Suikoden Urgent and Illusional Kriegspiel Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Are Mech games repeating themselves/becoming worse???

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Well?
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 2 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Don't play them
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

Aesa

Those Who Slumber

427118 Potch
250 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Are Mech games repeating themselves/becoming worse??? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The reason why I ask is for actually several reasons.....

1) No new plots are really being worked on. Sure maybe a small little one, but that is soon forgotten
2) G4 (channel) did a few reviews on mech games: Mech Assult 2: lone wolf, (insert name here): featuring Gundam Seed, also another one that i've forgotten.
-the clipping in the one I've forgotten, I can say no more for it's absolute abomintableness. Try walking through a build ing real life!!!
-Story line? What story line?
-Shoot 'nd Kill is all that you do.
-did I mention no storyline?

Reply on this matter so I can know what others think

The setting sun means the rise of a new day...
...excepting for Ragnarok, of course

~Tinto~
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I reuqest that a moderator move this topic to the Game & Anime Discussion Forum.

Now that that's out of the way...

Here's a fact. Most games of ANY genre are bad. There has never been a genre in the history of video games where more than 50% of the titles have been above average.

While it is easy to list tired and dated mech games such as ones you've mentioned, I can also bring up superb examples of the genre such as Front Mission and espeically the sublime Ring of Red.

Mech games aren't bad due to any inherent flaw, they're mostly bad because of poor development. This is true of all games made by all companies for all genres.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They need to build another Mech game like Mechwarrior III, where it actually felt like you were piloting a 70-ton war machine in a huge battle. After playing this game, all of my short stories about mecha battles got dramatically better.

Who needs a story line. I want an immersive experience that makes me feel that I'm a part of an ultra-elite military unit. When you get hit, you fall. You see dents in your opponents, scorch marks on buildings, bullet holes in windows. You hear wizzes of rifle ammunition past your head and whirl around to see someone about to rail you with shotgut shells before you react lightning-fast with a shot that blows his arm off. He explodes and your computer screams at you, "Overheating. Shutdown imminent. Energy weapons offline." You scramble, duck down as someone screeches over your head, and then let loose your missle salvo and watch as the debris showers over your head.

By the way, don't even MENTION the console game here. Console games don't do this well at all. All of the console mech games are arcade-y little shoot-em ups. Bleah. I don't need that.

Pht, who cares about plot, really. You might play an FPS for the plot one time, but after that, it's all the Team Battles, Deathmatch, and other MP. Make a mission-based Mech game where you can start up clans and pit them against each other to earn ladder ranks and virtual money? Territory and land? You've got an instant winner.

Man, I miss the old Mechwarrior games.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Of course not all mech-games are of the FPS variety, you understand. And only some lend themselves well enough to be compared with more 'standard' FPS games.

And, of course, plenty of people care for story and plot and development and so on, dismissing such concepts out of hand only works for some people but a lot of people want (or even need) to feel more involved in a game on a personal level to get the most out of it. A fully-fleshed in-game world is never a bad thing.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: