Suikoden Ugly and Irrational Kraalesque Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Wind Rune...?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adrich

14500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I found the Wind Rune rather lacking in Suikoden III, actually. One problem was that you didn't really have access to anyone who could reach S rank in that skill. Thomas got an A+, but his Magic stat wasn't that great. Three characters got A (Yuiri, Viki, and Viki), which could be raised up to S with a Wind Hat and a Wind Magic Ring, but neither was especially common.

On the other hand, you got Estella who did have an S in Fire, plus four other characters with A. Fire Magic Rings were almost as scarce as Wind Magic Rings, but the Wizard Hat, which gave a bonus to Lightning and Fire Magic, could be bought and didn't have to be found. Also, you have more opportunity to use the True Fire Rune than you do the True Wind Rune, and the fact that True Rune spells cast faster than normal ones will make up for the fact that neither of the three heroes have a fantastic Fire Magic skill.

Anyone who says that Fire Magic is useless in Suikoden III doesn't know how to take advantage of the system. Once Fire Magic is at A or above it is absolutely useable. Get it to A+ or S and it's that much better.

At that level there's a very good chance that a Fire Rune spell will be the first action taken during the turn that it's cast, so you can use an area of effect spell without hitting party members. If you have an especially fast party member who will make it to the enemy before the spell is cast then you can stick them in the back row which will delay their actions somewhat. After the first turn you probably won't be able to use the area spells again, but keep in mind that both the Rage and True Fire Runes have Final Flame, an extremely powerful attack that targets only one enemy.

Learn to use the Fire Rune effectively and spells like The Shredding will pale in comparison to their Fire counterparts (250 v. 400 damage). Funeral Wind which does only 300 damage to one enemy (and a chance of instant death which, of course, won't work on bosses) also looks sad against Explosion which does 700 (more than twice the damage) to an area.

And, naturally, the Wind Rune's healing spells plain suck when compared to the Water Rune. Kindness Drops not only fully heals one pair, but it's also a first level spell so it casts extremely quickly and can be used effectively even by those with little Water Rune skill. Healing Wind, on the other hand, is a level two spell (one level higher) that heals 300 (not complete healing) to one party member (not two).

If you ask me, the Wind Rune is the worst magic rune available in Suikoden III.

Last edited by adrich on Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

actually, thomas gets an 'S' ranking in wind; unfortunately, even with the wider range of spells it carries, the rune simply doesn't cut it for my needs. the healing and attack are far outclassed by the other runes, even if you only have one choice-for that, i'd choose flowing, it has attack, defense and healing that far outstrips any wind rune, barring the twr.

as for the twr, it's simply ok, but is also outclassed by the other true elementals, that and the annoyance it's attached to make me pass on it much like its weaker kin.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
adrich

14500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

sybillious wrote:
actually, thomas gets an 'S' ranking in wind

I beg to differ because displayed on my television screen at this very moment is the following information:

SKILL: Wind Magic
NEXT: ---
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Only if Thomas has a Wind Ring would he have an S-Rank.
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ahh, so that's the mystery...although i might have had a haziness on him at the time...been too long to be sure about it.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the point of the wind rune is to the jack of all trade of elementals. Water is better at healing, earth is better for status changes, and lightning/fire are better for attacking, but Wind is a useful rune for getting everything in one rune slot. I don't keep a lot of characters with wind, but for characters who are so-so in magic but have more than one rune slot, I occassionally give them a wind rune so they can act as back-up attack mages/healers, should they be needed. It is useful even if it is no where near as powerful as the other elemental runes.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen Cott

Yellow Knights of the Dukedom

8112 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gwendal wrote:
And to the above poster...you do realize you can remove Luc`s Wind rune in S1, right? He does indeed kick ass with a Lightning rune...

Sorry, I just can't bring myself to do it...

adrich wrote:
Anyone who says that Fire Magic is useless in Suikoden III doesn't know how to take advantage of the system. Once Fire Magic is at A or above it is absolutely useable. Get it to A+ or S and it's that much better.

Getting it at A level seems like a lot of work just to use it in the first place, then you've still got to be careful in case someone unexpectantly moves before you, and then after you use it once, you can't use it again. Just use a Lightning rune.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well adrich has posted it before, that both Fire and Rage Rune have the Final Flame spell that targets 1 enemy. So you could use that spell on the next turns so that it wouldn't hit your teammates.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

adrich

14500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RandomGuy wrote:
Getting it at A level seems like a lot of work just to use it in the first place, then you've still got to be careful in case someone unexpectantly moves before you, and then after you use it once, you can't use it again. Just use a Lightning rune.

I don't know about you, but I never use any magic unless the character has at least a B+. It just takes too long to cast. The purpose of Fire, anyway, is to attack large groups. Most of a boss' minions will be taken out in the first round if you do things right, so one casting is often enough. Also, one of the most annoying enemies in the game (for me, at least), the Azzodess, is immune to lightning attacks.
Kobold

35491 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, i didn't exactly like S3 so...

But i loved Cyclone in S2 because i'd stick it to the mian character, and the large amounts of shredding will complement the useless shining light(or whatever) that Bright Shield has... And, S2's shredding was much more powerful than S3, which is highly annoying actually.
Glen Cott

8112 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What I meant was, Fire's spells can usually be substituted for Lightning's, whereas Wind also has healing spells and so its still useful.

Take their lvl 4 spells, Furious Blow does 1000 damage to the target and a bit less to a wide area of enemies. Explosion does 700 damage to a wide area of enemies and allies. About the same damage total but Furious Blow is safer so I would go with it.

A couple of people mentioned Final Flame, which does 1200 to one enemy; the corresponding Lightning spell is Thunder Storm IIRC, which does 1100 damage to all foes. There's no contest.

adrich wrote:
Also, one of the most annoying enemies in the game (for me, at least), the Azzodess, is immune to lightning attacks.

I do agree that against Azzodess and the Sarah battle, bring out the fire runes, but then put them away again!

I personally use spells no matter what the level, a wind rune at E can still cast wind of sleep or healing wind in the first turn. Although of course the higher the better :wink: .

Kobold wrote:
And, S2's shredding was much more powerful than S3, which is highly annoying actually.

I agree.
adrich

14500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree that lightning is good, I'm just saying that I find fire rather useful as well. My third playthrough, when I actually invested in fire magic for some of my characters, I found that many of the boss battles became much easier, especially some of the ones that you're not necessarily expected to win. You're also forced to have the True Fire Rune, so you might as well be able to use it (though Chris really can't).

Wind is more flexible, yes, but with a balanced party that flexibility shouldn't really be needed.
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wind has a little bit of everything, which makes it pretty nice. The ability to have offense and healing in one rune is really nice, especially in Suikoden 1 where you couldn't have multiple runes.
I always thought Earth was pretty useless, but then I started using it in 3, and replaying the other two. Cutting damage rocks.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Excalibur1027

The Dark Ones Own Luck

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
15000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I usually use all of the five elements when I can. I think all of them can be useful depending on the situation.

In S1 I thought all of the them were overpowered near the end of the game, when you had access to the higher runes that is. (Rage, Flowing, etc.)

In my opinion, S2 did the best job of balancing out the elemental runes.

I really didn't use magic allot for S3. It was really the first suikoden that "power" was more useful than "magic". All I really used was lightning on bosses and water to heal.

8112 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

adrich wrote:
Wind is more flexible, yes, but with a balanced party that flexibility shouldn't really be needed.

Good point!

It is hard to compare the wind rune to the fire rune, because the fire rune lacks healing abilities and the wind rune is more of a jack of all trades, master of none. It really depends on whether you would like to have the extra healing or you are confident enough to make use of the fire rune.

However, I am still not convinced however that the fire rune is worth using. The facts show that the later spells are inferior to the lightning rune and maybe even the earth rune. It suppose with the right preperation the fire rune can be used, but I am not big into preparation, I usually pick the characters I like and use the runes they can use :).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: