Suikoden United and Inspirational Karma Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Haha. Weird. Very strange that they would announce its release time for Europe before even mentioning its very existence in Japan, or the US, or anywhere else. Why France, of all places? Well, any news is good news-- I can't imagine them not releasing an Advance Wars in Japan first.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well Advance Wars and Advance Wars 2 weren't released in Japan until 2004, three years after the first one was released in the US (apparently it wasn't released in Japan at the time because of September 11 but I don't know how true that is). Still, considering Dual Strike was released in Japan first I expect this one will too, even if it hasn't been announced yet.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

New info and videos. Come for the promise of Dual Strike 2 goodness, stay for the hilariously silly-sounding frenchman.

Interesting tidbit (among others): Bike Infantry. My guess is improved mobility and better firepower, but now susceptible to Mech Bazookas and other heavy weaponry.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Same videos I posted on the first page. I don't see too much not to like at the moment, as long as the characters are likable.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I didn't even see your post.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have to say, I think the new art style is really awesome looking. It's a really terrific move for the series, I think. A more serious art style for a more serious game now. So far from what I've seen the character design is excellent. Also, I'm really liking the way the maps look in both this game, and also in Fire Emblem for DS which sports a similar animation style on the war maps.

These two games easily increase my excitement for DS games tenfold.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nothing much extra shown in this shot, just that CO Powers are still in the game. Also another character.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

New CO revealed: Katreya.

Kotaku also confirmed the game's title (Days of Ruin) and release date (January 21).
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't like that they got rid of the old COs. It seems that they are going for a more character driven story line as well. I liked the basic storyline of the previous games, with less character in it and with more of a event based story. It made me not care who I used in battles, as nothing really felt story compelled. I think that will change.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"War is hell" is a very tried theme in video games, so I have to admit that I'll miss the colorful battle animations and stuff. I also kind of wanted to see more of Hawke, who was probably the most developed character in the original cast.

Still, new cast means new people to love and hate. I liked some of the powers of the original characters, but their personalities were crummy.

In any case... I'll miss you, Olaf.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Some new screenshots:
http://press.nintendo.com/object?id=13669
You'll have to click log in:
User: guest
Password: nintendo

Main things of interest are Heavy Tanks, a new older CO and new wasteland terrain. Also it looks like units can level up ranks to I, II or Ace. Or something like that.

@Leb: Hawke is awesome. And I don't say that just because of his name. :P
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Based on the description, It seems like heavy tanks are just a new name for MD tanks.

I am thinking the ranking system will have something to do with how many units you kill with a unit, maybe giving a small boost to stats like +5% attack and defense.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In games like Military Madness and Dai Senryaku units can gain experience from killing units are surviving battles. I'd definitely like to see Advance Wars follow a similar pattern, even if it might hurt some CO abilities because of their dependence on replenishing unit numbers (Colin and Grimm's, for example).
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Colin was way overpowered before. Anything that can help weaken him a bit sounds like a good idea to me. Of course, he's not around anymore, so it's a mute point, but I would be surprised if none of the new Cos had a similar ability.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Colin was just tough on his own, since he still had to fall back on his weak firepower after the Power of Money wrapped up. It was when he was tagged with Sasha and her 100/100 units that he became overpowered.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: