they gain combat experience, and then you can bring them into subsequent missions with you. For instance, a powered-up tank unit that only had seven tanks in reserve might still be able to best a 10-strong tank unit with no previous experience. The commanding officers' special powers have purportedly been greatly reduced in potency as well. You'll gain them much later in the game now, and they won't have the potential to completely swing the flow of battle in the opposite direction the way they did in the last few games. Now the focus is more on your overall strategy, and though you can use a CO power to aid your combat effort, you won't be able to rely on using a carefully timed power to turn the tide all by itself.

Last edited by Hawk Thanatos on Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The APC is called the Mobile Workshop. Weird (and dumb) change.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Leb wrote:
The APC is called the Mobile Workshop. Weird (and dumb) change.

That's not the APC, that's the unit that builds Temp. Ports (and probably other things).
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What? It's the cost and design of the APC.

5000 to build temporary ports and the like? That would ruin the balance they had in mind when they nerfed S/COPs.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Perhaps it also functions as an APC, I dunno. But if it is it's not really a weird change of name since like I said it can build temporary ports etc.

EDIT: You can see it at 1:01/1:02 in the trailer.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In case anyone cared, the game was renamed again. This time it's being called Advance Wars: Dark Conflict. Meh.

Just call it Advance Wars: Dual Strike 2 already.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Leb wrote:
In case anyone cared, the game was renamed again. This time it's being called Advance Wars: Dark Conflict. Meh.

Just call it Advance Wars: Dual Strike 2 already.

Dark Conflict is the game's name in Europe/Australia etc, it's still called Days of Ruin in America.

Also there's been a bunch of CO artwork been released, including the two in my sig.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Annoying name changes.

The new artwork looks pretty funky, everyone has strange hair colours though.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hawk Thanatos wrote:
Dark Conflict is the game's name in Europe/Australia etc, it's still called Days of Ruin in America.

I reported on that a month and a half ago, when even Nintendo's press site was calling it Dark Conflict. They must've quietly changed it back sometime ago.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Alright, this is on shelves today in North America. Anyone pick it up?

The sprites are all crisp, but the game's darker tone, while noticeable, tends to lighten up when you see the colorful maps. I like the dialogue so far, and all the COs are pretty serious individuals. Will, the main character, comes under attack by rogues after he's been wounded, and Commander Brenner and Lin come to his aid. After giving some harsh words to the rogues ("I'll put you down like the rabid dogs you are."), they go on the offensive.

Honestly, from what I can tell, it's like Fire Emblem with a post-apocalyptic setting.

Protip: The first map is called Days of Ruin.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay, fine then! Since it's all quiet here, I thought I'd let some of the older Advance Wars veterans know what's new to the game.

Factions
Gone are the days of Orange Star and Blue Moon, and the post-apocalyptic setting allows for a more complex political atmosphere. Like before, the game has four main military forces in the game, all with different goals.

Protagonist: Will
A cadet in the Rubinelle Army before the meteors hit. Spent days digging out of the rubble he was trapped under, only to spend even longer on a vain search for survivors. Attacked by the Beast, he is rescued by Brenner's patrol.

~~~

12th Battalion - Brenner's Wolves

Leader: Brenner
Captain of the Rubinelle Army's 12th battalion, now commonly known as "Brenner's Wolves." After losing contact with high command, he's taken it upon himself to search for survivors and aid them. Despite being a Rubinelle soldier originally, Brenner does not follow (or trust) the New Rubinelle Army.

Subordinates: Will, Lin, Isabella

~~~

New Rubinelle Army (known as "Ruber" elsewhere)

Leader: Admiral Greyson
The only surviving member of Rubinelle's high command, he has brought together the remnants of the Rubinelle army and various mercenaries to battle the Lazulian Army. Unbeknownst to his followers, his ultimate goal is to rule the world.

Subordinates: Weylon, Davis

~~~

Lazulian Army (known as "Sapphirus" elsewhere)

Leader: Forsythe
A renowned hero and soldier, he leads the remnants of Lazulia's army against Greyson. Despite the smaller size of the Lazulian Army, a mysterious individual has been supplying Forsythe with the necessary equipment to combat New Rubinelle on equal terms.

Subordinates: Tasha, Gage

~~~

Intelligent Defense Systems

Leader: Caulder
Not much is known about this organization or its leader, but its goal seems to be the perpetuation of war.

Subordinates: Tabitha, Penny, Cyrus

~~~

Units
Plenty have been removed, and some have been added. A few returning units have even been tweaked. I'll go over the ones I can remember straight away:

Air: Duster
An aerial unit that can attack any air and ground units, though it's only truly effective against helicopters (won't even scratch the bigger tanks).

Land: Bike
A new form of infantry, they have greater movement than their Infantry and Mech counterparts. Their tradeoff is a movement penalty when traveling through forests, as well as an inability to move through mountains.

Medium Tank, War Tank
New names for the Mid and Neo Tank, respectively. I think the War Tank might have one less movement range than Neo Tanks, but they're still beasts.

Rig
APCs. However, when they're on plains, they can built Temp. Airports, which allow for air units to resupply on fuel and ammo (they can't generate units like a real Airport, though). If on beach terrain, they can built Temp. Ports, which do the same thing for naval units. Vital for keeping your army supplied when operating far from allied cities and bases.

Anti-Tank
Probably the most important change to the formula. Both a direct and indirect attacker (three-square range immediately adjacent to itself), it can pack a punch against most units (tanks in particular, obviously). It also has the peculiar ability of being able to counterattack direct attacks against it. Not as expensive as rockets, but not as long-reaching or as effective against non-tank units.

Naval: Gunship
A small landing craft capable of carrying one Infantry or Mech unit. Unlike Transporters, they have a full missile salvo for protection against other naval units, but there's only enough for one attack/counterattack. Take it back to get resupplied.

Battleship
The "naval rocket unit," as some might recall. This time, however, the Battleship can fire after moving. The tradeoff is that its target range is closer to the ship itself, so having it charge out ahead of the rest of your fleet just to hit one unit is likely to get it destroyed.

Cruiser
The same anti-sub, anti-air naval unit. This time, however, it can fire on Battleships and other Cruisers, as well.

Last edited by Leb on Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:25 am; edited 2 times in total
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This isn't released for another month here but being an impatient bastard I've ordered it online. I'm just waiting for it to arrive. Looking forward to it too.
Masa

Fightin' Nac Mac Feegle

418570 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've been playing it for the last few days. The Fire Emblem comparison is pretty good, though I think it goes leaps and bounds beyond Fire Emblem in terms of the serious tone of the story.

Crimson Crusaders

260069 Potch
250 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've been playing this game for quite some time, non-stop as well. I love the story compared to last two. I also love how they changed the roles of CO's in the game. In AW : DS, it was just ridiculous! You could turn around the entire battle with the Dual Powers. But one thing I do miss from the last AWDS is Jake's corny ghetto speak. "
Get the plates cuz, you just got served!" :-(

Anyway, is anyone on Mission 21 yet? This one is a pain in the ass! Pre-deployed units and the enemy has a lot of good ones..but adding in Fog of War? Damn the people at IS! *shake fist*

Return that soul to God.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am broke right now, but I am picking this game up as soon as I get some cash. I've read up on all the changes and I want to see how it compares to AW:DS. It sounds like a totally different game now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: