Suikoden Urgent and Inspirational Knowledge Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Do you love Japan?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragonstar13

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah yes, the people who are into everything Japanese. I have friends like that, ones who constantly 'speak' Japanese phrases they've learned in anime. As much as I like anime, I hate it when they act like anime characters. "U-so", "Gomen gomen", "Hhheeehh!!", "Urusai", "Onii-chan"(This one in particular makes me feel uncomfortable), "Imoto-chan"...and so on-_-;;; And no, none of the people who say these phrases are actually Japanese.
I just laugh it off. However, I really wish they'd stop. It's not so much because they're speaking Japanese that bothers me. It's that they're doing it because of the anime fad.

The party members you never use

579843 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I had a couple of friends who felt like lepers going into trains because no one would sit with them because they were foreigners, they would simply stare.

This wouldn't be a problem for me. whenever i get on University bus to go to school, no one sits next to me. Even when i'm in class, no one is around me. Maybe I radiate some kind of aura that says "Back off". I call it the circle of hate.

People that mix in anime Japanese with english make my blood boil. its not neat, its not cute. its ignorant and pointless. I'm taking japanese right now, and the teacher said we shouldn't try to pick up phrases from anime, since its not actually used in everyday conversations. if that's the case, then why is anime Japanese different from regular Japanese?

Space Monkey Punks From Japan

349252 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm a huge fan of Japan as a country, if there was ever a country that I would get a degree in Historywise it would be Japan. I had the luck of going on holiday to Japan a Year ago, it was the best holiday I had ever been on. I felt so comfortable there, the people of Japan are so much nicer, more respectful that here in the UK. Infact the UK has some absolute jerks while the only complaint I had about Japan was a few of the youths who seem to be being "americanized". I got on really well with the older population, they were polite and I was polite in reply.

I hope someday I will be good enoough games designerwise to work there, it would be nice to return either way.

FOREVER X!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Splendid Monkey

Monkey`s Mad Marauders

96384 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The badguy from Tron wrote:
if that's the case, then why is anime Japanese different from regular Japanese?

The rough language you might hear in anime is only used in certain circles like yakuza or juvenile delinquents. The average highschool student would never behave, look or sound like his/her anime counterpart. In fact, the large majority of the Japanese youths is surprisingly timid and well-behaved.

Japanese society is highly uniform and standing out or being unique are usually not appreciated. The reason why they make themselves look so cool and quirky in manga/anime I believe is because in fact most Japanese are quite the opposite. The anime version is just what they wish to be like.
HarmonianHiccup

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't have a problem with Americans speaking Japanese in to each other in casual conversation, but I agree that the spouting off of anime phrases really makes my eye twitch. I and my friends all speak Japanese (we met each other in Japan, actually, come to think of it...) and so we will often carry on conversations that wander from English to Japanese and then somewhere in between, much to the annoyance of people who are listening in.

It's funny that some of you would say that the Japanese people seemed to avoid you because you were foreign or that they didn't seem pleased that a foreigner was learning their language, because it was just the opposite for me!
I was never avoided for being foreign, and every time I opened my mouth and spoke in Japanese I was overwhelmed with delighted answers from the people I was talking to. They were all very helpful and very warm and SO blessedly polite (let me tell you, it was a SHOCKER manners-wise coming back to the States after getting used to how nice everybody in Japan was).

Of course, it's hard to notice if people are trying to avoid you when you're all crammed on a rush hour train on the way to school in downtown Yokohama. You're lucky if you get half an inch of personal space! XD

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Splendid Monkey wrote:
The badguy from Tron wrote:
if that's the case, then why is anime Japanese different from regular Japanese?

The rough language you might hear in anime is only used in certain circles like yakuza or juvenile delinquents. The average highschool student would never behave, look or sound like his/her anime counterpart. In fact, the large majority of the Japanese youths is surprisingly timid and well-behaved.

Japanese society is highly uniform and standing out or being unique are usually not appreciated. The reason why they make themselves look so cool and quirky in manga/anime I believe is because in fact most Japanese are quite the opposite. The anime version is just what they wish to be like.

wow, what a shame. It's almost like America lives off of that.

So, back on track, how do you tell the differnce between a real Japanophile, a Lover of culture from those "wanna bes" (I used to have a friend who now wishes so much he was Japanese, he even only listens to J-pop, eats with chopsticks and has his friends call him by some "anime character's name")

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Splendid Monkey

Monkey`s Mad Marauders

96384 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

kuwaizair wrote:
So, back on track, how do you tell the differnce between a real Japanophile, a Lover of culture from those "wanna bes" (I used to have a friend who now wishes so much he was Japanese, he even only listens to J-pop, eats with chopsticks and has his friends call him by some "anime character's name")

Real Japanophiles don't wish they were Japanese. Actually, as much as the country still fascinates me, I'm happy I wasn't born there what with all the examination hell and said uniformity.

I remember another Japanese major back in uni who went as far as legally changing his name to a Japanese one.
Andarc

Lightning halberd

154551 Potch
143 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Weeaboo mentallity is: a sense of rejection from their culture, and their society.. take up another nation's culture (Ironically only to be crushed by the fact that Japanese people are incredibly xenophobic)

Random weeaboo going to japan: "IM HOEM"

Random Japanese buisness man: "OMG GAIJIN!!!"

The Swallow Brigade

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love japan, mainly because of it's history that fascinates me since I came in contact with it some years ago. My college application is for a history degree and I'll probably aiming for a major in japanese history.

But I can't deny that anime/manga and games helps to keep my interest, I still want to visit Shonen Jump building when I visit japan in the future.
Zangetsu

Getsuga

209279 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've never been. Though it was my dream to go to college in Japan, but I screwed up in highschool so I didnt get the chance to get into a school there. It's still my dream to go there someday, but it seems furher and further away.
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would say that I have a great deal of interest in Japan, but learning more about how the real Japan is, I'd say that I have great doubts that I'd want to move there.
With that in mind, I'll just list out the reasons why I like and somewhat dislike Japan:

1) The anime, manga and games, in addition to Japan-only publications. Most of the anime, manga and games I like are released far earlier in Japan and some of them will never be shipped to other countries. Besides that, it's annoying to buy 'original' anime here, only to find numerous parts censored.
2) From what I gather, Japan has a lot of unusual gadgets and machines that I'd like to look at. I'm impressed that they can come up with so many innovations every year (I heard about this shop filled with vending machines).
3) The scenery. Some places at Japan are simply beautiful, and I'd like to see them for myself.
4) Perhaps it's just plain curiousity. In the past twenty years, Malaysia's Prime Minister told us to look at Japan as a good example of what Asians could do.

On the other hand:

1) Wow, they go to school six days a week there. I can barely last five days. Besides that, applications to universities are difficult there and I've read several reports of schoolkids killing themselves due to bullying and stress, which is definitely not my cup of tea.
2) The cost of living there is very high from what I've heard.
3) Work there also seems to be pretty stressful.
4) I can't speak Japanese, so...
5) I can still learn Japanese history without going to Japan anyway.

The party members you never use

579843 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Andarc wrote:
Weeaboo mentallity is: a sense of rejection from their culture, and their society.. take up another nation's culture (Ironically only to be crushed by the fact that Japanese people are incredibly xenophobic)

Random weeaboo going to japan: "IM HOEM"

Random Japanese buisness man: "OMG GAIJIN!!!"

yes, thank you, that was the word that i was looking for. The Weaboo mentality. Japan's great, but if you think that you're going to solve all your problems by moving to Japan, you're wrong. American Anime fans go to japan thinking that its just like how its depicted in anime, then are disappointed. If Japanese women were even half as violent as their anime counterparts, there would be a lot of men in comas.

As for not using anime to learn japanese, I thought of a good example. Would you use Spongebob Squarepants to learn english? that is essentially what it is like to learn Japanese from anime.

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I actually like a good number of Japaneses Media but it about stops there. Japan is okay but I'd prefer living in America or England. Though I guess I should visit England and Japan before I spout something like that... I plan on doing both when I've got the time and learning Japaneses or some other Eastern language after I learn Spanish and maybe another language.

I guess I'd have to say I think Japan as a whole is probably ok.

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
Ninjar

The Shins

247440 Potch
1500 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really don't care much either way. I'm sure it would be a fascinating place to visit, but you could say that for much of the world so that really doesn't count for it.
Karushifa

155169 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As many people here have stated, I'm very fond of some aspects of Japanese culture and art, and I think Japanese history is interesting, but I probably wouldn't actually want to be Japanese.

I've always had an interest in Japanese art, and as a general fan of animation I admire the fact that the Japanese see animation as a suitable medium for ANY story, not just for strictly children's stories (Grave of the Fireflies, for example). I don't blindly love ALL anime, regardless of quality, but I do like the better works that come out of Japan. I also love other forms of Japanese art, especially ukiyo-e style woodblock art by artists such as Hiroshige, et al. And I think that the Japanese habit of making anything and everything cute is hilarious. I've just (in the past few months) started reading manga as well, which I find to be superior to most American comics.

I might like to visit Japan someday, but only with someone who is fluent in Japanese, which sadly, I am not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: