Suikoden Urgent and Illegal Kosher Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Dragon Quest discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Dragon Quest discussion Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm going through Dragon Quest V (snes) via fan translations right now, and there are currently 4 new Dragon Quests' on the way right now; a remake of IV, V, and VI, and Dragon Quest IX. All are to be released on the Nintendo ds (:().

After DQV, I'm going to play I-III, VI, and VII. I+II on the SNES via fan translations, III on the GBC (:(), VI via fan translations, and VII on the playstation. I figure I should be able to play and beat all of these games before IV's remake comes out. Since it's the first remake to be released I'm holding out on playing it, I'm just waiting for the remake.

Dragon Quest VIII was my first DQ, unfortunately, so I feel like I should make up for lost time before I play the next DQ.

At the Tokyo Game Show today a trailer for IVr was released. The overall graphics don't look spectacular, but they definitely work. I gotta say though, that the battle animations are absolutely amazing. They look FANTASTIC. Unlike Vr and VIr, DQIVr is using 3d backgrounds with 2d sprites. This makes the battles look amazing, but outside of battle it's a little meh. But hey, DQ fans are a little used to getting low res graphics, am i rite?

Dragon Quest IVr debut trailer

In Dragon Quest IV you have the opportunity to play as multiple characters, including your hero. Each character has his or hers own quest, told through their own perspective, before joining your party.

Dragon Quest IX is history in the making as it's the first main series DQ to be exclusively for a handheld. It was originally to feature action rpg combat, but thankfully they wised up and made it turn based. We don't know much about the game now, except it's DQ, on the DS, has Level 5 working on it, and will be released in 2008 in Japan (that means probably 2009 in America).

Dragon Quest IX debut trailer

Images

:(

Since the characters are children I can only hope that they grow up like in V.
Sialeeds

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Himuro wrote:
III on the GBC (Sad)

How dare you insult this great game on the GBC :(
Honestly, I'm much more anxious for DQMJ, but I'm also looking forward for IX and probably the other remakes, since there are currently only crappy games on the ds, at the most rpgs.
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally, I think Dragon Quest is overrated. I played I-IV on the NES and I am going through DQVIII right now. I see very little change in the series, with the exception of psyching up, but that's hardly a real change. The series is way too simplistic for me and although the graphics and music are wonderful in DQVIII, I find myself not wanting to progress storywise or to fight random battles.
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sialeeds wrote:
Himuro wrote:
III on the GBC (Sad)

How dare you insult this great game on the GBC :(
Honestly, I'm much more anxious for DQMJ, but I'm also looking forward for IX and probably the other remakes, since there are currently only crappy games on the ds, at the most rpgs.

I'm not insulting it. I'm just sad I have to resort to playing the game on the gbc. I wish they'd remake I-III with better graphics.

Timbo wrote:
Personally, I think Dragon Quest is overrated. I played I-IV on the NES and I am going through DQVIII right now. I see very little change in the series, with the exception of psyching up, but that's hardly a real change. The series is way too simplistic for me and although the graphics and music are wonderful in DQVIII, I find myself not wanting to progress storywise or to fight random battles.

How is it overrated? At least over here? Over here hardly anyone plays DQ. DQ is about simplicity, and unlike other jrpgs, it excels at this. It's not about progression, like FF, it's about traditionalism at its finest and DQ is proud of this and not ashamed to flaunt it.
Lonelion

Lonelion's Naval Fleet.

4727 Potch
106 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I enjoy playing Dragonquest VIII,i think it was a well done game in all,i missed out on the previous Dragon Warrior games(the name it went by here in North America pryor to number 8).

http://www.myspace.com/lonelion7769
http://www.duefiumi.com
http://z6.invisionfree.com/suikocross
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Andarc

Lightning halberd

154551 Potch
143 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It excells at simplicity, hahaha...

You didnt really do the series justice right there dude.
The Dragon Quest series is more about traditional RPG styles moreso than "simplicity", Dragon Quest has always had a very intriguing storyline whereas other JRPGs had unnecessarily complicated ones... and well complex =/= good... Dragon Quest is basically the counter Final Fantasy, like where Final Fantasy grows more and more complex and intricate, Dragon Quest stays simple in battle system, and interesting, yet traditional in story. Dragon Quest as well has always had sidequests and special things to get... like every dragon quest has the "Lineage Armor" ~= The armor that belonged to an ancestor, that wasnt ever NECESSARY to obtain.

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm going to agree with Andarc here. Dragon Quest never tried to be revolutionary or innovative. The drive for Dragon Quest has always been and hopefully always will be, fun. I too have played Dragon Quest since the NES and loved it. 1 through 4 had little change between them. I never played any of the SNES ones or VII on Playstation simply because I never got my hands on them or downloaded the ROMs. When I picked up VIII and heard the Dragon Quest theme, it sent shivers down my spine. That anthem is great. I'm so glad they haven't changed it.

They thrive in keeping as much the same about each game as possible. From the same enemies (Slimes being the first to be fought) to the simplistic old school battle style. Why fix what isn't broken? The games have always been about telling the tale and letting you guide it through. Sometimes new complexities detract from the game's point. A great example is Final Fantasy X. The story is good, but it was overshadowed by the enormous side quests and the need to master the entire Sphere grid. Final Fantasy VIII (arguably) is the worst game in its series because they screwed too much with the game play and battle system. It was supposed to be the most story driven of the series and it got hampered by the Draw and GF systems, completely overshadowing the point of the game.

So if Dragon Quest is going to keep things the same, I think its a breath of fresh air. Not a breath of stale and old air.

The Trailers for Dragon Quest IX looks sweet. I can't wait to get that. I just hope it isn't too short because its on a handheld. As for the remakes of IV-VI, I'm stoked. I haven't played IV is so long, and V and VI will be completely new to me, so that will be a worthy pick up. I'm lazy, when are the release dates set for these games?

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just can't fathom how a Suikoden fan can complain about simplicity in Dragon Quest.

And yeah, that's what I meant. Dragon Quest excels at being traditional and it doesn't really give a crap. It's proud of being traditional, and unlike other rpg series you can tell it's proud of who it is. Dragon Quest is 20 years of tradition, and that has made each new game as polished as the last. Talk about quality, eh?

What the Christ? I didn't know we were getting Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker. :o I heard that Square Enix USA didn't want to release it here because people hate roguelikes in the west and it wouldn't be that successful.

According to gamestop: ships 11/06/07

Monsters: Joker video preview via gametrailers

Does this mean we may still get Yangus? :)

This game looks amazing for ds. o_O

Red: DQIVr comes out this year in Japan. Expect it sometime next year over here. Hopefully before summer. :( You should really be excited for DQV man, because I'm playing through it now and it is absolutely amazing. Many DQ fans call it the best in the series, and in Japan, it is by far the most popular. Playing through the game really makes me wonder why the hell it wasn't published here because it's actually on par (better?) with FFIV, and we all know that a lot of people were really impressed with FFII/IV. Well, they may have been just as impressed with DQV. The game is that good.

:) Wish it was entirely 2d and had the graphics on par with Rocket Slime, but hey, at least we're getting these remakes in the first place.

Sialeeds

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Man can't wait to play these games. DQMJ the most, I bought my DS just for that game :D
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In DQV I got to (spoiler)my hometown, and now Bianca is pregnant, and I have to prove myself to become king. Loving the game, but not nearly as much as I loved VIII. I have a feeling that after playing every DQ I'll still like VIII the most.
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Holy crap, DQV has an insane and unexpected plot twist. Beautiful game.
Sialeeds

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dragon Quest Monsters DS is approaching next montch in USA-land. Who is going to buy it? I'm going to import it, I waited 3 years for it!
Plus the game also comes to Europe next year. For all fellow Europeans. :)
Demon Eyes Kyo

Crimson Crusaders

260069 Potch
250 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm so going to buy Dragon Quest Joker. Dragon Quest Monsters for GBC was my very first GBC game and DQ game? Dragon Quest is one of my favorite series and I hope that the DS remakes get translated into English, if they did I would just fangasm. One of my favorites is Dragon Quest V and VIII, I liked V better though mainly because of the plot.

Return that soul to God.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Karushifa

155169 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Himuro wrote:
What the Christ? I didn't know we were getting Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker. :o I heard that Square Enix USA didn't want to release it here because people hate roguelikes in the west and it wouldn't be that successful.

Well, people in the west certainly love pirates...or is that just Johnny Depp?

BTW, the Yangus game ("Dragon Quest: Young Yangus and the Mysterious Dungeon") has an interesting page on Wikipedia. And by interesting, I mean, in the sidebar under release dates, it has "N.A.: TBA 2008"

Ohpleaseohpleaseohplease YES. We shall see.

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I'm going to agree with Andarc here. Dragon Quest never tried to be revolutionary or innovative. The drive for Dragon Quest has always been and hopefully always will be, fun.

All games are trying to be fun. Innovation keeps things from being repetitive, something I think Dragon Quest is affected by. Basic attack, magic and items as combat options, along with basic character growth and forced grinding makes for repetitive gameplay. With predictable plot lines and simplistic characters, I find little reason to continue on with stories. If you don't want to fight or go through a story, there's little reason to play an RPG, especially when you've gone through an incredibly similar one previously.

At least, that's how I feel when I play a DQ game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: