Suikoden Uncouth and Inspirational Kriegspiel Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Dragon Quest discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Dragon Quest series has always been at the opposite end of the spetrum when compared with Final Fantasy since about 20 years ago. The trend is still there even after Square and Enix combined into one corporate entity. The lack of innovation system-wise is intentional, and I'm one of those people who like it that way. The battles are well balanced and challenging, and there's a great amount of detail put into the world. The series is fortunate to have the same people at its helm since the first installation: Yuji Horii as the scenario writer, Koichi Sugiyama as the composer, and Akira Toriyma as the character / monster designer.
Vertius

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vextor wrote:
The Dragon Quest series has always been at the opposite end of the spetrum when compared with Final Fantasy since about 20 years ago. The trend is still there even after Square and Enix combined into one corporate entity. The lack of innovation system-wise is intentional, and I'm one of those people who like it that way. The battles are well balanced and challenging, and there's a great amount of detail put into the world. The series is fortunate to have the same people at its helm since the first installation: Yuji Horii as the scenario writer, Koichi Sugiyama as the composer, and Akira Toriyma as the character / monster designer.

Aye, that is something I acknowledge and enjoy about the series, also. It really feels like an old-school series, with a modern-day presentation.

That, however, makes the latest title seem all the stranger. Dragon Quest IX is, in many respects, a departure from the tried-and-true mechanics of the past, by bringing a real-time battle system to the fore. More-than-likely, they took the criticism from DQVIII, and, lamentably, acted on it. I just hope the difficulty doesn't ease much in the process of the changes, since that'd be enormously disappointing...

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, Dragon Quest IX will be the first one I won't play. I don't really like portable consoles.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I said I'd deliver, so here it is. These are relevant comments from Yuri Horii in issue 94 of the Official US Playstation Magazine (July 2005) in the preview of DQ8. Any possible typos I missed are of my own doing in typing it up. >_>

Quote:
"I really wanted to focus on keeping the hero of the story as simply an extension of the player. The character will not involuntarily speak or move. The hero will only move at your own will at all times."

"Basically, DQ is not a drama that you watch but a game that you yourself experience. In that sense, what's displayed on the screen could be a bit restrained to the eye, but I have faith that there is an epic story evolving in the minds of those who are playing the game."

"It's been almost 20 years since the first Dragon Quest was released in Japan. This was a time when the RPG genre was only for a small group of fanatics. I thoroughly focused on how easy it would be to pick up the game when creating it for the home console.

It all began with my intention to create a niche game such as an RPG that could be played without an instruction manual. No matter how fun the product might be, it would be terrible if the player stumbles at the very threshold of the game. I next focused on creating a welcoming doorway to a world that would greet the player with open arms. Even if this place were to be ruled by evil, I wanted to build a real humane world where the player would want to stay forever. The hero of this world is the player himself. I set out to build a story where the hero -- the player -- can freely explore and be genuinely excited. And so, the completed product was Dragon Quest.

The was a time when the maximum game size was at 64KB, but as the hardware evolved, DQ also made progressive leaps. But the original concept of allowing anyone to play without any troubles and building a welcoming world where anyone can journey freely around the world as the hero has never changed. I believe that this idea is why a million, 2 million, 3 million, and even 4 million people have enjoyed DQ over the years."

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I'd just like to share this little site with you, and all its triumphant glory. Its solid concrete proof we're getting DQ 4-6 here in the states.

http://na.square-enix.com/zenithia/

YAY!

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Angelus

Queen of Falena

579729 Potch
0 Soldiers
2545847 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eww, I wanted to play IV during the summer. xD Oh well.

Jorge Prima wrote:
What? Our pokemon aren't obeying?

When a problem comes along YOU MUST WHIP IT!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: