Suikoden United and Infamous Knowledge Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

California signs law banning teens from texting and driving
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How the heck can someone text whilst driving? It takes like all of my concentration just to find the name I want in the phone book on the mobile.

Scary stuff. :shock:
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The other thing that really caught my eye when the news shows were talking about the laws was the inclusion of laptops to the bill. While it is scary to know that teens are texting while driving I can understand that some teens have memorized by touch how to operate their cell phones to text. But how the hell does one get caught using a laptop while driving. Even the smallest laptopn I've seen still too big to operate using one hand.

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Both my father and my brother-in-law had an alarming habit, when in their youth, of reading a novel while driving on long road trips. THey'd prop it up on the wheel and hold it there as they held the wheel, and read while they "watched" the road over the tops of their books.

Terrifying.

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have to say that I'm guilty of doing the same when I was just out of high school. I used to buy comic books on a weekly basis and when I was driving home from school and after picking up my weekly comic books I'd glance through the pages of some of them while I was stuck in traffic. I only did it when the traffic slowed to a crawl, but even then I knew that either I get too distracted at the wrong time or I get honked at for not moving. Good thing I don't do that sort of thing anymore.

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I used to do that too--but only when I was stopped at a red light on in a total standstill.

But my dad and brother in law would do it on the freeway--60 MPH and reading Lord of the Rings.

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey at least they were reading something worthwhile. But still doing that, texting and just being on one's gadgets while going 60 mph and faster is just Evil Kneivel level of danger. I will say that adults do have some bad habits that teens haven't picked up on while driving. I am talking about adults who put on make-up, shave, read the paper and do all their morning routine while driving to work in the morning.

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Flare wrote:
Also, just thought I'd mention that in Illinois you get your license at 16, permit at 15, which seems to be different than where HH is at. I've never really seen much use for texting, and I couldn't even if I wanted to. My parents put a texting block on my phone. I can't send or receive. Although, since I'm already 18, that law wouldn't affect me. But to answer the topic question, I think that it does target teenagers, which isn't right. I think that older people trying to use their new 'toys' on the road are more dangerous. They're trying to use something they're prolly not that used to while driving, so they're even more distracted.

Maybe teens are "smarter" by you but I don't buy the pouty pouty "percicution wahhhhhh bwaaaaaaa bawright!" garbage. Prehaps some rare teens are savy and conciencious but some might just be "buh wutevr", and texting while driving? that is iditoic, the same with driving while watching tv, having sex, or putting on makeup. Is it "because they are teens"? what if it were for everyone? You really think some "kid" who's only been driving for 7 months is going to be able to use a cell phone while driving? even if they are such masters of the car?

Can they really pay attintion to both so greatly? what a skill! we need to hire these suprmos of multitasking.

I see teens on phones a lot, and preteens nearly constently texting eachother, nobody has a convosation anymore. You are telling me these people should be allowed to communicate while driving? I don't know, Maybe some can while on a hands free set but some might just get so engrosed in their convosation that they fail to pay attintion to the road.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rakuna

Silver Wind

29744 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it's very much a sensible law. It's highly dangerous, and just absurd to text or use a laptop while driving. Especially if it's a teen, who would be quite easily distracted.
I just don't like the idea of people using any kind of electronic device while driving at all.

... They really have no room to complain, because it IS fair. He's saving their arses from getting in a serious accident resulting from a distracted driver.
Celes Tilly

Buttery Lungs

290293 Potch
666 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
The other thing that really caught my eye when the news shows were talking about the laws was the inclusion of laptops to the bill. While it is scary to know that teens are texting while driving I can understand that some teens have memorized by touch how to operate their cell phones to text. But how the hell does one get caught using a laptop while driving. Even the smallest laptopn I've seen still too big to operate using one hand.

Apparently you haven't met Mister Change Your Pants While Driving.

People do weird shit while driving, so using a laptop wouldn't surprise me.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ha, that reminds me, I once saw a man pouring hot water into a Pot Noodle in preparation for eating it whilst driving, he was in a rush for work...
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Ha, that reminds me, I once saw a man pouring hot water into a Pot Noodle in preparation for eating it whilst driving, he was in a rush for work...

That's really crazy, especially if he slipped. I've read about someone trying to put his clothes on before and even a lady putting on lipstick while driving.

I fully agree that this law should not have to been made but for people severely lacking common sense. There are a lot of statistics that show how people who use their handphones while driving have a far higher chance of getting into accidents and that's only when they're talking in it; how much more must it be for people who are actively texting on the phone? I know that they can argue that they haven't gotten into any accidents so far, but that's only so far; it's only a matter of time before they'll get into serious trouble by getting distracted.
As for the law targetting teenagers, I'll say that it's not too unfair to begin with them, seeing that they are usually the ones using handphones while talking, but it should be extended to other age groups as well (My father uses a hands free set or he asks whoever it is who called to call him back later).

Quote:

Maybe some can while on a hands free set but some might just get so engrosed in their convosation that they fail to pay attintion to the road.

I think using a handsfree set should decrease the chances of accidents by a lot, but careless people are just as likely to get engrossed in the conversation.

Here's a study on the effects of using handphones while driving:
http://aei-brookings.org/admin/authorpdfs/redirect-safely.php?fname=../ pdffiles/Hahn-PriegerREPOST1-4-07.pdf

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Luceit wrote:

That's really crazy, especially if he slipped. I've read about someone trying to put his clothes on before and even a lady putting on lipstick while driving.

Yeeeah, mister "I can tie a tie and drive at the same time!" >_>
Lipstick doesn't bother me, necessarily, though. I mean, there are alot of ladies who put it on without looking in a mirror, and so they can whip it out and slap it on like chapstick with no danger to themselves or anyone else.

I'm one of those stoplight make-up people. I'll be behind fifty cars at a red light, so I'll bust out the lipstick knowing I'll be there for ten minutes. I once saw a lady eat a cheeseburger AND put on mascarra AND drive, all at the same time. It struck terror in my soul. I mean, it's hard enough to put on eye make-up without putting out an eye to begin with, but doing it in a car is even worse and doing it while doing the actual driving?? *Dies*

Last edited by HarmonianHiccup on Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm highly in favor of this law and I consider it a good start. Now, they need to at the very least require all drivers over the age of 18 to have to use a hands free device with their cell. My personal preference would be to have the use totally banned, but I'm not unreasonable. Still, I cannot be convinced that having the cell phone plastered to one's ear doesn't affect how they drive. When I'm driving, it seems that the people who are most likely to be engaging in a round of car tag with me (where I pass them, then they pass me later, lather, rinse, repeat) are the ones who are talking on their cell phones. They obviously are too incompetent to use the cruise control, and something about talking on the phone means that their foot cannot maintain steady pressure or something. Either way, that's just not a smart thing to do to someone who suffers from the sheer amount of road rage that I do.

I never have my cell phone turned on when I'm driving. I have it with me for emergency use. No one calling me is an emergency. They can wait until my car is parked, I don't care what the situation is.

On the subject of teenagers, I agree that we need a lot more laws targeting them specifically. By and large, teenagers are a horrible bunch of drivers simply because they don't have the experience. I know some states don't allow teenagers to carry passengers in the car without a parent for the first year that they drive. This is, obviously, because too many of them like to show off when they get their buddies in the car, and also because all those people trying to hold a conversation with you can be distracting when you're just really getting driving experience. They can complain about being unfairly targeted all they want, but until statistics prove otherwise, I don't think it's unfair to go after the most inexperienced drivers on the road.

~Uguu!~
Inko

Nikostratos

629196 Potch
5000 Soldiers
465 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd have to agree with this law, but I'd also like to say that I think it should be strecthed beyond just teens and up throughout the ages. I've only texted ONCE while driving, and that was because it was an emergency, It was awefully hard to pay attention to the road and I'd have to say it did damage my ability to drive.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You mean it wasn't already illegal? It's stupid not to have such a law. Anyone under the age of 18, or anyone who has only had their license for under 1 year, is prohibited from using their cell phone at all while driving cars in Virginia. I see no reason to stop extending this law to all drivers-- no one should be driving while looking at their cell and typing-- that's just silly.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: